vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: NAD x 2

Post by vyfster »

I'm so jealous! Congrats! I call 3rd dibs on that marshall .. not that I'd be able to afford it but maybe I'll win the lotto!

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 413 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Here's me wishing you were in Auckland so I could ask to come over and play that Marshall :)

Btw if you need any advice on running those amps with load boxes etc let me know.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

So I am I 4th for the Marshall?? In any case congrats. They both look amazing. Look forward to hearing more about them.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

bluesierra wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:04 pm So I am I 4th for the Marshall?? In any case congrats. They both look amazing. Look forward to hearing more about them.
Yep, 4th in line :thumbup:

chur
Darth Sabbathi
vyfster
bluesierra
blackstratblues wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:41 pm Btw if you need any advice on running those amps with load boxes etc let me know.
Cheers. The Marshall won't be used much until I get a Fryette - that's what the previous owner was using and it seemed to tame it well enough for it to break up without shattering all the windows

My Laney is what I'll use when I want some effects

Really enjoying the Gigboard, my main preset is nicely loaded with everything I use such as a very full sounding leslie, a Jimi-esque Univibe, a couple of delays running into each other (one set at 350ms and the other at 500ms), chorus, tremolo etc

I have a feeling that the ODS will become my 'go to' amp, just a reverb in the FX loop and that's it. I'll get the drive from the amp and hopefully become a much better player for it

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

One in, one to go :)
Attachments
53164613-FFA9-42A9-AD9A-7F31C9252F03.jpeg
53164613-FFA9-42A9-AD9A-7F31C9252F03.jpeg (383.31 KiB) Viewed 2913 times

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

You can't beat the toan and aesthetics of those old Marshalls, yummo!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm You can't beat the toan and aesthetics of those old Marshalls, yummo!
Aesthetically it has it going on and yeah, it’s four years older than me! These old Marshall’s just have so much character to them, if only it could speak. I’m sure it has so many stories it could share

Gonna borrow chur’s BadCat Unleash attenuator for it

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

I think you got it off the guy I sold it too, I can't remember because his brother drove up to collect it off me. I got it from the Auckland Rockshop when I was a Uni student, when I first got it I was running a three 100 watt Marshall rig ha ha no way I could get away with that these days, also had a Slash Sig Marshall Head and cab and a JCM800 and it was the best sounding one out of three so ended up selling the other two Marshalls and keeping this one. I was then mixing it with an old 60's Vox AC30 hence my user name, then added a late 60's Super Reverb as well. Eventually (after 20 years) running three big heavy amps it started to get a bit tough to cart around, so I sold the Marshall 2-3 years ago and my late 60's Super Reverb to downsize to a small and easy grab and go Two Rock. If you ever get a chance to buy a vintage Marshall 4x12 to go with it the tones are even more amazing. I used a basketweave that didn't have the covering on it anymore and also owned a 4x12HW which I also sold. I think the Power Transformer blew before I got it and was replaced early in it's life with an old Douglas Transformer, luckily it didn't effect it sounding like a roaring Marshall. I changed the filter caps definitely once maybe twice had Fix it Phil and Ryan at the Amp shop do the work. I had NOS tubes in there but took them out before I sold them, I can't remember my fav tubes I think Mullards and RFT and didn't like Telefunken that was in there when I got it.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Voxshall wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 am I think you got it off the guy I sold it too, I can't remember because his brother drove up to collect it off me. I got it from the Auckland Rockshop when I was a Uni student, when I first got it I was running a three 100 watt Marshall rig ha ha no way I could get away with that these days, also had a Slash Sig Marshall Head and cab and a JCM800 and it was the best sounding one out of three so ended up selling the other two Marshalls and keeping this one.
That's cool to know, well you now know where it is if you have a hankering to get it back and your back is feeling strong haha. I'm loaning it to chur soon, he has a JCM800 plus a few other Marshall's that he's keen to compare it to. He said he'll give me his Bad Cat Unleash attenuator to use for a bit with it, just so I can try it out before I decide on anything. I can't believe you used to run 3 Marshall's together and you still have your hearing :lol:
Voxshall wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 am I was then mixing it with an old 60's Vox AC30 hence my user name, then added a late 60's Super Reverb as well.
I had wondered about your userrname, well that all makes sense now
Voxshall wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 am If you ever get a chance to buy a vintage Marshall 4x12 to go with it the tones are even more amazing. I used a basketweave that didn't have the covering on it anymore and also owned a 4x12HW which I also sold.
It's on the list of things to buy, kind of a must have. Won't even mention it to the wife - it'll just appear one day :wink:
Voxshall wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 am I think the Power Transformer blew before I got it and was replaced early in it's life with an old Douglas Transformer, luckily it didn't effect it sounding like a roaring Marshall. I changed the filter caps definitely once maybe twice had Fix it Phil and Ryan at the Amp shop do the work. I had NOS tubes in there but took them out before I sold them, I can't remember my fav tubes I think Mullards and RFT and didn't like Telefunken that was in there when I got it.
Good to know about the transformer, the seller did mention that to me as he recently had it serviced. The tubes that are in it now are 4 x Svetlana EL34, 2 x Svetlana 12AX7 and a Mullard 12AX7 in V1

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Voxshall wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 amI was running a three 100 watt Marshall rig ha ha no way I could get away with that these days, also had a Slash Sig Marshall Head and cab and a JCM800 and it was the best sounding one out of three so ended up selling the other two Marshalls and keeping this one. I was then mixing it with an old 60's Vox AC30 hence my user name, then added a late 60's Super Reverb as well.
Do you have any hearing left at all???? :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Do you have any hearing left at all???? :lol:
[/quote]

The ringing fades away to the distance no problem if you learn to stop focusing on it :lol: I lived on 65 acres so no one lived nearby, but once I cranked that Marshall full tilt and had a neighbor show up in a rushed panic to make sure everyone was ok. I'll never forget the look on his face like we had entered a war zone. Playing through a cranked Marshall is something every guitarist has to experience at least once in life though.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Voxshall wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:42 am Playing through a cranked Marshall is something every guitarist has to experience at least once in life though.
I am living in hope :?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Thanks heaps to chur who has loaned me his attenuator. Have to say that with some tweaking this Marshall + Strat really gets into the 1970 Hendrix ballpark

Quite funny, you can turn the Bass and the Middle knobs from 0-10 and hear no audible difference. Treble and Presence seem to be where it’s all happening
Attachments
68D093DD-21F0-457C-B518-555C750B9F80.jpeg
68D093DD-21F0-457C-B518-555C750B9F80.jpeg (275.92 KiB) Viewed 2635 times

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

The haul is complete. At least for now anyway
Attachments
30EA542E-6F19-420C-ADDC-7A591F033246.jpeg
30EA542E-6F19-420C-ADDC-7A591F033246.jpeg (389.75 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:23 pm The haul is complete. At least for now anyway
Blimin nora.. quite the backline! :thumbup:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..