Artist Guitars?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: Artist Guitars?

Post by jhyang549 »

They also sell good value-for-money tube amps as well. Here's my Tweedtone 20R amp next to my Artist Apricus6 guitar.
Attachments
IMG_20220802_170050092.jpg
IMG_20220802_170050092.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 2084 times

head_strong
Squier
Been liked: 5 times

Post by head_strong »

I recently purchased an Artist Gnosis6 off a forum member and really impressed with it. Pickups are quite dark but otherwise no complaints. Build quality seems great and no issues with tuning etc. Really can't go wrong for the price in my opinion
Attachments
IMG20220802172134.jpg
IMG20220802172134.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 2090 times

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

One of the upcoming Artist guitars I have my eye on is the Artist Solaris

It looks like a rebranded Harley Benton CST-24T

What really surprised me is how spec'ed out the Artist Solaris is. Stainless Steel frets. Bone nut. Artist Bullbucker pickups. Coil splitting. Two point trem. Locking tuners. All for $419 including shipping.

That is insane value if this isn't going to be a bait-and-switch and the quality checks is as good as my current Artist guitars.

I hope the fretwork is good because stainless steel frets are an absolute chore to install and polish well.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

jhyang549 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:35 pm One of the upcoming Artist guitars I have my eye on is the Artist Solaris

It looks like a rebranded Harley Benton CST-24T

What really surprised me is how spec'ed out the Artist Solaris is. Stainless Steel frets. Bone nut. Artist Bullbucker pickups. Coil splitting. Two point trem. Locking tuners. All for $419 including shipping.

That is insane value if this isn't going to be a bait-and-switch and the quality checks is as good as my current Artist guitars.

I hope the fretwork is good because stainless steel frets are an absolute chore to install and polish well.
Had my eye on this as well, as it me it's a PRS SE Custom at around 33% of the retail price.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gitar »

Dang they sound good on youtube demos !

Anybody owned an active pickup model? Im listening to those "HE" pickups and wondering 2 things, how do they get them sounding so good (big brand generic actives dont sound this good)? and would I have any problems rewiring for a set of the ceramic active 57/66TW pickups? (I think these are my fav pickups on the market at the moment).

Im looking at reviews and Im not seeing things that you saw on the early model HBs. Has anyone heard of any consistent failures?

That PRS custom 24 lookalike is, amazing value too.

Honestly if a few sharp fret ends are all I have to fix I would be stoked, provided there are no majors (Im sure every brand has the occasional lemon, reality) I might just have to try one. They have a 100 day return and 3 year warranty, so how wrong can it go for $400? lol.

FYI I like the look of the thinline tele having a 12" radius neck, interesting.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

The grungemaster I have needed very little work to make it a decent player
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Gitar wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:00 pm Dang they sound good on youtube demos !

Anybody owned an active pickup model? Im listening to those "HE" pickups and wondering 2 things, how do they get them sounding so good (big brand generic actives dont sound this good)? and would I have any problems rewiring for a set of the ceramic active 57/66TW pickups? (I think these are my fav pickups on the market at the moment).

Im looking at reviews and Im not seeing things that you saw on the early model HBs. Has anyone heard of any consistent failures?

That PRS custom 24 lookalike is, amazing value too.

Honestly if a few sharp fret ends are all I have to fix I would be stoked, provided there are no majors (Im sure every brand has the occasional lemon, reality) I might just have to try one. They have a 100 day return and 3 year warranty, so how wrong can it go for $400? lol.

FYI I like the look of the thinline tele having a 12" radius neck, interesting.
If you have the cash, just buy it. Their return policy is solid. Just make sure to keep all the packaging until you are satisfied and take a photo of how it was packaged so you can replicate it for the return.

I've returned one guitar and a case for Artist guitars. My experience with them is that they don't try to weasel out of anything.

