Ready... Set... BUY BUY BUY!!!!

The vintage gear forum, named in honour of the hundreds of people left vintage samick guitars in an estate....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Ready... Set... BUY BUY BUY!!!!

Post by AiRdAd »

Prices for DigiTech's $59 Bad Monkey overdrive skyrocket to $650 after Josh Scott shows how indistinguishable it sounds from a Klon Centaur

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/digite ... 8aa1uSHJFw
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Ready... Set... BUY BUY BUY!!!!

Post by jeremyb »

AiRdAd wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:25 am Prices for DigiTech's $59 Bad Monkey overdrive skyrocket to $650 after Josh Scott shows how indistinguishable it sounds from a Klon Centaur

lol was expecting this after I watched it yesterday!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

So 5 years ago - M9's -13's should be $1000 now!!

And I got a good dose of ridicule when I praised the Bad Monkey many many years ago.

Not that I hold grudges or anything.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Bad Monkey is good...for the former price
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:38 am
AiRdAd wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:25 am Prices for DigiTech's $59 Bad Monkey overdrive skyrocket to $650 after Josh Scott shows how indistinguishable it sounds from a Klon Centaur

lol was expecting this after I watched it yesterday!
Bugger, the one I gave to MikeC to fix, which he sold for a forum donation could probably now pay for the forum running costs for years.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I have no problem with people asking whatever they want for the gear they are selling. It's just whether people will actually pay such a ridiculous price that's the issue.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

They're dreaming really, its not like we're short of great overdrives, and its likely you could take any OD pedal and match it with the others if you spend some time trying to match the tone... but its likely that they will sound the same only in that combination...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:40 am They're dreaming really, its not like we're short of great overdrives, and its likely you could take any OD pedal and match it with the others if you spend some time trying to match the tone... but its likely that they will sound the same only in that combination...
Yeah that's the failing of that vid, it's a case of "can these pedals be dialed in to sound the same", but not putting the other pedal into it's special sauce setting and trying to replicate it. Kind of like taking an original Tube Screamer and dialing in both to sound like TS = BM, but not setting up the TS how every modern high gain user does and seeing if the BM can get there.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:40 am So 5 years ago - M9's -13's should be $1000 now!!

And I got a good dose of ridicule when I praised the Bad Monkey many many years ago.

Not that I hold grudges or anything.
Hey I was an early adopter... 600 bucks is fucking silly though, I honestly thought they were still making them though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

That’s crazy how much influence 1 person has on the S/H pedal market! At least he’s pointing out how ridiculous some of the hype is, there’s heaps of pedals that have been amazing over the years but totally over looked for various reasons. Then there’s the opposite with a well put together marketing strategy a pedal company can convince us to fork out hundreds for a slightly modified Timmy clone or some such.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Reg18 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm That’s crazy how much influence 1 person has on the S/H pedal market! At least he’s pointing out how ridiculous some of the hype is, there’s heaps of pedals that have been amazing over the years but totally over looked for various reasons. Then there’s the opposite with a well put together marketing strategy a pedal company can convince us to fork out hundreds for a slightly modified Timmy clone or some such.
Here's what JHS posted on their Facebook page recently:

"To the people complaining that I raised the price on this pedal and “now you can’t buy one,” I would like to remind you you had 19 years to buy one, but you never cared. This pedal has existed four years longer than JHS as a company, and most guitarists have hated on it since day one. No one kept you from trying it in 2004. Learn to listen with your ears and not trends, and you will be a much happier guitarist.

Next: People will list them for ridiculous prices, and it’s extremely easy to not to buy them at those prices. Just wait. They will return to normal, and people will move on to the next thing.

One more thing: people listing for $600 and people buying them for $600 are two very different things. Sit back, relax, and enjoy guitar with what you have. The point of the episode was to help you see that what you have is enough."
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Arent these pedals just tube screamers with an active bass eq stage on the output?
I guess it wouldnt be the first time someone has asked a ridiculous price for a tube screamer

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:00 pm
Reg18 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm That’s crazy how much influence 1 person has on the S/H pedal market! At least he’s pointing out how ridiculous some of the hype is, there’s heaps of pedals that have been amazing over the years but totally over looked for various reasons. Then there’s the opposite with a well put together marketing strategy a pedal company can convince us to fork out hundreds for a slightly modified Timmy clone or some such.
Here's what JHS posted on their Facebook page recently:

"To the people complaining that I raised the price on this pedal and “now you can’t buy one,” I would like to remind you you had 19 years to buy one, but you never cared. This pedal has existed four years longer than JHS as a company, and most guitarists have hated on it since day one. No one kept you from trying it in 2004. Learn to listen with your ears and not trends, and you will be a much happier guitarist.

Next: People will list them for ridiculous prices, and it’s extremely easy to not to buy them at those prices. Just wait. They will return to normal, and people will move on to the next thing.

One more thing: people listing for $600 and people buying them for $600 are two very different things. Sit back, relax, and enjoy guitar with what you have. The point of the episode was to help you see that what you have is enough."
I've watched a few mins of his videos, he comes across as a bit of a tit really. However, 90% of youtubers I've seen are in the same boat. I must be old.

Valid points though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

Honestly, the last time I thought about the Bad Monkey at the bottom of the pedal drawer it was to consider lending it to a friend's son. Because I didn't mind if it got a bit wrecked.

I must admit, listing it for a vastly inflated price did cross my mind.