jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am

I know Chris Buck has come up before in my absence, but I love watching his vids. He's the complete blues-based guitarist for me, note choice, technique, timing and feel... perfection. If I could be an exact copy of anyone, it would be Chris.

Some interesting bits about the history of the Strat in here too.
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
I enjoy watching Paul's vids, I learn a lot from them and he certainly knows his stuff, but I find his playing to be in the good spectrum rather than great. That vid where he copied Chris's solo on the guitar challenge thing he put together (which I assume is what you're talking about) highlighted that very well.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I know Chris Buck has come up before in my absence, but I love watching his vids. He's the complete blues-based guitarist for me, note choice, technique, timing and feel... perfection. If I could be an exact copy of anyone, it would be Chris.

Yeah, he's a fantastic guitarist for all the reasons DM mentioned above. I can only watch him in small doses though. I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much. The only other one I have seen is the current Andertons acoustic guy, Ben someoneorother, big ginger bearded dude. I'm fully qualified to make these comments because I can't play for shite :lolno: :roll:

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 am
I enjoy watching Paul's vids, I learn a lot from them and he certainly knows his stuff, but I find his playing to be in the good spectrum rather than great. That vid where he copied Chris's solo on the guitar challenge thing he put together (which I assume is what you're talking about) highlighted that very well.
I enjoy Paul's channel too. His production skills are next level imo. I think he started the 'reading lamp in the corner of the shot' thang. See it everywhere now. :lol:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 am
That's the one! Fully agree with your comments too!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Burgs in an acoustic frame of mind being tasty and inspiring

Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

Enjoying Pete Thorn more and more. Love how Vai defines success.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

codedog wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much.
Exactly my thoughts too. Don't know what it's called when you slide really quickly from fret to fret but Chris seems to do this ALL the time and I find it more than a little grating

Having said that he is still is a very good guitarist and I dig his tone and style, just can't listen to him in big doses

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

I would never, could never have the nous or the patience to do this. Doesn't stop me feeling like I'm wasting my life though.

https://youtu.be/Hi3y5QRzMOE
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

codedog wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am

Yeah, he's a fantastic guitarist for all the reasons DM mentioned above. I can only watch him in small doses though. I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much. The only other one I have seen is the current Andertons acoustic guy, Ben someoneorother, big ginger bearded dude. I'm fully qualified to make these comments because I can't play for shite :lolno: :roll:
I wasn't aware Paul Davids was a lurker on here, but I think he's read your post... :lol:

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am

I wasn't aware Paul Davids was a lurker on here, but I think he's read your post... :lol:

:lol: :thumbup: YouTube notified me of that video but I hadn't had a chance to see it. Blimey, that's quite pronounced, eh? I have to go back and watch Chris Buck's videos, can't recall hearing it there.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Interesting doco:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am Interesting doco:

Ooo I'll save that for a later watch. Rich Hall is one of my favourite comedians, but like most successful comedians there's clearly a very smart guy behind the quick wit.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm
Molly wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am Interesting doco:
Ooo I'll save that for a later watch. Rich Hall is one of my favourite comedians, but like most successful comedians there's clearly a very smart guy behind the quick wit.
I noticed there are a couple of docos. Looks like they're an unofficial upload (not from BBC4) so I'd watch them while you can.

Edit: Just watched that one. :thumbup:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

codedog wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am

:lol: :thumbup: YouTube notified me of that video but I hadn't had a chance to see it. Blimey, that's quite pronounced, eh? I have to go back and watch Chris Buck's videos, can't recall hearing it there.

I suspect we have more than one famous lurker on here, I think Chris has also now read this thread and is intentionally trying to wind you up at the beginning :D