jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by jeremyb »

You guys are fucking nuts.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Agreed lol, actual what
Loving it so far

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Gotta side with JB on this one.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

robthemac wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:05 am Gotta side with JB on this one.
Me too :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Each to their own I guess. But yeah I couldn't fathom selling an R9 to aquire a watch. My phone tells time, but does not have great tone.
Last edited by mr_sooty on Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

What’s the difference between having an expensive guitar versus an expensive watch?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm What’s the difference between having an expensive guitar versus an expensive watch?
An expensive watch doesn't make me tell the time better. But an expensive guitar......

(I'd love both)

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

A watch just tells the time, playing a guitar (or going fishing) is a good use of time.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:29 pm What’s the difference between having an expensive guitar versus an expensive watch?
The only metric worth considering is which one makes your life better.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

If that's what you're in to then that is all good. I have bookshelves full of 80's Transformer toys and classic skateboards on the wall that will never be ridden and records I listened to once and probably never will again because I like having all that stuff and that's enough reason for me.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:58 am You guys are fucking nuts.
Actually, on the whole Rolex are great investment pieces. The value of them often goes up quickly (sounds odd but you'll often pay above RRP for a used one) and it should increase steadily over time

Spending $10k or more on a watch actually makes more sense than spending $10k on a guitar

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Actually, on the whole Rolex are great investment pieces. The value of them often goes up quickly (sounds odd but you'll often pay above RRP for a used one) and it should increase steadily over time

Spending $10k or more on a watch actually makes more sense than spending $10k on a guitar
we're the minority but I'm with MF. My sub that I bought for the price of a new Gibson LP Standard 5 years ago has now quadrupled in its value. A Historic Reissue? would take much longer for that effect to happen, and you might need to find a 63 Fender or the likes for it to increase value that much... :wink: btw Rolex is a currency :rofl:

edit: but of course it makes sense if you are not into watches or horology,

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

KNNZ wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:46 pm

we're the minority but I'm with MF. My sub that I bought for the price of a new Gibson LP Standard 5 years ago has now quadrupled in its value. A Historic Reissue? would take much longer for that effect to happen, and you might need to find a 63 Fender or the likes for it to increase value that much... :wink: btw Rolex is a currency :rofl:

edit: but of course it makes sense if you are not into watches or horology,
how come their new watches are increasing in value so quickly? are they not supplying enough watches to satisfy the market? are they deliberately short selling? (something shoe manufactures do.)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Guitars are way cooler than watches.

Watches are like a diamond necklace or flashy ring - symbols to message status and resources.

Guitars are tools to produce art.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

AiRdAd wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:27 pm how come their new watches are increasing in value so quickly? are they not supplying enough watches to satisfy the market? are they deliberately short selling? (something shoe manufactures do.)
If you walk into an AD and pick out a Rolex chances are you won't be able to get it there and then, you'll go onto a waitlist. This is the reason they sell above RRP second hand, it's because a good number of people will pay above RRP simply to avoid the waitlist. Unfortunately some people buy simply to flick it on straightaway for an easy few grand. Rolex are well aware of this and it's been like this for years so obviously not something that concerns them

There are certain models that every now and then get discontinued so the price of those on the used market goes through the roof such, the 116610LV "Hulk" is a perfect example...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 2852094782

From memory they were around $13k brand new in 2015. Five years on and you can sell it for $30k? That's good business to me if you have the money to afford it in the first place :wtf: