NGD - Gibson LEs Paul Classic

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: NGD - Gibson LEs Paul Classic

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:42 pm Guys, this is making me most uncomfortable. If one of us had found out that Raid0 or Goldplated had their mates bidding up their auctions, we would be up in arms and complaining to TM.

How is this different? (a genuine question)
Valid question. I have done this but I have a distinction. I'll bid in the early stages of an auction where the price is unrealistically low. So I'll help a mate to kickstart some activity. What I'll never do is push the top bidder at the pointy end of the auction to improve his return.

Interested to hear opinions on the morality of that and I'll go cut some wire from the fence in case chastisement is required.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I don't see much problem in that, its just the whole bidding thing by a mate that doesn't actually want to buy it - what if thats the winning bid. How would you feel to be outbid by a few dollars and then find this out?

Its an area that shouldn't really be publicised and then we wouldn't have to be disapproving.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:07 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:48 pm
olegmcnoleg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:42 pm Guys, this is making me most uncomfortable. If one of us had found out that Raid0 or Goldplated had their mates bidding up their auctions, we would be up in arms and complaining to TM.

How is this different? (a genuine question)
Well raid0 and goldplated don't have any mates, so this is fine :lol:
if you complain about capo guitars or goldplated again, you're banned for being hypocritical...
Why would I complain about great entertainment?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Didn't there used to be a member on here who would bid up items he thought were selling too cheap? I think he won a few auctions and never intended to complete the trade, he just didnt think they should sell cheaply.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:41 pm I don't see much problem in that, its just the whole bidding thing by a mate that doesn't actually want to buy it - what if thats the winning bid. How would you feel to be outbid by a few dollars and then find this out?

Its an area that shouldn't really be publicised and then we wouldn't have to be disapproving.
Surely you're not advocating censorship? :shock:
I'd always honour my bid but I'd feel pretty sick picking up a mate's Les Paul for $1600
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Lyle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm Didn't there used to be a member on here who would bid up items he thought were selling too cheap? I think he won a few auctions and never intended to complete the trade, he just didnt think they should sell cheaply.
Ah Mr Byrdo. Suspect he's still at it.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:14 pm
Bg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:41 pm I don't see much problem in that, its just the whole bidding thing by a mate that doesn't actually want to buy it - what if thats the winning bid. How would you feel to be outbid by a few dollars and then find this out?

I'd always honour my bid but I'd feel pretty sick picking up a mate's Les Paul for $1600
Its not censorship If I find it distasteful and don't want to know its being done by people I would think better of. It would be censorship if I deleted this thread. Your moderation powers have just been banned.

We've all bid mates dollar reserves up by a few bucks to get them kick started, but up to the point where its basically the 'reserve' price that the seller wants? Nah, it shouldn't really be accepted as a norm.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:16 pm
Lyle wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm Didn't there used to be a member on here who would bid up items he thought were selling too cheap? I think he won a few auctions and never intended to complete the trade, he just didnt think they should sell cheaply.
Ah Mr Byrdo. Suspect he's still at it.
Yes, he did it on mine a few months ago, luckily another, aggressive bidder, went much higher... Should have blacklisted him but in this case it worked out okay.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Bg wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:51 pm
Slowy wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:14 pm

Its not censorship If I find it distasteful and don't want to know its being done by people I would think better of. It would be censorship if I deleted this thread. Your moderation powers have just been banned.

We've all bid mates dollar reserves up by a few bucks to get them kick started, but up to the point where its basically the 'reserve' price that the seller wants? Nah, it shouldn't really be accepted as a norm.
And good for Oleg for calling it out, I just skimmed the thread till that point.

Come on chaps, if you're going to do it, at least be decent and hide the fact.

We all do the odd workaround trademe's gouging fee, but this is a bit different.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and thats probably enough on the subject :)

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

There’s a few posts on here that don’t sit right with me. Add to that over the last month there’s been a couple of forum members that have made me feel pretty low

So might be a good time to call it a day and I’ll just ride off into the distance on a silvery unicorn. Laters

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:11 pm There’s a few posts on here that don’t sit right with me. Add to that over the last month there’s been a couple of forum members that have made me feel pretty low

So might be a good time to call it a day and I’ll just ride off into the distance on a silvery unicorn. Laters
Dude! We've all gone thru stages like this, take some time out for sure, but come back eh! The place is better for having you and everyone else here :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.