Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Gear auction today

Post by Molly »

Went to a gear auction today. Deceased estate apparently. Easy to look over it all and imagine it was mine. Some of it was brand new.

I bought a nice '77 CBS Strat in an off-white colour (suspect refin) with non-original pickups (already in bits), a Marshall 1974X 1x12 combo (sounds bloody glorious), a Blackstar HT Club 40 MkII combo. I know nothing about them but it was brand new and only reached £250 so I took a punt, and a load of posh guitar stands.

I get that it's some dude's stuff but the more bids, the more his family gets. The auction porter said that all they basically do is circulate dead people's belongings.

20221217_162403.jpg
20221217_162403.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 4225 times

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Gear auction today

Post by clubhouse »

Kaitiaki for a 1974x 8) ! Welcome to the fold :thumbup:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Can I ask what you paid for the 1974x? And if the OT makes a burning sound when you turn it on?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Molly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:37 am Went to a gear auction today. Deceased estate apparently. Easy to look over it all and imagine it was mine. Some of it was brand new.

I get that it's some dude's stuff but the more bids, the more his family gets. The auction porter said that all they basically do is circulate dead people's belongings.
I’ve been to a few auctions for deceased estates and business liquidations…always feels like a flock of vultures picking over the corpse to me…have even overheard (many times) punters sighing or grumping, “what a load of junk,” whether the items were new or (heavily) used, brand-named or antique…

Kind of offends me when I hear that. The stuff is the material collection of a life’s work and it sounds like their proclamation is a personal judgment on the value of that life. “Easy to see how they went bust,” or “why did they buy all this old tat?”…absolutely devoid of regard for the people behind the need for the event. Says more about the judges than the judgement.

But,

“To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die…”

and come the time for a collection to dissipate out to new caretakers and homes/work use, they’ll acquire new stories and memories to be another’s pride and joy 👍

Much happy fangin’, Molly…you done good, my man!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Didn't hear anything like that, thankfully. I could tell from the time that the gear spanned that he'd been accumulating it for about forty years. Must've passed unexpectedly as some was unused.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:03 am

I’ve been to a few auctions for deceased estates and business liquidations…always feels like a flock of vultures picking over the corpse to me…have even overheard (many times) punters sighing or grumping, “what a load of junk,” whether the items were new or (heavily) used, brand-named or antique…

Kind of offends me when I hear that. The stuff is the material collection of a life’s work and it sounds like their proclamation is a personal judgment on the value of that life. “Easy to see how they went bust,” or “why did they buy all this old tat?”…absolutely devoid of regard for the people behind the need for the event. Says more about the judges than the judgement.
Back in 2020 I was going through all my treasures trying to work out what to do with them. I was likely to die soon and suddenly my precious Lowden, Taylor, Fenders and the rest were nothing more than a disposal problem for my non playing son. It's humbling to see the things that help define you in that light.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Slowy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:36 am

Back in 2020 I was going through all my treasures trying to work out what to do with them. I was likely to die soon and suddenly my precious Lowden, Taylor, Fenders and the rest were nothing more than a disposal problem for my non playing son. It's humbling to see the things that help define you in that light.
I think we had a forumite going to list them for sale here :lol:
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

robthemac wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:03 am Can I ask what you paid for the 1974x? And if the OT makes a burning sound when you turn it on?
Smells like toan...
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:50 am

Poor Oleg got informed that there were guitars likely to descend upon him. :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:08 am

Poor Oleg got informed that there were guitars likely to descend upon him. :rofl:
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

But I'm glad you held off requiring my services Slowy :-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:12 am
Slowy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:08 am

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

But I'm glad you held off requiring my services Slowy :-)
Born procrastinator, me.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Currently entering that zone meself. I totally get the times when you personally reappraise your own life’s direction and meaning…I don’t want to burden others with my personal sentimentality. It just always dismays me with the utter lack of regard when others, who never knew you or took the time, cast a judgement via their understanding of you from their perspective on your chattels. There’s more to the value of a life than the stuff of it.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

robthemac wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:03 am Can I ask what you paid for the 1974x? And if the OT makes a burning sound when you turn it on?
Missed this post earlier, sorry. Paid £700. No burning sound.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Molly wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:57 am
Missed this post earlier, sorry. Paid £700. No burning sound.
Good price. Great amp. This is the one I had a clone of built by MikeC and BG recently.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I just can't see past that a poor dude has died, leaving his sweet gear behind 😢 R.I.P