Dialling In An Amps Sweet Spot

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Dialling In An Amps Sweet Spot

Post by jeremyb »

Does anyone use this method?

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Dialling In An Amps Sweet Spot

Post by Capt. Black »

No, but actually interesting.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Haven’t done it that way before but that looks like a pretty good method. Would be interested to know if there’s any actual science behind it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I've seen it done with a Helix.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

Never seen that before. That's quite an interesting method!

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

The trouble with this method is that the pots are interactive. Pots are variable resistors and each one in turn changes the resistance in the signal chain, which runs from treble to bass to mid to ground. Turning a dial to adjust a pot affects the pots before it in the tone stack. Turning the treble dial only affects treble tones because it is first in the chain, but turning the bass pot changes the resistance of both bass and treble, while turning the mid pot changes the resistance of all three.

So, this method would only work in reverse: mid first, then bass, then treble.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Yeah, pretty much that's what I do; especially for home use. With the band, I'm looking to 'step away' from everyone else so that results in some interesting settings. Especially since I never know what gear the other guitarist will turn up with on the day. Proper GAS whore, he is. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Just gave this a go on the brown channel of the Katana with the PRS, ended up with quite different to what I would normally run in terms of EQ and I reckon it sounds really good!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:41 pm Just gave this a go on the brown channel of the Katana with the PRS, ended up with quite different to what I would normally run in terms of EQ and I reckon it sounds really good!!
Did you brown out?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:20 am Yeah, pretty much that's what I do; especially for home use. With the band, I'm looking to 'step away' from everyone else so that results in some interesting settings. Especially since I never know what gear the other guitarist will turn up with on the day. Proper GAS whore, he is. :lol:
In a band situation, do exactly this. Then max out treble/presense/volume. Fanny's your aunt... Everyone will love your tone! While they mop up the blood from their bleeding eardrums!