Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 89 times

Reintroduction To Guitar - A Timeline

Post by Jonny »

Hope the title doesn't sound too pretentious (it does), but I thought this would be an interesting way to introduce myself, share some of the fun pieces of kit that have come my way, and also being a self indulgent walk down memory lane. A little background first.

I came late to the guitar, about 15, and when I quit school I worked in a mainly secondhand music shop for a while and came across some fantastic gear. The shop owner had me on a tiny wage, but we had an agreement that the majority of my hours would be paid for in gear. Apart from the awful, wasteful choices that a teenager might make when you can just walk home with something different, I did pick through bins and put together a few dodgy but fun Partscasters, however the highlights of the Work For Gear deal were a 1974 Marshall JMP 100W Super Bass head and a beaten, player worthy, moderately modded 1952 Les Paul Gold Top, plus a couple of other bits and bobs. Working in the shop also gave me some good leads on gear, including a 1976 Twin Reverb and a 1963 (I think) Fender Concert.

Moving forward a few years I ended up changing instruments to double bass - stopped playing guitar completely, and made a career out of four strings. I sold off my gear to fund a decent double bass.

So now, sadly, it's all gone. Except for this:

From what I can gather it's a late 60's Transition model. I was never so excited by the standard Jim Dunlop Wah, but when this VOX item came in the shop I was blown away by the bright, squawky tone and the $40 price tag. I do have some regrets of the gear that I sold, but so happy I've still got this.

I think the green is a reflection from the beer bottles...
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Re: Reintroduction To Guitar - A Timeline

Post by Jonny »

Fast forward a good few years, I ended up living in Seoul. Late one night coming back from a bar I found a beaten up junky acoustic next to a rubbish bin and took it home. The neck was coming away from the body, but I could tune it to about C and mess about with some swampy sounds. After so long away it just made me want to play guitar again.

I initially bought a Danelectro 59 from a shop in the Nagwon market, but after a little more playing and listening I found myself wanting a P90 loaded SG. A long and massively haggling story short, I brought this home:

1965 SG Special. Replacement tuners and bridge, plus a 5 Yen coin as a washer on the vibrato arm, but basically original. I think I spent about 3 1/2 hours in the shop playing it, cuddling it, and pushing all the cash I had to the guy, which was significantly less than what he wanted for it. I'd left all my cash on his counter while I kept playing it, and I think I just pestered him enough that he just wanted me out of his shop.
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

I'd started playing with a couple of bands and really wanted to add a Stones / You Am I influenced slightly overdriven twang and so began looking for a Telecaster. This was about 2002 and having been out of the guitar gear scene for quite a while I had no idea about Relics etc. I saw this beaten up Tele hidden away in a shop in Nagwon that looked the real deal. Picking it up and playing unplugged it just resonated and had such a bright bark to it. I'd recently been across to Japan and played a lot of really good Telecasters there, but this was something different. After a couple of days thinking it over and doing some research, I went back in, traded a '81 Rickenbacker 4001, slapped down a little more cash, and went home with a 2000 Nocaster.

I Just can't get over this guitar. It's not the one I play the most, but every time I pick it up I wonder why I don't play it more. It's a 100% nailed on keeper. The hilarious thing is that when I bought it, I had no real idea about the Fender Custom Shop, certainly didn't know what a Relic was, but I just absolutely fell in love with the way it played and sounded. Bought it with the thermometer case and no papers (didn't know at the time guitars needed papers) but I do not give a single fuck, as it is not going anywhere.

Oh, and the pick up selector tip fell off.
Last edited by Jonny on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, M'Lady.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

That Tele looks great, the flathead screws are always cool.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Both guitars look fantastic!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

As moderator of this forum it’s my job to look after folks. It breaks my heart to see a new member burdened with tatty old guitars.
I can help. I have some nice, new respectable examples I’m prepared to replace those raggedy old things with. No need to thank me; it’s what I do. :D

And welcome!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Thats an impressive entrance! (said the vicar to the nun bending over)

That Tele is just sex, so aroused right now!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

oh man that nocaster...

