WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by WellyBlues »

A fretless bass. Just love the sound of the sliding into the note, as I do with slide on guitar. I was first introduced to it via the David Munyon album Code Name Jumper which is an excellent album. It has Warren Haynes of Allman Brothers and Gov't Mule as producer and guitarist. Munyon's covers album Big Shoes is excellent btw. I also like his vocals. Most of his albums have fretless bass to some degree but those two are the best in my view.

The Vintage fretless basses get good reviews and at $699 new would be worth a look. After all the other things on the GAS list. Sigh.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:47 am
Slowy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:56 am https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... ec3a5f-001

I never learn. I had an excellent 335 style and never bonded with it. Doesn't seem to stop me wanting this though. :roll:
I have major gas for that Eastman semi. Their high end guitars are just sublime.
Same here. Trying to resist!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 am
olegmcnoleg wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:47 am
Slowy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:56 am https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... ec3a5f-001

I never learn. I had an excellent 335 style and never bonded with it. Doesn't seem to stop me wanting this though. :roll:
I have major gas for that Eastman semi. Their high end guitars are just sublime.
Same here. Trying to resist!
Well one of us has to.......taptaptap
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Gassing to zhuzh my Princeton Reverb. Want to re-cover it and I'm thinking about a speaker swap too.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Thought the Plethora looked cool, but the price :shock:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Gassing for a Mr Black Supermoon. Tentatively wondering if anyone's holding one before I look offshore?
Loving it so far

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Wairarapajack »

I'm thinking very hard about (read "want") a Fender American Professional Strat. There are some very good deals on them on Music Machine.

They're about the level of expensive that I could justify buying it and playing it, instead of putting it in an altar and worshipping it.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Second-hand Custom Shop Strats can come up around the $3k mark. I play the hell out of mine, no altars involved.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:48 pm I'm thinking very hard about (read "want") a Fender American Professional Strat. There are some very good deals on them on Music Machine.

They're about the level of expensive that I could justify buying it and playing it, instead of putting it in an altar and worshipping it.
Case in point. Bet he'd do $3k outside of TradeMe.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace ... 3011873417
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:21 am
Wairarapajack wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:48 pm I'm thinking very hard about (read "want") a Fender American Professional Strat. There are some very good deals on them on Music Machine.

That was listed today, with TM's 'no success fee' promo, so I doubt he'd want to drop the price $350 just to sell outside of TM.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

sunburster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:03 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:21 am

That was listed today, with TM's 'no success fee' promo, so I doubt he'd want to drop the price $350 just to sell outside of TM.
Ah no fees day. I wondered why there were a hundred guitars listed by 9am.

Wairarapajack
Squier

Post by Wairarapajack »

I was having a look at that one. It is very tempting and I love the look of a Mary Kaye, but I have a real aversion to Maple fretboards.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3011780175 is very tempting though. American Standards are generally great quality and it is cheap as chips.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:22 pm I was having a look at that one. It is very tempting and I love the look of a Mary Kaye, but I have a real aversion to Maple fretboards.
So did I until I bought one and played it furiously. Also, I think the fretboards of Custom Shop models usually don't have the horrible sticky plastic coating of the Standards. But YMMV and all that.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Wairarapajack wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:22 pm I was having a look at that one. It is very tempting and I love the look of a Mary Kaye, but I have a real aversion to Maple fretboards.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3011780175 is very tempting though. American Standards are generally great quality and it is cheap as chips.
Not a huge fan of the relic work, but otherwise this looks tasty and well-priced.

Wairarapajack
Squier

Post by Wairarapajack »

Cheers Rob, I'll keep an eye on it, half the price of a new Professional is definitely a plus. I hadn't seen the back of the neck photos though.