olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Your Parents Legacy.

Post by olegmcnoleg »

My mum is a huge fan of hollywood musicals, along with Elvis & Jonny Mathis. When I was growing up, we found a bit of common ground with Jesus Christ Superstar, (studio version With Ian Gillan singing Jesus :-) ) but that was about it.

My dad was into Lonnie Donnigan (sp?) (he used to play in a skiffle band when he was young). We had almost no music in common, but he did bankroll my first decent guitar.

My mum & dad would both sing around the home, which I think looking back is really useful for normalising the idea of just making music for the fun of it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:50 am My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

crowbgood1 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:35 pm No radio in the HQ Holden, so Dad would sing. He had been in a band in the late 40's and knew lots of George Foreman and hits from his era. We were familiar with his set list and would make requests. At home, there was a radiogram and some old musicals - Oliver, The Music Man, South Pacific and the usual Kingston Trio, Harry Belafonte and some Rock n Roll 45's etc. When the 70's hit Mum bought Solid Gold Hits V1 - we were all hooked! Daddy Cool, T Rex even. Well, from then on, all I can say is everybody in our family were Kung Fu fighting.
Did you mean George Formby? George Foreman spent half his life punching people's lights out and the remainder heating their lunch.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:43 pm
crowbgood1 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:35 pm No radio in the HQ Holden, so Dad would sing. He had been in a band in the late 40's and knew lots of George Foreman and hits from his era. We were familiar with his set list and would make requests. At home, there was a radiogram and some old musicals - Oliver, The Music Man, South Pacific and the usual Kingston Trio, Harry Belafonte and some Rock n Roll 45's etc. When the 70's hit Mum bought Solid Gold Hits V1 - we were all hooked! Daddy Cool, T Rex even. Well, from then on, all I can say is everybody in our family were Kung Fu fighting.
Did you mean George Formby? George Foreman spent half his life punching people's lights out and the remainder heating their lunch.
That's him. I'm not renouned for my attention to detail - strictly rthym.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:40 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:50 am My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
It's a Dr Evil monologue from Austin Powers, if you're wondering about the origin.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:05 pm
It's a Dr Evil monologue from Austin Powers, if you're wondering about the origin.
It is how I picture werdna’s upbringing :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:05 pm
Thank you. Austin Powers always brought a little sick into my mouth so I wouldn't have known that. :D

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

My parents? Nada, nothin'. So explain to me how a teenage boy on the West Coast gets so heavily into the blues. Of course, the answer is in the question. Lol.

So the question now is, what musical legacy have I gifted to my children?

Nada, nothing. They don't want my cd's etc or my guitars. And they turn off MY music in MY car. So nothing is what they'll get, I just hope I have time to spend their inheritance. Hahahahaha
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

WellyBlues wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:35 pm My parents? Nada, nothin'. So explain to me how a teenage boy on the West Coast gets so heavily into the blues. Of course, the answer is in the question. Lol.

So the question now is, what musical legacy have I gifted to my children?

Nada, nothing. They don't want my cd's etc or my guitars. And they turn off MY music in MY car. So nothing is what they'll get, I just hope I have time to spend their inheritance. Hahahahaha
Pop me in the will mate! :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Lots of church in my past, so I grew up listening to Hillsong and Classical, we were't allowed rock music until I discovered christian rock about age 12.

Parents were extremely supportive once I decided to play guitar, buying me a cheap nylon, paid for saturday morning lessons. After it was obvious I was seriously into music, they bought the electric guitar, paid for a years' worth of lessons, got me playing in the church band.

All in all, even though my parents were hyper-religious to the point of cult-iness, and are still religious today, they are wonderful people, and I appreciate them greatly.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

The Scarecrow wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:11 am My folks record collection from childhood was 70's staples; Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, ABBA, Bee Gees, Cliff Richard, The Eagles, Carole King, Billy Joel, The Commodores, Dr Hook, Leo Sayer, The Carpenter. Being born in '79, they also moved into the stuff of the early 80's like Christopher Cross, Carly Simon, Joe Jackson, Hall & Oates, Michael McDonald, Phil Collins, The Police. Growing up, the family stereo was usually set firmly to i-98FM or Solid Gold.

But it was my maternal grandparents Motown collection that stuck with me a lot as well - Stevie Wonder, Tammi Terrell, The Four Tops, The Jackson 5, The Spinners etc. My paternal grandparents only ever seemed to listen to talkback :) As a young child of the 80's, I had several teenage aunts and uncles, who I picked up my tastes from then; Duran Duran, Inxs, Wham!, Culture Club, but also lots of NZ stuff like Dragon, Hello Sailor, and the epically underrated Coconut Rough (my former hipster band of the early 00s covered Sierre Leone on my insistence).

I tend to find my go-to playlist for when I'm cooking in the kitchen, doing work around the house etc is a mix of all of thee above which chronologically begins the mid-60's and kind of stops around the early 90's.
Thinking about it last night, I must credit a lot of who I turned out to be to a couple of maternal aunts and uncles (who were in their teens during my childhood) but in particular, one of my uncles, who was the lovable vagrant rogue-type of our family. He drummed in new wave bands during the 70's and 80's before settling into worship playing later in life, which he embraced as having "a solid, packed out gig every weekend" over the ditch. Had an eclectic taste in music - everything from Sabbath to Yazoo, introduced me to Queen, KISS, Dire Straits and Kraftwerk among others. Was an encouraging presence in my musical journey during my teens and up until he passed away in 2014 suddenly at 54.

Numerous comedic memories of him during my life, but two that stand out are
- Turning up to our place in his mid 20's the night of the '84 Queen Street riots sporting a Double Brown tallboy, bruised knuckles and blood on his denim jacket. Sat down on the couch with 5 year old me with his beer, lit up a cigarette and explained to my confused parents he'd just "smashed a couple of skinheads to tried to pinch his smokes" and didn't want to upset my grandparents coming home in covered in blood. Proceeded to watch Knight Rider with me and give me my first (and last) sip of DB :lol:
- Coming to my school talent quest in 7th form in a Dead Kennedys t-shirt, bomber jacket and wearing his sunglasses at night, proclaiming his entire critique of my bands performance was "you weren't shit" but then scathingly making jokes about the other acts and smoking inside the hall foyer. All my bandmates thought he was an absolute legend when he toed up against one of the more tormenting teachers in our school (who I long suspected targeted us lot for being anything other than the First XV) who asked him to smoke outside... teacher dropped nuts quickly when my uncle gave him that same look that Jake the Muss had when he'd lose his shit.... said teacher did not give us any grief for the remaining few months of that year :clap:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

I grew up with The Beatles :)

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Ok I've been fighting this stupid joke for too long, so here you go, here's my parents legacy.
Attachments
Subaru Legacy wagon 1st generation clearcut.jpg
Subaru Legacy wagon 1st generation clearcut.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1814 times
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

My cousin is Paul McCartney (there's nobody in Liverpool that doesn't claim some sort of family connection to The Beatles).

As for influences. Dad liked Jim Reeves and some quim from Preston. So, zero influence on me. Mum liked ... no idea actually. My sister brought home Simon & Garfunkel. She played them so much my dad wrote something like: "Not to be played until 1980" on the sleeve. Anyway, I really liked that album.

My daughter is growing up and finding her way through more stuff. She likes Kings of Leon and RHCP. :-)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

My happiest moments have been my 12 yo telling me she likes Rob Zombie; and listening to Master Of Puppets thanks to Stranger Things.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster