Hiwatt vs Marshall

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 900 times

Hiwatt vs Marshall

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone tried these amps before and would like to know from your experience.

Hiwatt(maybe jimmy page) vs Marshall (jmp)

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Re: Hiwatt vs Marshall

Post by griff »

Could probs say Page vs Gilmour?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Page versus Townsend might be a truer representation, if you’re thinking classic tones.

A lot more savage, chest hurting clean volume and depth from a Hiwatt compared to a JMP. You’ve not known pure, painful volume until you’ve stood in front of a Hiwatt being given some beans.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

My next imaginary amp adventure is to crank up a DR103 and experience what happens.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Post by robthemac »

Think there was a pretty original 1970s Hiwatt head sold on TradeMe last year. Tested at near 200W clean, from memory. :shock:
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Side note: If you want a HiWatt thing, with better flex around preamp drive, my previously owned ÷13 BTR23 will deliver, in spades. I see Conway has it for sale on TM for a good price. It truly roars.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Big difference in feel and perceived volume. I've been in a band with both 100 Marshall and a 50 watt Hiwatt to choose from and went for the Marshall in every live situation. Even though the Marshall was rated at double the wattage it was easy to coax into it's sweet spot whereas the Hiwatt would just never get there until way too loud (and this was back in the days when everyone used quad cabs and 100 watts even in small venues ). They do however sound glorious once at the sweet spot but for me that was only ever in a studio setting. Polar Bear's description is very accurate.
The one on TM last year was an actual 200 watt head so beyond Powerstation capabilities and probably best suited to a bass player.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

calling card wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:50 pm My next imaginary amp adventure is to crank up a DR103 and experience what happens.
It will untie your balloon knot.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

wavesofffear
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by wavesofffear »

I think the one on Trademe was a DR201? Those are KT88-based and, as noted above, probably best for bass.

Also consider that the Fane speakers are a big part of the "Hiwatt sound", as Celestion alnicos are to Voxs and greenbacks to Marshalls.

There are still good deals to be found on the 100W PA models, which are very similar to DR103s in terms of circuit. This one in Germany has been sitting for a while for example. Looks like it comes with a quad of Mullard XF2s too.

In general, I think the vintage prices are still at a point where it's worth buying a real one rather than building your own. Although matching the lead dress of Dave Reeves does sound like a fun challenge!

Mark Huss has a great site if you want to learn more: https://www.hiwatt.org/

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

My brother has lost a serious amount of his hearing due to gigging in the UK with a Hiwatt Custom 100. This was for a pub circuit band.

He did a gig at the Cambridge Corn Exchange, the sound engineer said he'd never heard stage volume like it before and he was Motorhead's sound engineer.

Sounded glorious once you got it really wound up and found it's sweet spot, but it was soooo loud when you got it there. Plus I found it one of those really reactive, touch-sensitive amps, it would pick up every single mistake or fluff.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

If memory serves correct the 40W HiWatt had a beaut chime to it ( el84 ) - combo. The Marshalls JMPs and 800s were awesome too. I guess you can coax most things from a good amp but I found the HiWatt had a great clean platform which cut through the mix well.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

WHAT?

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Marshall’s for filth.
Hiwatt for cleans/pedal platform.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Thanks for the info guys, a reactive and touch sensitive amp is what I'm after. I'm sourcing for parts to build a 100w hiwatt amp. Will let you guys know how this goes. Been hearing a lot of good things about these amps. Probably gonna build another marshall later.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

If I was looking at commissioning a build I'd get it done with 4x 6V6 power section and smaller iron. It'd still be loud.

I think that might be on the Trinity amps catalog, I'd have to follow that up to know for sure.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus