Experience PRS 2021

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Experience PRS 2021

Post by StratMatt »

Not trying to change any minds but Mayer does a good half hour video explaining his reasons.

Personally I love it. I was pricing them up while laying in bed this morning, my wife looks over and says "do you feel comfortable buying a guitar that costs more than my wedding ring?" :lol:
Loving it so far

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Danger Mouse wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 pm They're great for insomnia, just glancing my eyes across one instantly puts me to sleep.

The problem PRS has always faced is for their target market, all the good body shapes are taken. So instead they ended up with something that is best described as not offensive... even with all the Private Stock offensiveness they try and glue to them.

They even admitted it with the Silver Sky, they didn't even bother to try and make it look like something other than what it was copying.
I personally love the looks of mid-range PRS guitars. And if I had to choose one guitar to take to a gig, pretty hard to say to to a PRS Singlecut or Custom 22. They are beautifully engineered and built machines. Which, yes, might be synonymous for boring.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

StratMatt wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:33 am Not trying to change any minds but Mayer does a good half hour video explaining his reasons.

Personally I love it. I was pricing them up while laying in bed this morning, my wife looks over and says "do you feel comfortable buying a guitar that costs more than my wedding ring?" :lol:
I'm not commenting on magnificent PRS guitars, but to Matt, I say your wife shouldn't be allowed to know what either her ring or that guitar costs! :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

StratMatt wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:33 am Not trying to change any minds but Mayer does a good half hour video explaining his reasons.

Oh you are so screwed!!! :shock:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Yep, rookie mistake right there!
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:52 pm They're great for insomnia, just glancing my eyes across one instantly puts me to sleep.

The problem PRS has always faced is for their target market, all the good body shapes are taken. So instead they ended up with something that is best described as not offensive... even with all the Private Stock offensiveness they try and glue to them.

They even admitted it with the Silver Sky, they didn't even bother to try and make it look like something other than what it was copying.
I personally love the looks of mid-range PRS guitars. And if I had to choose one guitar to take to a gig, pretty hard to say to to a PRS Singlecut or Custom 22. They are beautifully engineered and built machines. Which, yes, might be synonymous for boring.
With respect to Conway, I've found most fancy PRS's to be supermodels with nothing much to say. (The hollowbody excepted) But I have found two I loved; the buget basic SE ONE that Jb now has, and Molly's red one.

Though this probably says more about my affinity for simple guitars than anything else.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

LOL. Absolutely.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

My black PRS Soapbar is fantastic, its not flashy to look at which I like too.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

This is a great PRS tone. When he just plays the Hendrix amp straight it's pretty unremarkable, but the tone he ends up with is really nice.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bumping this. Be interested to hear your thoughts on his tone.

I think one of the hurdles PRS face is that their guitars aren't really associated with any classic tones on classic recordings. Nevertheless, the tone here is as nice as I've heard.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

PRS to me are so beautiful that they're almost sterile, I'm too afraid to touch them in case I sullen them with my germs, let along put a mark on them, thankfully Aramex dented the SE One from Slowy so I'm less concerned now, and its a lovely guitar, but gimme a worn out fender any day I'm in my happy place.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:48 pm Bumping this. Be interested to hear your thoughts on his tone.

I think one of the hurdles PRS face is that their guitars aren't really associated with any classic tones on classic recordings. Nevertheless, the tone here is as nice as I've heard.
You are, of course, overlooking the classic Limp Bizkit album Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:15 pm
Molly wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:48 pm Bumping this. Be interested to hear your thoughts on his tone.

You are, of course, overlooking the classic Limp Bizkit album Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water.
Anything by nickelback or linkin park?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:38 pm
hamo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:15 pm

Anything by nickelback or linkin park?
Indubitably. But none as classic.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »