HD500X

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

HD500X

Post by werdna »

Got one of TM.

What to set it up so that it's a midi controller to control my amp and an effects processor feeding into my amp.

Anyone out there done such a thing please?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: HD500X

Post by jeremyb »

I have done the latter, disabling the amp and speaker sims to use it purely for effects, found it sucked a bit much toan tho'... didn't have a midi controllable amp but...

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Oh dear, toan sucking.

All I really wanted it for is delay and reverb. Maybe a bit of chorus or flange now and then.

Is there a digital floor module that doesn't toan suck as much?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

werdna wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:52 pm Oh dear, toan sucking.

All I really wanted it for is delay and reverb. Maybe a bit of chorus or flange now and then.

I'd suggest you try it first, play around with the input impedance settings, make sure your bypassed toan isn't changed too much when the effects are off, otherwise something like an M9 or M13 would do the trick, bit old now but so is the HD :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 pm

I'd suggest you try it first, play around with the input impedance settings, make sure your bypassed toan isn't changed too much when the effects are off, otherwise something like an M9 or M13 would do the trick, bit old now but so is the HD :)
HelixFX might work for you. The effects are better and it is not trying to offer you amps & cabs or any other such malarky
There's one on TM ATM.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 pm

HelixFX might work for you. The effects are better and it is not trying to offer you amps & cabs or any other such malarky
There's one on TM ATM.
That shriek and thump I just heard........ did someone fall down a rabbit hole?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Wait, before you abandon it, are you sure you have the right mode selected? The (global) mode setting changes the tone a lot, and you would need to use the live/performance setting. (Sorry can't remember the Line6 jargon terms any more.) Do check the manual carefully.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

IIRC there are a couple of bypass modes apart from anything else. Never had an issue with mine, but I never used it just for fx.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Years ago, before I worked for BOSS, I was looking to use an HD500X for effects only (no amp modelling) but found it to have an ENORMOUS amount of tone suck and noise issues when used in this manner. (as a standalone modeller/FX unit, it was great!)

I instead ended up with a BOSS GT100, which worked fantastically and was my gigging rig for some years.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

The company name says it all - Line Sucks.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mop »

handsoffmatt wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 pm Years ago, before I worked for BOSS, I was looking to use an HD500X for effects only (no amp modelling) but found it to have an ENORMOUS amount of tone suck and noise issues when used in this manner. (as a standalone modeller/FX unit, it was great!)

I instead ended up with a BOSS GT100, which worked fantastically and was my gigging rig for some years.
I also found this to be the case when I used mine with an amp, significant tone suck. I didn’t have noise issues but normally had a gate engaged so maybe that’s why. For whatever reason the M series of effects units from the same era didn’t seem to suffer from the same issue.

As a stand-alone unit it’s ok, I’m using mine this way until I have fm3 or quad cortex $$

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mop »

Second hand gt100 units pop up pretty cheap, if there are any about you could probably sell the HD and have a gt100 for similar money

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Yeah that's odd, I still use a M13 which is the same era of hardware and there's no tone suck. I still rate that thing too, I dont know of any other pedal that can swap a variety of fx order around on the fly in the same way it can.
I have no idea if it has midi out/control functions though