Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Reintroduction To Guitar - A Timeline

Post by Capt. Black »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:45 pm
Jonny wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am :) Great story, Jonny!

1974 Super Bass.
Had one (and for a short time two) myself for the last 15 or so years.
Keeper amp. Family heirloom. :lol:

The one amp that’s killed all desire for anything else.
I know what you mean. I think I underappreciated it at the time, and maybe didn't really understand how to get the most out of it, but it's certainly an amp I wish I kept. While I did use it for guitar a lot, it was fantastic as a bass amp - big, warm, and fuzzy, but I guess that was during a time when clarity was king, and if you didn't have 400W then it wasn't proper. I should've just followed my ears...
You get the best out of a Superbass by setting it up in a room with 20 other Forum amps and blasting all of them into oblivion at once.
This, I know to be true. :rofl:
Actually, the best was setting two of them up as twin full stacks linked together. People actually shat themselves and ran before I'd even plugged in. :lol:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:52 pm
Jonny wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 pm

I know what you mean. I think I underappreciated it at the time, and maybe didn't really understand how to get the most out of it, but it's certainly an amp I wish I kept. While I did use it for guitar a lot, it was fantastic as a bass amp - big, warm, and fuzzy, but I guess that was during a time when clarity was king, and if you didn't have 400W then it wasn't proper. I should've just followed my ears...
You get the best out of a Superbass by setting it up in a room with 20 other Forum amps and blasting all of them into oblivion at once.
Actually, the best was setting two of them up as twin full stacks linked together. People actually shat themselves and ran before I'd even plugged in. :lol:
I was standing at the front of the stage in Matakana watching Jimmy Barnes's gear being set up. There were a couple of Marshall half stacks front and center. I'd gone up there with Marcus who had just completed the opening set with Gin Wigmore. Suddenly he pushes through the crowd, grabs my arm and says, "Get the fuck out of here! Those are two Superlead 100's and they're set on 10."

From the back of the audience they were very, very loud. :crazy:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Jonny »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:52 pm
I was standing at the front of the stage in Matakana watching Jimmy Barnes's gear being set up. There were a couple of Marshall half stacks front and center. I'd gone up there with Marcus who had just completed the opening set with Gin Wigmore. Suddenly he pushes through the crowd, grabs my arm and says, "Get the fuck out of here! Those are two Superlead 100's and they're set on 10."

From the back of the audience they were very, very loud. :crazy:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

When I first got the Super Bass I figured I wouldn't want an overdrive pedal - it will sound best if I just turn it up. Less than 10 minutes into rehearsal the drummer threatened to quit if I tried that shit again.
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Due to finances and the joys (?) of married life, plus the fact that I was pretty satisfied with what I had, I wasn't buying so much gear. Move forward a few years and back in Australia, I thought it would be fun to have a bass again:

Epiphone Allen Woody.

Again, the watch-word is "cheap". It's a fun bass, chambered mahogany body, 3/4 scale, and pretty far away from a standard Precision tone. It's fat, can be grindy and growly, and I feel no guilt whatsoever to use a pick with it. I should get it properly set up, as I've never quite got the E to play as cleanly as I'd like.

Plus...

It's a Custom Shop!!!
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

This one is a little different, as it's a guitar that I bought for my son.

My employer at the time was sending me to work in northern California for five weeks, and while money was tight, I figured I could find something cheap and cheerful for him over there. He had been playing my guitars pretty much daily, so I figured it was time he had his own. I also wanted something to noodle about on back in the hotel. Quick search on the Sacramento Craigslist and I came upon this:

Epiphone Special.

Sure, it's not amazing by any stretch, but for what it is and what I paid for it ($70 - I paid double that to get a decent case to bring it home in) you can't fault it. It plays really well, has a bolt on neck with decent heft, mahogany body, and sounds pretty damn good - from nice and mellow and dark, to bright and snarly. My plan has been to get some decent nickel tuners, bone nut, nickel bridge, and some nice lower output P90s, but I haven't got around to it yet. It's a little rock and roll machine!

I would also like to cut back the headstock to give it the traditional open book design, which I have seen people do, but it's well beyond my woodworking skill set and far beyond my patience. Would be nice, though.

Also...

It's a Custom Shop!!!
Yes, M'Lady.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:52 pm Actually, the best was setting two of them up as twin full stacks linked together. People actually shat themselves and ran before I'd even plugged in. :lol:
It's ok, my playing has that effect on people too!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jonny wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 pm I would also like to cut back the headstock to give it the traditional open book design, which I have seen people do, but it's well beyond my woodworking skill set and far beyond my patience. Would be nice, though.
Oh boy have we got a thread on here for you :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

The next twist in the tale was about a year after moving to NZ, I decided to sell the SG. While I really enjoyed the guitar, and having had it for about 19 years it had given me many great memories, I felt it just wasn't quite what I was after. I think it partly lacked the brightness and harmonic complexity of the Gold Top that I'd bought it to somewhat replicate. Also, I couldn't afford to buy a couple of bits of kit that I'd been hoping for without selling something first.

Yeah, it would have been nice to keep, but to be quite honest I haven't missed it yet.
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Jonny wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:44 pm I would also like to cut back the headstock to give it the traditional open book design, which I have seen people do, but it's well beyond my woodworking skill set and far beyond my patience. Would be nice, though.
Sounds ominous! :lol:
Yes, M'Lady.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jonny wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:18 pm
You have no idea! :rofl: Jb will find it; he’s good at that stuff.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

legendary thread....you need this
image_58.jpg
image_58.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:45 am

I am here to serve!!

https://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33468

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

willow13 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:59 am

legendary thread....you need thisimage_58.jpg
.....WTAF???
Yes, M'Lady.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Jonny wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:23 am
willow13 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:59 am

legendary thread....you need thisimage_58.jpg
.....WTAF???
Warned you... :lol:

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:38 am
Slowy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:45 am

I am here to serve!!

https://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33468
Nice. Some bedtime reading for the next 6 months. I've only read the first two or three posts and I'm already extremely nervous for the long term health of that guitar. :rofl:
Yes, M'Lady.