Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by jeremyb »

DemonFX Cali76 Bass Compressor, interested to see what this does for my bass toan.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 am DemonFX Cali76 Bass Compressor, interested to see what this does for my bass toan.
How does a company/website like that exist without getting constantly shut down?

The fact that they copyright their products seems utterly bonkers to me.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

bender wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:29 am
jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 am DemonFX Cali76 Bass Compressor, interested to see what this does for my bass toan.
How does a company/website like that exist without getting constantly shut down?

Unless theres a patent on the circuit then they don't have much of a leg to stand on, I don't think the chinese govt could give a toss about this kinda thing.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

You... play bass now?
Loving it so far

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

You can copyright the name, artwork, design, but you can't copyright circuits.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:06 am

You can copyright the name, artwork, design, but you can't copyright circuits.
Yeah, I’m talking about the artwork.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

StratMatt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:01 am
You... play bass now?
Have messed about it on and off again, its kinda fun to play!

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

2nd Spiral on the way...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Jops wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:10 pm 2nd Spiral on the way...

Are you going to have two on your board?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:31 am

Unless theres a patent on the circuit then they don't have much of a leg to stand on, I don't think the chinese govt could give a toss about this kinda thing.
Getting down into the weeds, the only thing that can be copyrighted are the pcb layout and the schematic drawing, which count as "art".
Meaning if you take the original schematic, redraw it, and layout your own PCB then it's fair game.

It goes down another layer since there's only about 7 or 8 general ways of doing an overdrive/dirt circuit in a guitar pedals so everyone is copying someone else's idea at some point. This is why people can say it's YATS when they see a circuit and not be quite correct – I'd say to be a YATS it needs the mid roll off, soft clipping, and that specific type of tone control. For instance you could swap out the buffer JFET of a Rat to be an Opamp so you'd have a Dual opamp chip like a tubescreamer, and change the hard clipping to soft clipping and you'd have it look like a YATS but not actually be so.

The ethics are all murky.

I could use my Bronson pedal as an example – I used the bedrock of a Blues Pro as the general inspiration, used the bass control of a timmy but preset the lowest bass point to do the midhump of a tubescreamer, and a final filtering stage of a Barber LTD. Is it a Timmy? Is it a Blues Pro? Is it an LTD? Is it YATS? Yeah, all of those?

I call it a Bronson because smashing that all together makes it its own weird thing.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

robthemac wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:18 pmAre you going to have two on your board?
I have a yellow on my board. I'll see if this kicks the limelight off, but that would require an improbability engine of some sorts.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Jops wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:51 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:18 pmAre you going to have two on your board?
I have a yellow on my board. I'll see if this kicks the limelight off, but that would require an improbability engine of some sorts.
Intriguing.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

TmcB wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:48 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:31 am

Getting down into the weeds, the only thing that can be copyrighted are the pcb layout and the schematic drawing, which count as "art".
Meaning if you take the original schematic, redraw it, and layout your own PCB then it's fair game.

It goes down another layer since there's only about 7 or 8 general ways of doing an overdrive/dirt circuit in a guitar pedals so everyone is copying someone else's idea at some point. This is why people can say it's YATS when they see a circuit and not be quite correct – I'd say to be a YATS it needs the mid roll off, soft clipping, and that specific type of tone control. For instance you could swap out the buffer JFET of a Rat to be an Opamp so you'd have a Dual opamp chip like a tubescreamer, and change the hard clipping to soft clipping and you'd have it look like a YATS but not actually be so.

The ethics are all murky.

I could use my Bronson pedal as an example – I used the bedrock of a Blues Pro as the general inspiration, used the bass control of a timmy but preset the lowest bass point to do the midhump of a tubescreamer, and a final filtering stage of a Barber LTD. Is it a Timmy? Is it a Blues Pro? Is it an LTD? Is it YATS? Yeah, all of those?

I call it a Bronson because smashing that all together makes it its own weird thing.
All fair points, but I was more commenting on how close the artwork is to existing pedal designs. They’re clearly infringing on copyright there.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

bender wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:19 pm

All fair points, but I was more commenting on how close the artwork is to existing pedal designs. They’re clearly infringing on copyright there.

Wow, ok. Yeah, rant on, that’s ballsy AF. :shock:
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

that's theft.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days