Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

Post by robthemac »

mr_sooty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:45 pm
robthemac wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:25 pm
Jay wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm Reading what you guys can hear makes me think that my hearing is way worse than I thought it was :(
Don't. I don't have any significant hearing loss, and even listening on TOTL studio IEMs, I could tell which was which.
I assume you mean 'couldn't'? Just guessing based on the general tone of your post.
Haha yep, corrected.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

The two guitars in that clip sound significantly different from one another, especially in the middle and bridge position. Caveat, i didn’t listen on a phone speaker, and I’ve not worked as an audio engineer. What do I win?
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

mr_sooty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am
Polar Bear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:31 am
The 335 is significantly warmer sounding....
The LP on the other hand has significantly more bite, cut and attack....the 335 is a much more versatile guitar, and my number 1 for both live and recording.

As I don't have either guitar (I have a pretty good LP knockoff with Custombuckers, but I have never owned a 335) you're in a better position to argue this than me. I have played both, but mostly my thoughts on the subject come from hypothetical theory and listening to comparison videos. So I am debating this while acknowledging that you would know better, but still...

Not saying 'you're wrong', just asking because I'm trying to understand that point of view. What makes a 335 'more versatile'?
I’m not sure what we’re debating, but you’re right, I’m not wrong. What makes a 335 more versatile? You can use it as an aquarium.
What makes my 335 more versatile? It has more dynamic range.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

My ears are famously tin. So didn't bother listening. I'll pick 339, best of both worlds. Or LP with EMGs and a Floyd.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:25 am Or LP with EMGs and a Floyd.
Like putting a spoiler on a Bentley...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Dharmajester wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:31 am
Bg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:25 am Or LP with EMGs and a Floyd.
Like putting a spoiler on a Bentley...
Well I don't have a floyd but I do have a stetsbar...

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Bg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:25 am My ears are famously tin. So didn't bother listening. I'll pick 339, best of both worlds. Or LP with EMGs and a Floyd.
I’m a recent 339 convert. Never understood them until I played Kiwiaxe’s

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 am
Bg wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:25 am My ears are famously tin. So didn't bother listening. I'll pick 339, best of both worlds. Or LP with EMGs and a Floyd.
What did you discover? I just assumed they were a 335 sized for women and the smaller gentleman.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

less is more....

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Slowy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 am
bender wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 am
What did you discover? I just assumed they were a 335 sized for women and the smaller gentleman.
Mostly that they look less dinky in person than I had previously thought, but also that they still have the 335 essence. They feel really nice to play. I think I’d still prefer a full sized one... but then I am a Gretsch guy.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Out of all the guitars I love I think the ES335 has the widest differences between individual guitars. Some ES335's can sound closer to Les Paul's than others, the ones that don't are more open, less focused, less dense, more woody and airy and can be more mid scooped and they are more versatile than Les Pauls for funk and soul and pop, the clean tones are particularly more versatile but the Les Paul can be more versatile for hard rock and metal where a tight focused dense sound has less chance of falling apart. I agree with Bender the difference matters to the player more than the listener.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

In my experience 355 have what I would describe to be a slightly looser, more open tone that a LP.

I'd suggest that the lighter, more resonant body does make a difference. Maybe the wood does too - 335 being a laminate top over a maple centre block. Top wrapping the TOM, or a 335 with trapeze or Bigsby helps a lot with that looser, more relaxed tone too.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Not a great deal of difference with those two guitars however with my '58 historic LP and '14 CS 335 there is an audible difference in that the 335 has a more nasal tone to it..........both have Custombucker pups.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

goldtop0 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 pm Not a great deal of difference with those two guitars however with my '58 historic LP and '14 CS 335 there is an audible difference in that the 335 has a more nasal tone to it..........both have Custombucker pups.
Now that's a useful comparison, like with like. Any chance of a YT demo?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Voxshall wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 am Out of all the guitars I love I think the ES335 has the widest differences between individual guitars.
Very true. During my guitar store experience back in the late 70's, we routinely bought a selection of new Lp's and 335's from Manny's so over a year I'd get to play and set up around 30 of each. The majority of the Lp's were pretty average but through a decent amp sounded within the Lp ballpark. 335's were a different story. Again primarily average instruments but even through a decent amp they sounded characterless in the extreme.
Fast forward to today and buying via TM or from overseas, rules out 335's for me.
Love to take a good one for a spin though. Fat neck, no binding, that kinda thing...
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson