Pyramid strings

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

quyet
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Pyramid strings

Post by quyet »

That wee shop on Dominion rd has these stocked. Picked up some packs of the 'superior quality' type for $16 a pack. Quite like the medium/heavy set, but I'll wait till they've settled in. Anyone else rock this brand? Seems a shop in Whangarei has flatwounds as well, but at $50 a pack lol

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re: Pyramid strings

Post by IMOCD »

quyet wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:37 am That wee shop on Dominion rd has these stocked. Picked up some packs of the 'superior quality' type for $16 a pack. Quite like the medium/heavy set, but I'll wait till they've settled in. Anyone else rock this brand? Seems a shop in Whangarei has flatwounds as well, but at $50 a pack lol
Yep, I rock both types of Pyramids (round core and hex core) from time to time. Really like them; warm yet clear, sustain and long lasting. Word to the wise though, beware of the wound g (if that's the route you go) as I have had several unravel on me.

As for flats, our man Mr Sooty sells Ti flats at a great price. That's where I get mine from.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

The flatwounds are very good, so long as you leave them alone. I had to remove the bottom E during maintenance; it unravelled. An expensive experience.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I've never tried the Pyramid guitar strings, but I stock Pyramid Violin strings as a much cheaper alternative to the more expensive Thomastik strings which are the industry standard The Violin teachers hate the pyramids and ask their students not to get them. Perhaps we guitarists are less fussy than violin players. I stock Thomastik flatwound guitar strings but haven't actually tried them either.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

quyet wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:37 am That wee shop on Dominion rd has these stocked. Picked up some packs of the 'superior quality' type for $16 a pack. Quite like the medium/heavy set, but I'll wait till they've settled in. Anyone else rock this brand? Seems a shop in Whangarei has flatwounds as well, but at $50 a pack lol
the shop behind Fresho?

Watch fresho, they are notorious for ripping people off.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

mrmofo wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:01 am
the shop behind Fresho?

Watch fresho, they are notorious for ripping people off.
Yeah screw fresho and taiping, I shop at jandan

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

the BBQ pork from Jaydan is top notch
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

So far I haven't been able put the guitar down. They sound more open and lively than elixers, which I'm used to. Definitely a bit slinkier than other brands of the same gauge

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Is that hewitt’s fiddle shop?
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

Kev77 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:16 pm Is that hewitt’s fiddle shop?
Yeah

Bigdaddy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bigdaddy »

mr_sooty wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 am I've never tried the Pyramid guitar strings, but I stock Pyramid Violin strings as a much cheaper alternative to the more expensive Thomastik strings which are the industry standard The Violin teachers hate the pyramids and ask their students not to get them. Perhaps we guitarists are less fussy than violin players. I stock Thomastik flatwound guitar strings but haven't actually tried them either.
Is that the Family Music Store? Got the Jazz Swing set in October. Do you have the 12-50 set in stock? They are way better than the d'addario chromes.
"Have tone issues with all the options available today? practice more...." -John Suhr

quyet
Gibson

Post by quyet »

-ignore this confused post lol-
Last edited by quyet on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Bigdaddy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:04 pm
mr_sooty wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:45 am I've never tried the Pyramid guitar strings, but I stock Pyramid Violin strings as a much cheaper alternative to the more expensive Thomastik strings which are the industry standard The Violin teachers hate the pyramids and ask their students not to get them. Perhaps we guitarists are less fussy than violin players. I stock Thomastik flatwound guitar strings but haven't actually tried them either.
Is that the Family Music Store? Got the Jazz Swing set in October. Do you have the 12-50 set in stock? They are way better than the d'addario chromes.
Yeah, no I don't have any right now but I'll check if there are any at the wholesaler and let you know.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Bigdaddy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:04 pm
Update, just ordered some 12's, should have them early this coming week.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I use Pyramid Gold flats on one guitar. Great strings, something like $70-80 a set though!