rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I spent a good chunk of today building this shelving in the hall cupboard. It's made to fit a bunch of plastic cube storage boxes, which will hold things like shoes, hats and shopping/carry bags. This is pretty much the first time I've built something like this and it's come out OK. I think it will stand up to the punishment of kids and unlike just buying a shelf, it's the right size which I like.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:10 pm I spent a good chunk of today building this shelving in the hall cupboard. It's made to fit a bunch of plastic cube storage boxes, which will hold things like shoes, hats and shopping/carry bags. This is pretty much the first time I've built something like this and it's come out OK. I think it will stand up to the punishment of kids and unlike just buying a shelf, it's the right size which I like.
Is the clamp fixing a delamination?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I regretted my poor decision to buy 12mm ply, so I put a double layer on top. Started to clamp and realised it was never going to work, so I whacked in some short screws from underneath instead. Rather enjoyed this little
Project and I’m going to do some more to make wardrobes more useful

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Update from my post above about my long-running Strat build...finally

IMG_5051.jpg
IMG_5051.jpg (572.25 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
IMG_5052.jpg
IMG_5052.jpg (523.78 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
IMG_5053.jpg
IMG_5053.jpg (667.37 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

I used whatever parts I had lying around, rather than buy expensive replicas. Hence the 22 fret Warmoth neck with a modern radius an no clay dots :-)

I realise that there has been a lot of debate on here recently about 'relicing', but that guitar body (which is MJT) basically reliced itself as you see it above, with the tiniest amount of help and encouragement from me (and a visiting workman who accidentally trod on it). It has a very thin finish, and it has been out in the sun a lot over the last 2 years. I reliced the hardware and the neck to try to match the vibe.

A note about the colour. This is what (in the UK at least) is known as salmon pink. UK Fender dealers in the 1960s refinished quite a lot of sunburst Strats to be red, like Hank Marvin's. But they did not use the same paint as Fender. And when that red fades, it produces a quite dramatic pink, which looks like this.

(Still needs a string tree fitting I see...)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:38 am Update from my post above about my long-running Strat build...finally

IMG_5051.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

I used whatever parts I had lying around, rather than buy expensive replicas. Hence the 22 fret Warmoth neck with a modern radius an no clay dots :-)

I realise that there has been a lot of debate on here recently about 'relicing', but that guitar body (which is MJT) basically reliced itself as you see it above, with the tiniest amount of help and encouragement from me (and a visiting workman who accidentally trod on it). It has a very thin finish, and it has been out in the sun a lot over the last 2 years. I reliced the hardware and the neck to try to match the vibe.

A note about the colour. This is what (in the UK at least) is known as salmon pink. UK Fender dealers in the 1960s refinished quite a lot of sunburst Strats to be red, like Hank Marvin's. But they did not use the same paint as Fender. And when that red fades, it produces a quite dramatic pink, which looks like this.

(Still needs a string tree fitting I see...)
Salmon Pink you say? Strummers is a fan.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm I regretted my poor decision to buy 12mm ply, so I put a double layer on top. Started to clamp and realised it was never going to work, so I whacked in some short screws from underneath instead. Rather enjoyed this little
As long as you also glued the two sheets it will work well.
If you haven't, remove the screws and apply a layer of PVA style glue, then screw it together. I await your thanks in 12 months when your shelves haven't bent and torn out the screws.
And why have you been whacking that poor piece of wood on the floor?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:18 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm I regretted my poor decision to buy 12mm ply, so I put a double layer on top. Started to clamp and realised it was never going to work, so I whacked in some short screws from underneath instead. Rather enjoyed this little
If you haven't, remove the screws and apply a layer of PVA style glue, then screw it together. I await your thanks in 12 months when your shelves haven't bent and torn out the screws.
I did the glue+screws treatment for the false floor in the back of the van. Works bloody well, especially supporting up to 5 Bernese Mountain Dogs!

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

You have my thanks now my dear chap. Rest assured that the two pieces of ply were well PVA'd and the extra screws were removed after 24hours of curing. The poor abused piece of wood on the floor was used for some gentle persuasion when the top shelf was a touch tight to fit and needed a little mechanical encouragement.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:49 pm
You have my thanks now my dear chap. Rest assured that the two pieces of ply were well PVA'd and the extra screws were removed after 24hours of curing. The poor abused piece of wood on the floor was used for some gentle persuasion when the top shelf was a touch tight to fit and needed a little mechanical encouragement.
Excellent. Next time, as long as your aesthetics are not offended, leave the screws in place. More is gooderer. :D

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Not my finest work, but close enough for Surf Rock and Roll.
Attachments
IMG_20210501_125029.jpg
IMG_20210501_125029.jpg (8.75 MiB) Viewed 2553 times
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Bought this a long time ago for $250 off TM, an unknown brand Korean made strat that has sat in my garage for years with 5 strings on it.

I have decided to use it as a project, so gave it a clean and put new strings on it and it's not awful, the neck is actually pretty comfortable and finished well enough. I took the neck and the back cover off, the body seems to be made of wood, which is useful.

Tuners aren't great, pickups make budget strat pick up noises and everything is around what I'd expect from a good Squier or possibly a Mexi.

Going to do a super budget upgrade job, have already bought some unbranded locking tuners from Ali Express and will scope out a pick up upgrade of the cheap but decent variety (any suggestions?). Will rewire and do my best to stop slugs getting into it and teach myself a bit more about guitar set ups.

No decal on it, so any recommendations for sourcing custom decals?
Attachments
20210506_090452.jpg
20210506_090452.jpg (4.86 MiB) Viewed 2323 times
20210506_090504.jpg
20210506_090504.jpg (4.42 MiB) Viewed 2323 times
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

That body looks pretty thin, or is that just the photo?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

codedog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:39 am That body looks pretty thin, or is that just the photo?
It's just the photo, I don't have a real strat to compare with, but it looks and feels standard thickness. Good question though, I should measure and double-check before considering any trem upgrades.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Surely it has to be EMGs and Floyd Rose? 😇
Greenstone Amplifiers

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Danger Mouse wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:43 am
codedog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:39 am That body looks pretty thin, or is that just the photo?
It's just the photo, I don't have a real strat to compare with, but it looks and feels standard thickness. Good question though, I should measure and double-check before considering any trem upgrades.
I've been stung by buying a single coil sized humbucker which, apparently, fits in Strats. Evidently "fit" meant just fits. It didn't leave much room for lowering.