Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Reintroduction To Guitar - A Timeline

Post by Jonny »

Ok, I'm going to try and wrap this up today before I delve headlong into the tales of likely guitar destruction via headstock.

So, SG went to an appreciative home, I ended up with a good chunk of change in my pocket, and my current employer had me scheduled to go to the US for a couple of trips over the next few months. I'd already had an idea of what I was after, so continued the research, etc. Guitar prices in the US really are wonderful. Found this in a guitar shop just outside of Denver:

2014 Johnny Marr Jaguar.

The guitar already had a couple of dings, but I've certainly added to them, as anyone will tell you they are extremely thin-skinned. I'd seen Johnny play in Melbourne in 2014 I just thought it was so cool that he played two or three Jags for the whole gig, and the range of tone he was creating was amazing. Such a versatile guitar (not that I'm a versatile player), and it's probably my main go-to instrument. The vibrato works really well and has no tuning issues, and the neck is vintage radius with enough heft to keep me happy. It's exceeded my expectations.

Eagle-eyed viewers will notice that I recently lost a saddle screw (do you think I can find one without having to buy a new bridge?), and also see the heavy checking on the back of the headstock. I'd spent most of my time in Ohio, where it was balltearingly cold, and all I can imagine is it may have been caused by thermal shock? Lucky I don't need case queens...
Last edited by Jonny on Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, M'Lady.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

To be fair I think the outcome was pretty good. I'd be too scared to attempt something similar.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Come the second US trip, I still had plenty of SG cash, and now I had the chance to get a guitar I'd been coveting ever since listening to Radio Birdman as a teenager. This was also influenced by my love of bands like The Who, The Jam, and You Am I (although I could never afford something like the 360F replica he plays). Found this in a nondescript studio in Nashville and just fell in love.

2014 Rickenbacker 330.

I've always been into full hollow body guitars (had a long term loan of a Gretsch 6122 that I just adored. Maybe in the future...?), and this thing is no exception. Not the most versatile guitar, but I absolutely love what it does, plus being so lightweight you can just chuck it about. I really like the chunky neck, and don't quite understand what it is about Ricks that some players find so off-putting. Horses for courses, I guess, but it really fits me well, and compliments the rest of my gear.

Love it.
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Ok, last guitar.

My son and I were in Japan so he could see his grandparents. He would be there for a month, and so we decided to pick up something cheap and cheerful from a secondhand shop so he had something to play while he was there. If you've ever been to Japan, you will be familiar with my favourite secondhand wares shop in all the world: Hard Off. Cue JB...

We tried a few different things, and I didn't want to spend a great deal, maybe $300 at most. There was quite a cool Hagstrom which was nice, but lacked some indefinable character, and then we both saw this, tried it out, and it simply murdered that Hagstrom. Bitey and angry, and while full and warm, kept a certain brightness on the neck pick up.

1989 Greco Les Paul.

I can't remember the actual model, but as you can see it has the bolt on neck joint. Fat '50's style neck, no nonsense, toneful workhorse, and really fun to play. I'm quite keen to find a Bigsby for it, which would bring it a bit closer to the kind of territory I like. Ideally it would also have p90s, but in this case I'll happily accept it for what it is. It sounds pretty damn good, so pick ups will likely stay as they are.

So, guitar-wise, that's me (until my next trip to Japan, where I finally may realise my Gretsch dreams). I still had SG money left over, which I splooshed on a VOX AC15 50th Anniversary which I love to bits.

Now I just need to learn to play :winky:
Yes, M'Lady.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Hello!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:21 pmHello!!
Ahahahahaha!

Curiously, Hard Off creates the exact opposite reaction in me...

:winky:
Yes, M'Lady.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

so cool, thanks for sharing the pics. loved the stories too
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Jonny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 pm If you've ever been to Japan, you will be familiar with my favourite secondhand wares shop in all the world: Hard Off. Cue JB...
Fast learner, this Lad. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:35 pm
Jonny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 pm If you've ever been to Japan, you will be familiar with my favourite secondhand wares shop in all the world: Hard Off. Cue JB...
Too Fast!! Have you ever owned an HD500 Jonny???
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:39 pm
I don't think its gas that he has figured out, just you. And how to block attachments. (oh-err, missus)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:45 pm

I don't think its gas that he has figured out, just you. And how to block attachments. (oh-err, missus)
I'm more concerned that in my fragile mental state he might be one of my troll accounts...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:48 pm

I'm more concerned that in my fragile mental state he might be one of my troll accounts...
That should be the least of your worries. Remember when you questioned my manhood? Thats coming home to roost.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:00 pm

That should be the least of your worries. Remember when you questioned my manhood? Thats coming home to roost.
I don't remember that, and I'd never talk with my mouth full!!!

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

Great thread, love your taste. A JM Jag is on my wishlist. One day...

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Ummmm... first time poster, long time stalk.... I mean long time lurker. Yeah, lurker. That's right...
Yes, M'Lady.