Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Funny thing is if you think about it, most of the classic Strat tones we chase were recorded using reasonably new guitars. Hendrix's late 60's stuff would have been recorded using Strats from the 60's running into new Marshall amps. So with that in mind, to try to come close to it using vintage gear where the guitar/wood is 50 odd years older than when it was assembled is somewhat flawed from the offset. I don't know whether using Fender Custom Shop 60's RI's could in fact be a fairer representation?
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Funny thing is if you think about it, most of the classic Strat tones we chase were recorded using reasonably new guitars. Hendrix's late 60's stuff would have been recorded using Strats from the 60's running into new Marshall amps.

I've often thought this. Old gear is nice for its mojo but mojo is spendy and not necessarily necessary. :-)
jeremyb wrote:Mojo is unreliable, I want something that looks old but has young bones!

:shock:
Basket Case wrote:In the mail somewhere is the Creamback I bought a few days before the lockdown. Anyone know what's happening with non-essential deliveries that were already in transit before the lockdown?

Mine have been delivered. Courier just signs for it himself and leaves it on the porch.
JHorner wrote:
Basket Case wrote:In the mail somewhere is the Creamback I bought a few days before the lockdown. Anyone know what's happening with non-essential deliveries that were already in transit before the lockdown?

Mine have been delivered. Courier just signs for it himself and leaves it on the porch.

Did you buy it from a handsome fucker in Methven?
MattH wrote:My Strat neck arrived!

:)

Tight as fuck fit, but no neck holes. I’d take it to my luthier but he’s in self-isolation!

I was a little worried about fitting it myself too. Turned out to be okay. Right size hole, and make sure you use a depth marker on your drill bit. I used old strings as guides to make sure the top and bottom strings are well aligned.
Molly wrote:
MattH wrote:My Strat neck arrived!

:)

Tight as fuck fit, but no neck holes. I’d take it to my luthier but he’s in self-isolation!

Just fit it yourself.

Pilot holes or you risk cracking it. :-)

Absolutely no way. I'm a complete muppet with this stuff. The fear alone would destroy my confidence and I'd fuck it up royally.

Of course, after six months of self-isolation I might feel differently.