Free to a good home: Telecaster copy

ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.

Moderator: Capt. Black

Forum rules
ATTENTION! IF YOU DON'T HAVE 100 POSTS THEN DON'T POST FOR SALE THREADS. THIS IS NOT A FORUM WHERE YOU GET FREE SALES WITHOUT HAVING SOME INVOLVEMENT WITH THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT NUMBER OF POSTS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING WHERE YOUR THREAD WENT.
Cheers.
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 166 times

Free to a good home: Telecaster copy

Post by robthemac »

I bought this of TradeMe for not a lot earlier this year. The idea was for it to be a beater guitar that I could take to work/on holidays etc. Turns out it probably needs a bit more work that I have time for.

The good: it... works... I guess. It plays notes. The intonation was not terrible. Pickups don't sound terrible. Controls do what they're meant to aren't aren't too noisy. The bridge is fine. The tuners tune. From a distance the guitar looks pretty cool - silver sparkle with a flamed maple neck.

The bad: this was clearly assembled by someone who hopefully never subjected this earth to their luthiery again. Neck pocket isn't entirely straight. The neck itself is the main problem: unfinished pine (I think). It's shaped and sanded quite nicely, but feels incredibly dry and unusual to hold. The rosewood-looking fingerboard needs some serious rolling. Don't even get me started on the fret finishing or the nut. The maple veneer on the headstock was casually applied. The nut isn't cut to size and sits about 2mm out of the slot on the bass end. The action was high - I haven't tried to adjust it.

Basically, it's fine aside from the neck, which in its current state I would subject my worst enemy to.

So, I bought a second-hand Tele neck off a forum member to chuck on it. Really nice two-piece maple with good figuring, skunk stripe, walnut truss rod surround. Frets and nut finishing looks and feels fantastic. Unfortunately, the new neck doesn't sit perfectly in the neck pocket, and the screw holes don't line up. It wouldn't be a huge job to put the better neck on, but one that I don't have time for.

Tele with original neck is free to anyone who can pick it up. Will include the replacement neck for $65 (what I paid for it). I will happily keep the new neck for a future project.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Free to a good home: Telecaster copy

Post by robthemac »

Photos:
Attachments
IMG_20191108_163316.jpg
IMG_20191108_163316.jpg (6 MiB) Viewed 555 times

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1477 times
Been liked: 498 times

Post by KNNZ »

I’ll take it please ! Where’s pickup?

Mini Forklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1461 times
Been liked: 1101 times

Post by Mini Forklift »

That's a bummer, I was watching this one on TM too and happy you got it. Looked great... from afar.

Generous offer, I am sure someone will take up your offer :-)
Our heroes who art in heaven, Hendrix, Bloomfield, King et al be thy names. Thy inspiration come. Thy will be played loudly, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our guitars & amps and forgive us our purchases, as we forgive those who have gone digital.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

KNNZ wrote:I’ll take it please ! Where’s pickup?
Whangarei. Potentially Auckland but not for the next few weeks.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1477 times
Been liked: 498 times

Post by KNNZ »

robthemac wrote:
KNNZ wrote:I’ll take it please ! Where’s pickup?
Whangarei. Potentially Auckland but not for the next few weeks.
When u come to Aucks for the trem arm for your strat we can do the swap!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 1665 times
Been liked: 2463 times

Post by Bg »

damn I'm too slow :)
you JUST KNOW some Tory wanker has thought of this idea already. Probably getting the inspiration whilst fucking a dead pig.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 585 times
Been liked: 861 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

How chunky is the replacement neck ? Was it from Danny? I'm after a Tele neck.
Indeed I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his mother in Guildford. A cat, rain, Vim under the sink, and both bars on. But old now, there is no true beauty without decay.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Hard to tell as it's not on a guitar at the moment. Can take some measurements if you want. The neck was from smallface

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 585 times
Been liked: 861 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

The thickness at the 1st and 12th would be useful - thanks.
Indeed I often wonder where Norman is now. Probably wintering with his mother in Guildford. A cat, rain, Vim under the sink, and both bars on. But old now, there is no true beauty without decay.