Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Cheap battery powered pedal PSU?

Post by jeremyb »

Am going to grab one of these cables: https://www.jaycar.co.nz/universal-usb- ... e/p/PP1976 and pair it with a power bank (or power off my computer) for when I wanna run pedals away from my pedalboard, looks like a really good option, can output 1A so would happily run a bunch of pedals off a daisy chain, I guess the question will be how noisy it is...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Cheap battery powered pedal PSU?

Post by bender »

Cool. Keen to see what you find!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

First issue, it can only be set to be centre positive, so will knock up a polarity change cable and then test out some pedals…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Somebody posted about a power tool battery solution here a while back. I remember thinking it was really clever.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

you sure about polarity? looks like you just flip the little plug on the end, same as most multi adapters. if it works its worth soldering a good connection on anyway,

interested to hear how you get on.
b.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Snarblinge wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:27 pm you sure about polarity? looks like you just flip the little plug on the end, same as most multi adapters. if it works its worth soldering a good connection on anyway,

interested to hear how you get on.
Yeah its got one pin larger than the other so you can't switch it :-(

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Went with the Snarblinge suggestion and just soldered on a plug, just been doing some testing and with my USB battery pack it keeps turning off after 30 seconds or so, not sure why, maybe not recognising something is drawing enough current perhaps? Anyways plugged it into a mains adapter and it’s working fine apart from some background noise when you’re not touching the strings… like a grounding issue… it’s never easy lads. Will persevere!!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Been using a Rockboard Power LT XL for years, out of stock in NZ though.

$112 AUD incl shipping to NZ isn't bad.

https://musicclearance.com.au/products/ ... 6268922919

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

JHorner wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:14 am Been using a Rockboard Power LT XL for years, out of stock in NZ though.

$112 AUD incl shipping to NZ isn't bad.

https://musicclearance.com.au/products/ ... 6268922919
I've actually owned a couple of these now, they are great, but due to lack of availability I thought I'd try something a bit more DIY :mental:

jubbathehog
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by jubbathehog »

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago.
https://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtop ... 40&t=36076.
I got the USB - 9V converter off amazon I think, and had to swap the polarity too.
Mine also kept shutting off, but if I connected an old Ibanez digital delay, even with it switched off, it keeps running. So I think you're right, it just needs something drawing a bit of current to stay on. I've got quite a grunty battery and it hardly ever needs recharging. The battery also has an on/off button so you don't need to unplug anything to shut down. It's been really handy not having to run a power cable and hasn't let me down yet. I hadn't seen the Rockboard Power things before I set mine up, otherwise I would've got one of those. A bit more satisfying to DIY though, when it works.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Interesting concept.
https://theguitargallery.co.nz/product/ ... er-supply/

Not sure if there is actually any benefit over a daisy chain though.

Personally I found after moving to battery power, there is no ground loop, and no noise, so daisy chain is fine. Although annoying when a section of the chain doesn't quite make the distance from one pedal to another.

I guess the 12/18v output could be handy.

(I don't have any digital pedals)