Hell, I bought a b-stock Artist TC59 telecaster that later had a grounding issue after the 100-day return but was covered by the 3 year warranty. They can't do repairs themselves. Because they had no Artist TC59 in stock at the time, I could either return it and get a full refund or get it further discounted because of the fault and keep it. I chose to get a full refund.

Return process:

1. Go to their website and follow their steps in return a product.
2. An Artist Guitars staff member will call/email you regarding why you've decided to return it. Saying "it's just not for me after trying it out extensively" is enough for them.
3. Re-package the guitar using the original packaging. Email back to Artist Guitars saying that you've finished re-packaging the guitar and it's ready to be picked up by a courier arranged by them at a certain location (your choice), time and day. They will confirm if the agreed time is okay (although couriers are fucking useless and they just come whenever on the day unfortunately).
4. After some time, the refund will be automatically be paid back via PayPal or a bank account number of your choice.

Just don't mod it until you decide to keep or return it.

It's the 21st century. People buy guitars to try them, not the other way around.

EDIT: Customers are limited to 5 x Money Back Guarantee returns per calendar year. Any Money Back Guarantee returns after the initial 5 in a calendar year will incur a restocking fee equal to 20% of the initial purchase price.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'm not entirely sure how they make any money, I returned a case that was shitty quality and it was no questions asked and they paid for return shipping, great service!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:47 pm I'm not entirely sure how they make any money, I returned a case that was shitty quality and it was no questions asked and they paid for return shipping, great service!!
I'm thinking because they don't have a showroom in NZ and they order in bulk at a time so that they can mark it up that offsets the costs of customer returns.

Also their b stock section isn't chocka so you have a lot of customers happy with their purchase within the 100 day window.

And 3 human years isn't that long in guitar years.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:59 pm
I'm thinking because they don't have a showroom in NZ and they order in bulk at a time so that they can mark it up that offsets the costs of customer returns.

Also their b stock section isn't chocka so you have a lot of customers happy with their purchase within the 100 day window.

And 3 human years isn't that long in guitar years.
Yep that B stock was a slim pickins last time I looked, one Acoustic and one Drum kit.

The other profitability could be, correct me if Im wrong, they place orders once they feel sufficient quota, or more to the point minimum quota for XYZ price by manufacturer is set? Are all these guitars coming, out of stock or new to 2022?

Thats my only frustration is what I want is 4 months out, but its hardly big interest loss from cash accounts haha. But Im curious, do they sell out in preorder phase?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Gitar wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:00 pm
I had the Les Paul shape Cimmerian with the actives. Sounded at least as good as an LTD/ESP EC-series guitar with EMG's, for about 30% of the price. Only moved it on as I prefer double cutaway and the pickup selector was obstructive to my strumming hand. But I'd get another one if they had one returned just a cheap high-gainer.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

Gitar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:10 pm Yep that B stock was a slim pickins last time I looked, one Acoustic and one Drum kit.

The other profitability could be, correct me if Im wrong, they place orders once they feel sufficient quota, or more to the point minimum quota for XYZ price by manufacturer is set? Are all these guitars coming, out of stock or new to 2022?

Thats my only frustration is what I want is 4 months out, but its hardly big interest loss from cash accounts haha. But Im curious, do they sell out in preorder phase?
I feel like the it's a little bit of both. Yeah, they don't refresh their stock frequently to a calendar year. And whatever is in stock right now is a mix of whatever they have on hand (whether new to 2022 or a lot older). You can tell whether something is old stock if the included factory strings feel fuzzy instead of new. I wouldn't be surprised if that expected shipping date gets pushed out further and further due to the current state of the world unfortunately. What guitar model are you interested in? Is it the Cimmerian?

They also recycle any returns regardless of whether it still works or not. For example, A damaged guitar amp with a loud hissing sound gets discounted half price price or lower and doesn't come with any warranty or free returns. I don't know whether you can argue that this is illegal according to the Consumer Guarantees Act.

