Moderator: Capt. Black

Jake
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

I put out a 7" vinyl

Post by Jake »

Not trying to do the self promo thing here, but thought some of you gents might be interested, I released a 45rpm record today. One track on each side in marbled black and white vinyl which turned out quite nice. Happy to talk through the process if anyone else is considering getting stuff like this made.

https://viicesmusic.bandcamp.com/album/double-denim

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Re: I put out a 7" vinyl

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Yes please! How did you do it? Congrats :)

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 am Yes please! How did you do it? Congrats :)
Cheers! Recorded and produced at Rhythm Ace studio in Taranaki, mastered for digital and vinyl through Munki Records.

I looked at going through Holiday Records but know a couple of people who had some difficulty working with them, so I had them pressed through Mobineko which is a Taiwan based company. They were fantastic to deal with and pretty good value, but you have to be prepared for some decent wait times when shipping from overseas, especially if you want test-press before committing to it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Like that.
Respect!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

The last 7" I put out was black too.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I thought 10 inches on black was more your thing JB. You can fit a lot in with those 3 extras inches.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Jake wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 amI looked at going through Holiday Records but know a couple of people who had some difficulty working with them, so I had them pressed through Mobineko which is a Taiwan based company. They were fantastic to deal with and pretty good value, but you have to be prepared for some decent wait times when shipping from overseas, especially if you want test-press before committing to it.
Mobineko would still turn out cheaper than Holiday even after paying international postage and import duty etc anyway.

Holiday also outsources the lacquer cutting since they can only do pressing but not the steps before it.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

godgrinder wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:05 pm
Jake wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:41 amI looked at going through Holiday Records but know a couple of people who had some difficulty working with them, so I had them pressed through Mobineko which is a Taiwan based company. They were fantastic to deal with and pretty good value, but you have to be prepared for some decent wait times when shipping from overseas, especially if you want test-press before committing to it.
Mobineko would still turn out cheaper than Holiday even after paying international postage and import duty etc anyway.

Holiday also outsources the lacquer cutting since they can only do pressing but not the steps before it.
Good to know!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

anyone who doesnt get a test press beforehand is asking for a paddlin'

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Yep, they essentially have to remaster the song(s) for the format. Typically it'll be less compressed and involving a sub bass cut, mono'ing the low end and filtering off some extreme highs if needed. You might wanna hear it first before full production.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

do you mind me asking how much 100 X 7inches cost?
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

mrmofo wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:29 am do you mind me asking how much 100 X 7inches cost?
Price for 150 was about $2100 NZD landed, with marbled vinyl, test presses, centre stickers, paper inner sleeves and printed outers. You can do it cheaper if you go for plain black vinyl, or solid colour vinyl.