Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

Post by Jay »

I thought I heard those wings flappin' on guitar 1 and then see it is actually the LP. Never trust your ears, vision only to determine what sounds good and what not...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

My ears may not be able to tell a difference, but my eyes can. And I want both. :twisted:

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

And, I guessed wrong. :lol:
That tone knob must have been rolled way back.
Nothing to see here.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Oh, I didn't listen to the clip...just based on my experience. Most YT clips are awful tone wise. I'm assuming this one is as well?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

GrantB wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 pm Oh, I didn't listen to the clip...just based on my experience. Most YT clips are awful tone wise. I'm assuming this one is as well?
Yeah neither did I, until after my comment. Don't bother. They sound the same.
Nothing to see here.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Not that it matters but the 335s I've played always sound really flat acoustically.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Thanks to Jay for the photo.

If I put together a video of these 2 you'd have no problem telling them apart. But then they have different pickups, different string gauges etc going on. Probably different fret sizes, wood types and they're about 15 years apart in age.

I'm not one for guitar changes for different songs anyway, and I've done my whole set with each of these on different gigs.

The biggest difference to me is that edge of feedback thing, the 335 isnt uncontrollable like a fully hollow guitar (I had an SA50, couldn't gig with it, too much squealing), but you can get the 335 to feedback with a lot less noise than the LP, and can use that as a texture in the song.

The 335 is less drag on the shoulder too, though still a bit heavy. Makes a difference on a 4hr gig.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

GrantB wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:03 pm Oh, I didn't listen to the clip...just based on my experience. Most YT clips are awful tone wise. I'm assuming this one is as well?
Maybe, but so are most live sound situations, and you can still probably tell the difference between a strat and a Les Paul. I find it very difficult to hear any thing that would give the guitar away as being a semi hollow.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Argh. They both sound like s#*t. Maybe it’s the playing. Maybe it’s because the older I get the less patience I have for bad playing. Argh.....

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:32 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:20 pm I was curious about this. You hear guys like Rhett whatsisface on You Tube going on about how the 335 is the greatest most versatile guitar ever and it's the one to rule them all, but does it actually sound any different from a Les Paul? I am curious because a 335 has a center-block, so the pickups are mounted on solid wood, so does adding hollow wings to the guitar make any difference to the tone? It seems unlikely to me in theory. The only way to really know is to listen to them blind. So I found this video. I guessed which is which correctly, but I put it down to dumb luck. You have a fifty fifty chance of getting right after all.
Did my partner ask you to pose this question?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I’ll bite.

I have a 335 and an LP both with the same bridge pickup, Dimarzio 36th Anni. My 335 also doesn’t have F Holes, so how that makes a difference in this instance, I don’t know.

The 335 is significantly warmer sounding, smoother almost. Harmonically, it is richer sounding, with a beautiful, natural feedback on certain notes that the LP doesn’t come close to.
The LP on the other hand has significantly more bite, cut and attack. Both great sounding, but the 335 is a much more versatile guitar, and my number 1 for both live and recording.

Both guitars are over 30 years old, but within 4 years of each other, if it’s of interest, and I also have coil taps in the neck pickups of both guitars. There’s not a gig I couldn’t do on the 335 and not be excited by how it sounds still.

Whoever said a 335 is the most versatile guitar out there, I tend to side with, especially with the coil tap on the neck.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I hear a growl in 335 sound, I like it. Big balloon like thing they are.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Miza wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm Surely the brightness coming off that maple cap makes a big diff to the LP tone?
Why? A 335 is a maple block wrapped in a maple plywood box.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:08 am
Miza wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm Surely the brightness coming off that maple cap makes a big diff to the LP tone?
Why? A 335 is a maple block wrapped in a maple plywood box.
And maple is used because it is strong, cheap and easy to press into curves shapes. Ply is used because it is LESS resonant, to avoid having feedback problems maybe? And it is cheaper still. So, just a budget guitar then. ;-)

They sound great to me though.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Polar Bear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:31 am I’ll bite.

I have a 335 and an LP both with the same bridge pickup, Dimarzio 36th Anni. My 335 also doesn’t have F Holes, so how that makes a difference in this instance, I don’t know.

The 335 is significantly warmer sounding, smoother almost. Harmonically, it is richer sounding, with a beautiful, natural feedback on certain notes that the LP doesn’t come close to.
The LP on the other hand has significantly more bite, cut and attack. Both great sounding, but the 335 is a much more versatile guitar, and my number 1 for both live and recording.

Both guitars are over 30 years old, but within 4 years of each other, if it’s of interest, and I also have coil taps in the neck pickups of both guitars. There’s not a gig I couldn’t do on the 335 and not be excited by how it sounds still.

Whoever said a 335 is the most versatile guitar out there, I tend to side with, especially with the coil tap on the neck.
Would be interesting to hear recorded comparisons. Especially blind ones.