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

:) Great story, Jonny!

1974 Super Bass.
Had one (and for a short time two) myself for the last 15 or so years.
Keeper amp. Family heirloom. :lol:

The one amp that’s killed all desire for anything else.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Slowy wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:47 am As moderator of this forum it’s my job to look after folks. It breaks my heart to see a new member burdened with tatty old guitars.
I can help. I have some nice, new respectable examples I’m prepared to replace those raggedy old things with. No need to thank me; it’s what I do. :D

And welcome!
It's a kind offer, and not the first time someone has reached out to help me get rid of this old tat.

I was once verbally abused on a gig by a young Scottish lass for showing such disrespect by playing such a piece of shite in public. Nocasters seem to bring out the emotions in people...
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:05 am Thats an impressive entrance! (said the vicar to the nun bending over)

That Tele is just sex, so aroused right now!
To be fair, it is quite difficult to play it while wearing close fitting trousers...

:winky:
Yes, M'Lady.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Lyle wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:47 pm That Tele looks great, the flathead screws are always cool.
Unless you're renovating an old house, at which point they become an instrument of the Devil.

Love that Nocaster.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Move forward a couple of years, and I was now living in Japan. I was keen on getting a decent, player type acoustic, and doing some street performance in Tokyo.

I've always been a big Tim Rogers fan, and at the time was listening to a lot of Gillian Welch, so while I was keen to check out the Gibsons, etc, I did keep the idea of a Guild in the back of my mind. I went down to the music shops in Ochanomizu (and if you have never been and are planning a trip to Japan, you must put this on your "to-do" list - shop after shop, with floor upon floor of whatever guitar gear you can imagine, from the berserk Visual Kei and metal designs, through to pristine and very rare vintage items), and just ploughed through guitar after guitar, just loving the variety and quality on offer. Found some awesome Gibsons and Martins, but I was definitely limited by budget. Walking down a staircase to go home and feeling a little dejected that the guitars I really cliqued with were beyond me, I saw this tucked in a little glass case next to the stairs:

1994 Guild DV-52

It was made in the old Westerly factory prior to the Fender takeover (not to be confused with the more recent Chinese made Westerly Guilds) and as soon as I picked it up, I knew this was the one. It just sings, bright and deep, and is pretty loud as well. Just perfect for playing in the street, although a bit loud for Tokyo apartment life. Love this guitar to bits, although it's in need of a little TLC, as a brace has come loose behind the bridge and the action is now certainly higher than where I'd prefer it. Still a cracking instrument.

I still can't believe how little I had to pay for this guitar, especially as it was no compromise in terms of tone and playability when compared to the significantly more expensive guitars that I had been trying out before finding this.
Yes, M'Lady.

Jonny
Parker (Permanently)

Post by Jonny »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am :) Great story, Jonny!

1974 Super Bass.

I know what you mean. I think I underappreciated it at the time, and maybe didn't really understand how to get the most out of it, but it's certainly an amp I wish I kept. While I did use it for guitar a lot, it was fantastic as a bass amp - big, warm, and fuzzy, but I guess that was during a time when clarity was king, and if you didn't have 400W then it wasn't proper. I should've just followed my ears...
Yes, M'Lady.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Jonny wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:00 am :) Great story, Jonny!

1974 Super Bass.

I know what you mean. I think I underappreciated it at the time, and maybe didn't really understand how to get the most out of it, but it's certainly an amp I wish I kept. While I did use it for guitar a lot, it was fantastic as a bass amp - big, warm, and fuzzy, but I guess that was during a time when clarity was king, and if you didn't have 400W then it wasn't proper. I should've just followed my ears...
You get the best out of a Superbass by setting it up in a room with 20 other Forum amps and blasting all of them into oblivion at once.
This, I know to be true. :rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.