Setting Pickup Height

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Setting Pickup Height

Post by jeremyb »

Not something I've played with much, usually things sounds good enough :lol: but keen to experiment with the HB 335+ and see what a difference it makes, how do y'all do it? Came across this video in my travels... looks pretty decent!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Setting Pickup Height

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:41 pm Not something I've played with much, usually things sounds good enough :lol: but keen to experiment with the HB 335+ and see what a difference it makes, how do y'all do it? Came across this video in my travels... looks pretty decent!

I think pickup height is soooo variable depending on the output and how you like your guitars set up. I like low output, so have my pickups generally set a few mm lower than is generally recommended. Especially my 335-style. Can help deal with the wooliness in the neck pickup, too.

On my Whitfill Tele, both pickups are lowish output, but I have the bridge pickup set quite high. I like having this on guitars with one volume knob, as you can effectively use the pickup selector for a bit of a volume boost.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I hold the E strings down at the last fret, then set the thick string 3mm from the pickups and the thin string 2mm from the pickups. Then I usually end up lowering the neck pup to suit.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Depends on what you're going for. You'll get a very aggressive tone with the bobbin as close to the strings as you can get without them hitting, especially with a powerful magnet like an a8 or ceramic.

Dial it back and you'll lose attack and the harder transients but you will see slightly increased sustain due to less string pull.

Next level though is lowering the bobbins then raising the bobbin screws (on humbuckers) out of the bobbin. That's generally really round sounding, especially with an a2 magnet. Then your transients are softened and it's rather smooth.

So I have different guitars setup different ways depending on what I'm going for and the pickups inductance, magnet, and tone curve. But you can replicate a lower powered magnet type by lowering a pickup more than looks 'correct'.

Basically... It depends.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Its an interesting topic, I guess its only spawned from the fact I'm not super happy with the pickups in the HB so maybe this might sweeten things a little, I have found great joy thought in middle position, neck tone wound right off, bridge volume about half way, hotcake kicked in, so good!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

A magnet change can do wonders for not much. Major brands will use the same coils but change a magnet and sell it as something totally different.

It's a very cheap and quick mod that is 100% reversible too.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Drop down to lowest
Raise until sounds like shit
Drop back down till sounds good again

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

JHorner wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:45 am Drop down to lowest
Raise until sounds like shit
Drop back down till sounds good again
Reads like you’ve tuned carbs and/or 2-strokes. Experience plus critical listening equals noice :thumbup:

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Fuck about until you get fucked off with it then fuck it up some more.
Bit like faffing with your trem heights and regretting it as soon as.
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I just measured my PRS with P90's without fretting the strings. My action is 1.8mm across all strings at the 12th fret.

High E to Low E
Neck 4mm - 4.5mm
Bridge 2mm - 2mm

Pretty consistent with the video it seems.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Always liked this Lindy Fralin explanation:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

So I finally got around to this today after being uninspired by the HB35+ thru the spark… sounds much better, although at 2mm on the bridge pickup on the low E side the strings were hitting the pickup so had to tweak it a bit… might just finally get round to taking it to Alan Farrow for a setup and get him to work his magic!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 292 times

Post by murky »

String gauge matters a lot too.

I was playing 12-60 at one point and dropped the pickups so low they fell off the screws 🤡