I'd be surprised if they sell out in the pre-order phase. But I would pay by PayPal because of their within-180-day refund policy if you haven't received your item by then.
The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:34 pm
Gitar wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:00 pm
I had the Les Paul shape Cimmerian with the actives. Sounded at least as good as an LTD/ESP EC-series guitar with EMG's, for about 30% of the price. Only moved it on as I prefer double cutaway and the pickup selector was obstructive to my strumming hand. But I'd get another one if they had one returned just a cheap high-gainer.
I played one of them as well. My experience is it's at least on par with ESP LTD 200 series at a fraction of the price. Not too sure if it's better than the ESP LTD 400 series though.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:03 pm I played one of them as well. My experience is it's at least on par with ESP LTD 200 series at a fraction of the price. Not too sure if it's better than the ESP LTD 400 series though.
I got it b-stock/returned due to it having a couple of poor paint applications on the back of the neck. 9.5/10 condition otherwise. Used it record my band's last track in the studio in Drop A, for which it sounded rather huge. Agree re: 400 series, about on par tonally but doesn't have the same quality aesthetic i reckon.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:34 pm I had the Les Paul shape Cimmerian with the actives. Sounded at least as good as an LTD/ESP EC-series guitar with EMG's, for about 30% of the price. Only moved it on as I prefer double cutaway and the pickup selector was obstructive to my strumming hand. But I'd get another one if they had one returned just a cheap high-gainer.
The original model was Stealth Black ie black hardware. The new model with the newer HE pickups is the Gold hardware model.

The 2nd one to me sounds insane and certainly passed anything from EMG up to 400 series where you start to get EMG actives.

But Ive found out, like my beloved 57/66tw EMGs, these also are a passive ceramic with an active coil. Compared to the older style like 85/81 it gives much more presence and organic feel, the EMG TW set is simply like fishman, 2 tonal options.

Again, they are building something for a fraction of what others are and if the quality isnt cracked neck pockets or twisted necks etc, I cant see how these will not sell out fast. I mean an OG FR guitar for less than what an OG FR costs Retail !!!!!

It all just sounds too good to be true, which is where I think peoples brains can stumble because its very rare in life when that is not the case :-).

But cheers that sounds good, that is the model Im looking at to test them out.

Gitar
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Gitar »

jhyang549 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:03 pm What guitar model are you interested in? Is it the Cimmerian?

They also recycle any returns regardless of whether it still works or not.

I played one of them as well. My experience is it's at least on par with ESP LTD 200 series at a fraction of the price. Not too sure if it's better than the ESP LTD 400 series though.
Yep to me its coming in at around 400 series, it "looks" way better than the EC256, but its not an EC1000 either. For me the neck joint looks good, the upper fret access looks good, the pickups sound incredible for the price, I just wish they had made the updated model Black Stealth and not the Gold Hardware haha, forget the Gibson name for that model off top of my head, but the EC1000 in black as well, its just a dated look imo. But looks dont matter much to me.

No Im actually interested in the SS88FR DELUXE, the top end model with an OG Floyd Rose, for $400 (It just sounds so wrong saying that out loud lol).

Ive seen the cheaper blue maple top model with the FR Special video and that sounded damn good to me. Its all a bit surreal. I mean Hardley Bentons are not actually "that" cheap, they are cheap for what they are, but by the time you add shipping etc, you are not getting an fr1000 model sub $800ish.
The Scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:10 pm Agree re: 400 series, about on par tonally but doesn't have the same quality aesthetic i reckon.
Ok thats interesting. Although was that the Black Stealth or Black and Gold. Either way, to be fair I guess LTD have been sending those axes to the same places for what, 30 years. You would have to have figured out how to build the 400 and 1000 on mass and to flawless aesthetics haha.

My understanding this is Artist after a reboot, Im not sure if new Warehouse, or a new "Owner" of the product build, but the supposed feedback is, they are vastly better. I remember when HBs were pretty rubbish at one point, I think they did the same with sorting out the manufacturer. I know with building software, sometimes you gotta hammer out the requirements post production even if they were in black and white text, shite happens etc and the evolution of a brand is a number of iterative.