ABCABS - Any Info?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

ABCABS - Any Info?

Post by Jonny »

Hey All,

Just bought an ABCABS 2 x 12. Never heard of them before, but it seems like a tidy unit with all pine construction. Are they locally made? Couldn't find any info online.
Yes, M'Lady.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: ABCABS - Any Info?

Post by Bg »

Never heard, would love to hear :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Bg wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:48 pm Never heard, would love to hear :)
Will post pics tomorrow. Very curious where it came from...
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

The only thing that comes up on Goggle is a link to a NZguitars post by AmpShop back in 2008 saying they have a pine 2 x 12 with ply back and baffle - sounds exactly like what I've just picked up:

Nice finger joints and oxblood grille. Sounds pretty faarkin good, too!
Last edited by Jonny on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, M'Lady.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Looks nice!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

robthemac wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:14 pmLooks nice!
Cheers!

Edited the last photo to show the grille colour. Also, couldn't help but think that the logo looks an awful lot like the famed Capo Guitars logo:

It would be very cool if it was coing from the same stable as those highly regarded guitars! /s

:winky:
Yes, M'Lady.

Hollow
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Hollow »

Jonny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 pm Hey All,

Just bought an ABCABS 2 x 12. Never heard of them before, but it seems like a tidy unit with all pine construction. Are they locally made? Couldn't find any info online.
Ryan posted that he was selling a ABCABS 2x12 from the AmpShop back in 2008. Guess this could be the same one?

"I've a got a ABCABS 2x12 here with a solid pine shell and a ply baffle and back, and it's the lightest 2x12 I've got."

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you'd posted the exact same thing on one of the photos!
Last edited by Hollow on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Had a look on archive.org on the ampshop and customaudioboutique (previous name of amp shop) sites to see if there was any reference there, but nope!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Ryan always used to talk to me about a guy he had that he worked with (locally in AKL) to build cabinets / headshells for the amps he designed. I would hazard a guess that this cab is made by that guy.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Looks nice but it irks me when the corner screws don't match the corners. That Barefaced cab I bought last year had some flat profile DIY store screws holding on the chrome corners. Stuck out like dogs' balls. Should be a nice countersunk screw with a domed top and cross head. Just sayin'.... Detail an' all that.

Hollow
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Hollow »

handsoffmatt wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:23 pm Ryan always used to talk to me about a guy he had that he worked with (locally in AKL) to build cabinets / headshells for the amps he designed. I would hazard a guess that this cab is made by that guy.
Yeah, the handle looks exactly like the one's on the Ryan built amps and cabs I've seen:
viewtopic.php?t=31284
viewtopic.php?t=31232

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Molly wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm Looks nice but it irks me when the corner screws don't match the corners. That Barefaced cab I bought last year had some flat profile DIY store screws holding on the chrome corners. Stuck out like dogs' balls. Should be a nice countersunk screw with a domed top and cross head. Just sayin'.... Detail an' all that.
Yeah, I know what you mean, and it would be a simple fix, but I'm not so worried about it right now. It was pretty cheap and I'm really just happy exploring the tones with a couple of amps.

Just plugged the AC15 Heritage into it today and the cab has given it a new set of slightly bigger, fuller, rounder balls. Plugged in the Tele, played a couple of Tom Petty approximations, and grinned my arse off.
Yes, M'Lady.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Hollow wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 pm
handsoffmatt wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:23 pm Ryan always used to talk to me about a guy he had that he worked with (locally in AKL) to build cabinets / headshells for the amps he designed. I would hazard a guess that this cab is made by that guy.
Yeah, the handle looks exactly like the one's on the Ryan built amps and cabs I've seen:
viewtopic.php?t=31284
viewtopic.php?t=31232
Those handles are pretty common though. I'm sure it is the same guy though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.