Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

Post by mr_sooty »

I was curious about this. You hear guys like Rhett whatsisface on You Tube going on about how the 335 is the greatest most versatile guitar ever and it's the one to rule them all, but does it actually sound any different from a Les Paul? I am curious because a 335 has a center-block, so the pickups are mounted on solid wood, so does adding hollow wings to the guitar make any difference to the tone? It seems unlikely to me in theory. The only way to really know is to listen to them blind. So I found this video. I guessed which is which correctly, but I put it down to dumb luck. You have a fifty fifty chance of getting right after all.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 460 times

Re: Les Paul v 335 - can you really hear the difference?

Post by werdna »

I don't have much faith that many people can hear the difference.

It's like wine tasting.

One night a colleague and I won a wine tasting event, by a mile - 75% answered correctly. But it was almost impossible for us to tell the difference between the wines, and neither of us enjoyed the expensive stuff any more than the normal stuff. There were people in the competition with cellars worth tens of thousands of pounds who got terrible scores. Wine is really just foul tasting Ribena. But if you can afford expensive wine, and you want bragging rights, good on you.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

335's look cooler though, right?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

werdna wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:27 pm I don't have much faith that many people can hear the difference.

It's like wine tasting.

One night a colleague and I won a wine tasting event, by a mile - 75% answered correctly. But it was almost impossible for us to tell the difference between the wines, and neither of us enjoyed the expensive stuff any more than the normal stuff. There were people in the competition with cellars worth tens of thousands of pounds who got terrible scores. Wine is really just foul tasting Ribena. But if you can afford expensive wine, and you want bragging rights, good on you.
Which is why I drink cheap wine. If it doesn't make me gag it does its job :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I was watching another video about the 4 guitars every guitarist 'needs' (Man there's a lot of bullshit on You Tube): Apparently it's Strat, Tele, LP and 335. I thought, why does anyone NEED an LP and a 335? I mean I can understand you might WANT one, I own lots of things I definitely don't need. But really, apart from 'to show your uni friends you're serious about jazz', what is a 335 actually giving you tonally that an LP isn't? (or vice versa, you know, if you have a 335, do you NEED a LP?)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I play at low enough volumes to be able to hear the acoustic sound of my electric guitars. So can certainly hear the difference when I play.

I did a blind test when I had my PRS SC and 335. Could definitely hear a difference, but that's something with a little more difference.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Clean tones I think it makes a difference, add any gain in and you might as well be playing a broomstick....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

335, the one classic guitar I've never owned. The bodies always feel too big for comfort and I've never felt jazz enough to justify owning one.
However a good one can definitely cover 90% of a LP's range and other territory a LP would never enter.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

mr_sooty wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:20 pm I was curious about this. You hear guys like Rhett whatsisface on You Tube going on about how the 335 is the greatest most versatile guitar ever and it's the one to rule them all, but does it actually sound any different from a Les Paul? I am curious because a 335 has a center-block, so the pickups are mounted on solid wood, so does adding hollow wings to the guitar make any difference to the tone? It seems unlikely to me in theory. The only way to really know is to listen to them blind. So I found this video. I guessed which is which correctly, but I put it down to dumb luck. You have a fifty fifty chance of getting right after all.
Did my partner ask you to pose this question?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

With same amp, similar pickups and same scale length most guitars would probably sound very close in a youtube clip.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

I have a 73 guild starfire which is like a 335 but $10k cheaper and I can confirm that they are a very versatile guitar. The solid bodies I have owned ( Epiphone Coronet, LP junior, Tele ) have all been a lot less versatile in terms of the type of music they can handle. One of my guitar buddies who is actually a pretty good player fell in love with mine last week as he demonstrated styles from African to funk to jazz to rock and blues all through the Starfire quite happily. Sounded superb throughout. The pickups at that stage were GFS vintage 59's.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

Footnote: I dont find it very comfortable to play sitting down.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

I can hear the difference. But as said, add a bit of gain and things become hazy...still, feedback and added looseness in the mid range can give it away even then.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

Also, I think modern 335s and Les Pauls using current production hardware do sound more alike. I just think current pickups and pots etc aren't going to make the intrinsic aspects of the machine stand out as much. I could be waffling however.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Surely the brightness coming off that maple cap makes a big diff to the LP tone?
I've always felt the LP and Tele share a lot of DNA in terms of that spanky, tight tone.
Dean DeLeo's weapons of choice. And Jimmy Page.
Nothing to see here.