Gibson to carry the Mesa Boogie 'torch'..

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: Gibson to carry the Mesa Boogie 'torch'..

Post by olegmcnoleg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:06 am Mesa make great amps, they are expensive here but not in all country's. Prices dropped significantly in the UK recently. They make lots of different sounding amps so saying a Gibson guitar with a Mesa doesn't work makes no sense. They look more complex than they really are, they have a few switching options and some extra circuitry to make that switching quiet in the studio. I have worked on a few them, they are well built and they no more complex or harder to fix than other modern PCB designs. I would still love to get hold of a Lonestar Special.

Nor sure what to make of Gibson buying them, if its purely a financial investment and they leave them alone then it should be ok. If they bring out Gibson branded amps and still keep and develop the Mesa line then that would be ok to I guess. If they bring "Historc" MKI Boogies and charge $10,000 for them then we have choice not to buy them, same as their insanely overpriced "Historic" guitars.
I’ve owned a Lonestar Special and sold it so I could buy the original version, which I like more. It still scales down to 10w power output, and it has the Tweed option. And you can swap out the 6L6s for 6v6s, depending on whether you want headroom or a little grit. Outstanding amp.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:45 am I wonder if this will affect the used price of pre-gibson Mesa amps.
Awaiting the raft of over-priced pre-gibson boogies on reverb.com :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

StratMatt wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:45 am
werdna wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:43 am From a sound perspective, Gibson and Marshall, yes, Gibson and Friedman, yes, PRS and MB, yes, Fender and MB, yes, Gibson and MB, no.
A sound, or an image perspective?
Sound. Never managed to get a Gibson to sound great through a MB. Fenders are no trouble.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Were Mesa struggling? Not sure how I feel about this. A clearance deal on a Lonestar might help me figure things out 😋

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:36 am Were Mesa struggling? Not sure how I feel about this. A clearance deal on a Lonestar might help me figure things out 😋

Randall is 75, he probably wants to retire soon and ensure the continuation of his brand.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I expect its the same situation as Soldano, the guys that own it are retiring and want the cash now before they die.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Can't wait for that twat to do a video stating that they will be coming for all amp makers that steal Mesa Goobies idea and shut them down lol
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Thankfully circuit designs are not covered under copyright. You can Patent certain aspects though, and Boogie have a fair few of those.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

My Dad has one of the newer 35w combos (forget the model but it came out in the last few years. I thought it was a great amp; it was dynamic, was easier to use than it looks and the power scaling options were a great addition. Having said that he also has a Cornford head, and side by side IMHO that sounded better

That’s the only MB I’ve ever played through so I have a good first impression of them, and up until all of the COVID shit started happening he was gigging it most weekends. Seeing as his pride and joy is a 1977 Gibson ES355 I can imagine this merge bringing a smile to his face. Personally I’m pretty impartial, will be interesting to see what happens but I’m sure first and foremost it’s just business. Wouldn’t surprise me if they have plans to keep it for 4 or 5 years and then sell

Take home message is make sure you all ‘Play Authentic:D
Last edited by Mini Forklift on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:54 am Thankfully circuit designs are not covered under copyright. You can Patent certain aspects though, and Boogie have a fair few of those.
Randall took full advantage of that with the SLO circuit eh

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:13 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:06 am Mesa make great amps, they are expensive here but not in all country's. Prices dropped significantly in the UK recently. They make lots of different sounding amps so saying a Gibson guitar with a Mesa doesn't work makes no sense. They look more complex than they really are, they have a few switching options and some extra circuitry to make that switching quiet in the studio. I have worked on a few them, they are well built and they no more complex or harder to fix than other modern PCB designs. I would still love to get hold of a Lonestar Special.

Nor sure what to make of Gibson buying them, if its purely a financial investment and they leave them alone then it should be ok. If they bring out Gibson branded amps and still keep and develop the Mesa line then that would be ok to I guess. If they bring "Historc" MKI Boogies and charge $10,000 for them then we have choice not to buy them, same as their insanely overpriced "Historic" guitars.
I’ve owned a Lonestar Special and sold it so I could buy the original version, which I like more. It still scales down to 10w power output, and it has the Tweed option. And you can swap out the 6L6s for 6v6s, depending on whether you want headroom or a little grit. Outstanding amp.
This is the only Mesa I would contemplate owning. I remember when the Rockshop got the first lot in and I played it - I was blown away. Especially the tone at low volume.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I think Andy Timmons is bigtime into the Lonestar Specials too

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

The triple crown sounds really great to me!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 am I think Andy Timmons is bigtime into the Lonestar Specials too
Yes, that’s right, and Dominic Miller, Sting’s guitarist.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:34 am
Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 am I think Andy Timmons is bigtime into the Lonestar Specials too
Yes, that’s right, and Dominic Miller, Sting’s guitarist.
... and of course Mick from That Pedal Show