Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by Slowy »

StratMatt wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:37 am
Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:47 am
Pvt. Ryan wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 pm PRS SE STANDARD 24-08

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/ ... 24_08_2022
Bandmate just bought exactly the guitar in the video. It really is all the PRS you need. With all respect to the manufacturer, I've played PRS that cost 5 times as much and they weren't close to being twice as good as the SE.

This is a compliment to the SE, not a condemnation of PRS.
I plan on test driving this one which is hopefully still in stock at the Manukau RS:

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/prs-se-stand ... gbag-st844
That's the one. If it isn't there anymore, I know where it is. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Bandmate just bought exactly the guitar in the video. It really is all the PRS you need. With all respect to the manufacturer, I've played PRS that cost 5 times as much and they weren't close to being twice as good as the SE.

I've only ever played 3 SEs, a Bernie Marsden, a 245, and JB's single pickup one. I think that last one was yours, Slowy? The first two had 1 main issue for me. They were quite heavy! Other than that, they were very nice indeed.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

I've tried once at Hornby RS (forgot about the model). It has a nice feel but a bit heavy.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 am

I've only ever played 3 SEs, a Bernie Marsden, a 245, and JB's single pickup one. I think that last one was yours, Slowy? The first two had 1 main issue for me. They were quite heavy! Other than that, they were very nice indeed.
Yes, Jb got his single pup SE from me. Now I have Lawrence's one, I no longer miss it.

This was my other SE. It was fairly heavy; much more so than the new Mahogany one.
IMG_1438.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1255 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pvt. Ryan
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Pvt. Ryan »

Slowy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:05 am
codedog wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:20 am

Yes, Jb got his single pup SE from me. Now I have Lawrence's one, I no longer miss it.

This was my other SE. It was fairly heavy; much more so than the new Mahogany one.

IMG_1438.JPG
Awesome. One of these days...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:20 am
StratMatt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:45 pm These new "Inspired by Gibson" Epi SGs look the business. 2 piece mahogany body, burst bucket pickups, CTS pots. What are you missing out on by not buying a Gibson?

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/epiphone-ins ... -hard-case
Its the name on the headstock that puts off most people sadly.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Epiphone-Vintage ... bn_3133908

Yep. Crap brand. Wouldn't touch any of it.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:20 am
StratMatt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:45 pm These new "Inspired by Gibson" Epi SGs look the business. 2 piece mahogany body, burst bucket pickups, CTS pots. What are you missing out on by not buying a Gibson?

https://www.rockshop.co.nz/epiphone-ins ... -hard-case
Its the name on the headstock that puts off most people sadly.
Sad, but probably true. My current number 1 is an epi LP: full thickness 50's body with satin finish, SD pup, CTS pots, ebony fretboard, mop inlays, grover tuners and the 'vintage' headstock shape. Fit n' finish is nigh on flawless, perfect frets and all for less than a grand s/h. Epiphone are knocking it out if the park lately, imo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

I just think that when people think of Epiphone nowadays they think of the bottom of the range and equate everything with that.

I also think I put "think" in that sentence too many times.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Interesting. I’ve owned a couple of Epis over the years and they were complete shit. I swore never again after the last one. Might need to give them another look… I do like the look of this:
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/epiphone-fly ... ric-guitar

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I have horrible nightmares of my high school days with everyone playing Epi LP100s, which were just horrible for the most part. But some of the mid-range ones are very respectable. I remember there was a guy on TM trying to sell his natural Epi LP for aaaages, wanted $2200, pretty sure RRP was only about $1390 but "limited edition" etc. . Wonder what happened to him.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1071 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Epiphone Japan will change your opinions. Fujigen made LPs, and the JDM ones even have the Gibson headstock.

I saw Matt Heafy playing his signature guitar live, he doesn't seem to have an issue playing an Epiphone on world tours.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:41 am Epiphone Japan will change your opinions. Fujigen made LPs, and the JDM ones even have the Gibson headstock.

I saw Matt Heafy playing his signature guitar live, he doesn't seem to have an issue playing an Epiphone on world tours.
I'm by no means opposed to cheap guitars! I've been bugging one of my high-school mates for fifteen years, trying to buy his Squier California Series Strat. Sounds average, but it is the best-playing slim-neck Strat I've come across. Probably helped by the fact that the two of us played it constantly throughout high school. It was notably better than the USA Strat I bought at the end of high school, and his Gibson 137 that he 'upgraded' too. Unfortunately it holds sentimental value for him.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I love my epiphone es339, it’s not like Gibson plywood is better than epi plywood….

Ok it has proper tuners on it and a doozy trem, low friction pots etc but it still feels great.

I’m thinking of changing the headstock….
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I have a prs se Santana that is way better than it ought to be as well :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 334 times
Been liked: 208 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I'm gassing for a '68 RI Les Paul Custom, or a PRS McCarty. Too bad the exchange rate, and price of those two in general, are realistically about 2-3k out of my comfort zone.

Even the Pound and Euro don't make them much more affordable.

These are quite cool, and affordable. Fender Modern Jazzmaster, MIJ:
Screenshot_20221006_180901.jpg
Screenshot_20221006_180901.jpg (819.64 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Last edited by JoeBlow on Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.