Marshall SV20

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Marshall SV20

Post by Conway »

Did someone on here from ChCh buy the SV20 head that was on Trademe?

Thoughts on this amp??? After avoiding Marshalls for many many years, I'm thinking this might be the amp for me to try. Advise please...

And is anyone selling one (head or combo, I don't mind either way)? :D
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Marshall SV20

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I forget - is the SV20 the the JCM800, or the Plexi?

I have the plexi Combo. It is a fantastic, fantastic amp. Beautiful cleans and beautiful overdrive. The cabinet/speaker design is very nice too; it's a very big cabinet for a very piddly 10 inch speaker, but nothing about it sounds boxy or small.

Downsides would be that the EQ is fiddly and very interactive and that to get distortion, it's LOUD, even in 5 watt mode.
Positives would be that it really sounds like (and is) a Marshall Plexi. I have used so many pedals and amps that claim to provide a 'plexi' tone and none of them really do, but this amp does, in a manageable format. Guys in my band like one so much our lead singer is talking about getting the JCM800 version

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Cool, thanks Ben. It is the Plexi I'm looking at.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:26 am Cool, thanks Ben. It is the Plexi I'm looking at.
I assume in the LE navy blue tolex?

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:17 am I forget - is the SV20 the the JCM800, or the Plexi?

I have the plexi Combo. It is a fantastic, fantastic amp. Beautiful cleans and beautiful overdrive. The cabinet/speaker design is very nice too; it's a very big cabinet for a very piddly 10 inch speaker, but nothing about it sounds boxy or small.

Downsides would be that the EQ is fiddly and very interactive and that to get distortion, it's LOUD, even in 5 watt mode.
Positives would be that it really sounds like (and is) a Marshall Plexi. I have used so many pedals and amps that claim to provide a 'plexi' tone and none of them really do, but this amp does, in a manageable format. Guys in my band like one so much our lead singer is talking about getting the JCM800 version
Good to know. I've been very tempted by these amps since they have come out. I wonder what the reasoning behind the 10" speaker was? Why not a 12"? I assume there is an output for an external speaker cabinet?
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

HackSaw wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:40 am
Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:26 am Cool, thanks Ben. It is the Plexi I'm looking at.
I assume in the LE navy blue tolex?
That would, of course, be ideal. Unfortunately, all Rockshop has in stock is 2 combos - one in not very appealing white, and one in absolutely hideous red and black faux snakeskin. :sick:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:17 am I forget - is the SV20 the the JCM800, or the Plexi?

Good to know. I've been very tempted by these amps since they have come out. I wonder what the reasoning behind the 10" speaker was? Why not a 12"? I assume there is an output for an external speaker cabinet?
Yes, you can plug in an external cab. And Marshall has a matching cab for the head version which is a 1x12...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 am

After avoiding Marshalls for many many years, I'm thinking this might be the amp for me to try. Advise please...

Can't believe I'm reading this... :wink:

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm Yes, you can plug in an external cab. And Marshall has a matching cab for the head version which is a 1x12...
The head appeals to me more as I've got a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks but the versatility of the combo might be handy.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:45 pm
Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:21 am

After avoiding Marshalls for many many years, I'm thinking this might be the amp for me to try. Advise please...

Can't believe I'm reading this... :wink:
Well, I had a Marshall class 5 many years ago, which I just didn't like. I've always much preferred Vox and Fender blackface tones, so I've stuck with various flavours of them.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Coincidentally I was looking at SV20 heads online last night. Bit disappointed to hear that they have to run loud to get distortion, even at 5W. Is that true for bluesy crunch tones as well?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm Bit disappointed to hear that they have to run loud to get distortion, even at 5W.
Luckily, I have a Waza Tube Amp Expander. :wink:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

But a boost going into the pre-amp should get you there.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:09 pm
Well, I had a Marshall class 5 many years ago, which I just didn't like. I've always much preferred Vox and Fender blackface tones, so I've stuck with various flavours of them.
Those little 5watt amps are almost always a bit lame. Something about that SE el84 design just doesn't sound BIG

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

robthemac wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm Coincidentally I was looking at SV20 heads online last night. Bit disappointed to hear that they have to run loud to get distortion, even at 5W. Is that true for bluesy crunch tones as well?
These are pretty loud, dry and bitey to be fair. I'll try to do some sound samples soon.