robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by robthemac »

Taylor just make the prettiest guitars, when they choose to do it tastefully. Will bring mine to the next gearfest. Not as pretty as that GC though!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Conway wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:49 pm
robthemac wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:53 pm Added myself to the King of Tone waitlist. It'll be fifty years until I get a build slot. Probably change my mind in the meantime.
There have been 2 sold through Trademe this year. For $910 and $955. Tempted to put mine up...
Asking prices in Reverb are well above that.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:01 pm OMG I'm in love!!!

Well maybe it's lust, but who cares.

Custom-GC-TF.jpg
Oh pretty! I bet it smells the same while its burning though :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm
Slowy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:01 pm OMG I'm in love!!!

Well maybe it's lust, but who cares.

Custom-GC-TF.jpg
Wood looks nicer than inlays :-)
Inlays are pretty too. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Went to my local RS for a cable today. Saw they had a Mesa California Tweed in stock.

Absolutely blown away. Huge range of tweed and BF tones if you use the EQ. Does sparkling clean well, and early breakup better than most modern Fender amps. Nice spring reverb, even if it isn't super splashy. Headroom for days on the higher power settings. The attenuation worked great at most power settings.

Downsides? 2W setting didn't have the dynamics or headroom, even at whisper volumes. Gain was super wooly above 2 o'clock, even with a Strat. Other than that, GAS.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:18 am Went to my local RS for a cable today. Saw they had a Mesa California Tweed in stock.

Absolutely blown away. Huge range of tweed and BF tones if you use the EQ. Does sparkling clean well, and early breakup better than most modern Fender amps. Nice spring reverb, even if it isn't super splashy. Headroom for days on the higher power settings. The attenuation worked great at most power settings.

Downsides? 2W setting didn't have the dynamics or headroom, even at whisper volumes. Gain was super wooly above 2 o'clock, even with a Strat. Other than that, GAS.
Have you tried a Lonestar?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:18 am Went to my local RS for a cable today. Saw they had a Mesa California Tweed in stock.

Not in about ten years. Found them to sound too much like Mesa Boogies. You're a fan, though?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:49 am

Not in about ten years. Found them to sound too much like Mesa Boogies. You're a fan, though?
Yes, I think they are very versatile on the clean side of things, especially the newer ones with power scaling and Tweed Mode. They can run EL34, 6L6 or even 6v6.

I just got a set of vos 6v6 tubes for mine, will be trying them out later today :-)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:45 pm
robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:49 am

Yes, I think they are very versatile on the clean side of things, especially the newer ones with power scaling and Tweed Mode. They can run EL34, 6L6 or even 6v6.

I just got a set of vos 6v6 tubes for mine, will be trying them out later today :-)
Let me know how it goes!

I'm not someone who usually fawns over amps. Guitars and pedals, sure, but I'm mostly ambivalent regarding high-end amps. Very satisfied with my VHT Special 6 for example.

But this one spoke to me. Haven't had this experience since the first time I heard a 1974x.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

New expensive 12-string of desire.

It's an offset too! :o

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

That colour is seriously perfect
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

this.... not done a tv front yet, nor a heavy relic.
Attachments
bassman_5b6_schem original.jpg
bassman_5b6_schem original.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
bassman_5b6_layout.jpg
bassman_5b6_layout.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
bassman_tv_52f.jpg
bassman_tv_52f.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
bassman_tv_52r.jpg
bassman_tv_52r.jpg (21.16 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Heres a slightly less battered example ;)

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

robthemac wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:56 pm Second-hand Custom Shop Strats can come up around the $3k mark. I play the hell out of mine, no altars involved.
You've "past participle of get" into my head Rob, and American standard/professional GAS has upgraded to Custom Shop GAS! I've sold enough underused gear to make up most of the price difference.

Now I just need to find a Custom Shop Strat with a Rosewood/Ebony fretboard, relatively slim C-shaped neck (small hands), and acceptable colour. A sunburst 1960 reissue or modern maybe. If anyone spots one let me know!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:40 pm
robthemac wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:56 pm Second-hand Custom Shop Strats can come up around the $3k mark. I play the hell out of mine, no altars involved.
You've "past participle of get" into my head Rob, and American standard/professional GAS has upgraded to Custom Shop GAS! I've sold enough underused gear to make up most of the price difference.

Now I just need to find a Custom Shop Strat with a Rosewood/Ebony fretboard, relatively slim C-shaped neck (small hands), and acceptable colour. A sunburst 1960 reissue or modern maybe. If anyone spots one let me know!
(quietly looks at the 1960 Reissue CS Strat with dark rosewood board and a slimmish C profile sitting in pieces on workbench)