Deluxe Reverb for MogwaiBoy

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Deluxe Reverb for MogwaiBoy

Post by GrantB »

There's lots of horn in this thread.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Bg wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:00 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:44 pm Collecting this weekend. Strongly considering getting BG to build me a matching cab... a Mesa style vertical 2x12 but in Fender drag.
I do think that will be damn awesome, however give me warning as I need to order in silver grillcloth, extortionate price in nz. I have some stuck in european shipping currently, but not enough.
Will do! It won't be a quick decision. I'm going to get the amp first and try it through what I have, then decide (and fundraise). Mike knows I can dither a bit but I'm not a total tyrekicker : )

PS. What about the grillcloth with a tingle of blue through it, like they used on silveface amps? I think I like that better than the regular anyway. How available is that stuff?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:44 pm Collecting this weekend. Strongly considering getting BG to build me a matching cab... a Mesa style vertical 2x12 but in Fender drag.
I do think that will be damn awesome, however give me warning as I need to order in silver grillcloth, extortionate price in nz. I have some stuck in european shipping currently, but not enough.
Will do! It won't be a quick decision. I'm going to get the amp first and try it through what I have, then decide (and fundraise). Mike knows I can dither a bit but I'm not a total tyrekicker : )

PS. What about the grillcloth with a tingle of blue through it, like they used on silveface amps? I think I like that better than the regular anyway. How available is that stuff?
Same price sadly.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:40 pm

You're alright Mr Mogwaiboy. I just hope you like how she sounds :thumbup:
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Aroused.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

After a family trip to Auckland I picked this amp up and given it a test through my Marshall cab - just plugged straight in with my USA Tele, haven't tested with my pedals yet. Sounds beautiful! The natural compression is really addictive. Real "sound in my head" Fender cleantone. I'm very happy! Can't wait to jam it with the band - I know it won't stay clean at our volumes but that's what I'm looking for, some natural push and harmonics.

MikeC and BG have done wonderful jobs on the amp and cab build. I do think it looks odd with my Marshall cab and there's a slight overhang, so it's a little precarious sitting on top. Which means I need to source a good cab. BG I will be in touch :D

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Update: Drove up to Auckland today to pickup the 2x12 Bassman style cab from BG.

Has Celestion G12M-65 Creamback speakers in it and is "convertible" with the back split into 3 separate panels, each of which I can remove. I'm keeping it closed-back for now. Unfortunately due to availability and as these were completed at quite different times, the speaker cab has different/brighter grillcroth than the head cab. I like the speaker cab grillcloth best and kinda wish the head had it too, but it's no biggie! Also I put a blue Fender amp jewel on it, and because the bulb inside is yellow-ish, it glows a kind of teal colour - nice!

How does it sound? Heavenly. Going to test it in stereo with my Mesa Electra Dyne next and drag the whole kit out to jam to see if it keeps up with the drummer.

MikeC and BG did a wonderful job on these for me. Thank youuuu : )

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Weird about the grillcloth, both came from livesound because covid. I have enough left to redo the amp if you want.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Bg wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:10 am Weird about the grillcloth, both came from livesound because covid. I have enough left to redo the amp if you want.
Oooh, tentative yes please - but happy for now!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'll hang onto it for you, it would only take about an hour to change over, drop off on your way to MOTAD - pick up on the way home :D