Attenuation

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Attenuation

Post by Slowy »

Capt. Black wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:16 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:32 am

So its not attenuating the amp, just the input signal, might as well use your amp volume then ???
What Slowy is saying is that he can reduce the input volume but use the EQ to boost frequencies that fill out the sound better. Like the loudness button on your stereo does at low volume.
For reasons I am too ignorant to understand, keeping my amp working and reducing the input signal has a very different sound to just turning down the amp.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Wairarapajack
Squier
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Attenuation

Post by Wairarapajack »

Slowy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:37 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:16 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:32 am

So its not attenuating the amp, just the input signal, might as well use your amp volume then ???
What Slowy is saying is that he can reduce the input volume but use the EQ to boost frequencies that fill out the sound better. Like the loudness button on your stereo does at low volume.
For reasons I am too ignorant to understand, keeping my amp working and reducing the input signal has a very different sound to just turning down the amp.
The way I understand it, the higher the input volume to the amp (from the guitar volume, boosts, EQ etc), the more the pre-amp is "pushed" and the more gain is produced.

So turning down your guitar's volume knob leads to a cleaner sound. It's quite fun to set a low wattage tube amp to full volume and go from clean to heavily overdriven with your guitar alone.