Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2022

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2022

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I've just received the prototype PCB for my version of the classic Uni-Vibe that I'm calling the Pадио Москва (Or in English, Radio Moscow. Despite my inability to spell it correctly in Russian on the PCB itself. That's why we do prototypes I guess.) Atmospheric Modulator. Here's a couple of images of the PCB.

Front:

Back:

It is named after the Soviet radio station that Fumio Mieda, the inventor of the Uni-Vibe, used to listen to as a young man and provided the true inspiration behind the effect. Due to the long distances that the radio waves had to travel, the atmospheric conditions created a unique modulation effect that Mister Mieda thought could be utilised in music somehow and set to work creating what would eventually become the Uni-Vibe as we know it.

I'll be posting updates as things progress with the build so stay tuned. In the meantime, enjoy these couple of very informative videos from Digimart's Deeper's View series featuring an interview with Fumio Mieda himself and the playthrough of a couple of vintage Univibe units.

Digimart Deeper's View: Univibe Part One - An Interview with Fumio Mieda (with English Subtitles)

Digimart Deeper's View: Univibe Part Two: Vintage Univibe - Playthrough (with English Subtitles)

~ Blake.
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator

Post by jeremyb »

Ooooh excited to hear this!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator

Post by calling card »

Villa nova junction. First thought :)
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Wow. Cool idea.

Looks like lots of surface-mount parts? Will you be selling these as PCBs, or as a finished pedal?
Nothing to see here.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

awesome. I love UniVibe, reminds me of Hendrix.

Those videos look interesting as well, will watch them when I've got a little more time (currently working, and watching my kids end of years award ceremonies live streaming on Facebook)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:41 pm Ooooh excited to hear this!!
Thank you Jeremy. I know that I am excited by it.
calling card wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:28 am Villa nova junction. First thought :)
For reference purposes:

Miza wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:18 am Wow. Cool idea.

Looks like lots of surface-mount parts? Will you be selling these as PCBs, or as a finished pedal?
Thanks. I think so too.

There are indeed a few SMD components. Mostly the resistors; in a 1206 package (3.2mm (L) x 1.6mm (W)) and the transistors (in SOT-23 package). All of the capacitors are through-hole and I am using WIMA film caps for the phase caps i.e. the traditional 15nf, 220nf, 470pf, and 4.7nf arrangement. And there are a few other through-hole components are well such as the LDRs (or light dependant resistors), the blub, and the trim pots. As I've found the inclusion of a few thought-hole parts makes laying out the PCB just that little bit easier. Also, I wanted to keep the footprint of the PCB as small as possible; the PCB itself is 85mm (L) x 57mm (W) so I could fit it inside a 1590BB-sized enclosure.

The plan at this stage is to sell it as a finished pedal. I hadn't given the idea of potentially selling a PCB separately much thought. I guess because the idea of soldering that many SMD components wouldn't really appeal to many DIY pedal builders.

~ Blake.

www.fantailaudio.com

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I love the univibe. Let me know if you need a test pilot :-)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

sty wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:02 am awesome. I love UniVibe, reminds me of Hendrix.

Those videos look interesting as well, will watch them when I've got a little more time (currently working, and watching my kids end of years award ceremonies live streaming on Facebook)
They are very informative. I'm guessing that trying to sell something in the late 1960s in the US that had anything to do with the Soviet Union at that time was probably going to be a bit of a hard sell, hence "This emulates the Doppler sound of a Leslie speaker."
olegmcnoleg wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:44 am I love the univibe. Let me know if you need a test pilot :-)
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes.

www.fantailaudio.com

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

I’ve been interested in a vibe so I’m looking forward to this!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Can I point out how lucky you were this thread wasn't deleted at first sight.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Mosfet wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:50 pm I’ve been interested in a vibe so I’m looking forward to this!
Stay tuned for more.
Bg wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:02 pm Can I point out how lucky you were this thread wasn't deleted at first sight.
I assume due to the use of the Russian language in the title and the association with less than ethical Internet practices?

www.fantailaudio.com

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Super interested in a pedal when they come out. :D

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Capt. Black wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:24 pm Super interested in a pedal when they come out. :D
I'm planning on posting progress reports here on a regular basis as I iron out any potential wrinkles so stay tuned.

www.fantailaudio.com

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah I tend to hit delete at the first glimpse if Russian in a thread title ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Bg wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:57 pm Yeah I tend to hit delete at the first glimpse if Russian in a thread title ;)
Good to know for next time. Sorry about that and thank you for not being so quick on the trigger. :thumbup:

www.fantailaudio.com