JohnG
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Re: John Mayer Megathread

Post by JohnG »

I went down the John Mayer tone chasing path..was an expensive one...Got the Fender John Mayer Sig, Martin OMJM, Two Rock Studio Pro, Marshall Bluesbreaker mark 1 pedal, Ibanez TS-10, Keeley Modded Blues Driver and Boost, Way Huge Delay......There, I feel better for that confession...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Did you find contentment?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:22 pm Did you find contentment?
probably got chicks chasing him :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JohnG
Ashton
Ashton

Post by JohnG »

The only gear out of all of that I use live these days is the OMJM, so no...but use a couple of John Mayer profiles live on my Kemper :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

JohnG wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm I went down the John Mayer tone chasing path..was an expensive one...Got the Fender John Mayer Sig, Martin OMJM, Two Rock Studio Pro, Marshall Bluesbreaker mark 1 pedal, Ibanez TS-10, Keeley Modded Blues Driver and Boost, Way Huge Delay......There, I feel better for that confession...
Have 2 friends with Martin OMJM's. One is very nice, the other is superb. Both of them chew up and spit out every Clapton 000-28 I've ever met.
Yes, I know they're different. I'm just surprised how different.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I almost never met a Martin I liked aside from the OMJM. Never gelled with his signature Strat though (but only played a couple of them briefly).
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I think the problem with John Mayer's tone is that it isn't expensive enough. PRS have done their best with their Mayer amp but it's only about $6k so, by definition, it's crap. Then there's the Silver Sky which at barely $5k new is borderline budget and so wholly incapable of those signature, Stratty Mayer tones. I think we all just have to accept that his particular blend of 'just about any Strat and a any Fendery-voiced amp' is simply not accessible to the average guy.

Sorry. I've not taken my tablets today. :-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:32 pm I think the problem with John Mayer's tone is that it isn't expensive enough. PRS have done their best with their Mayer amp but it's only about $6k so, by definition, it's crap. Then there's the Silver Sky which at barely $5k new is borderline budget and so wholly incapable of those signature, Stratty Mayer tones. I think we all just have to accept that his particular blend of 'just about any Strat and a any Fendery-voiced amp' is simply not accessible to the average guy.

Sorry. I've not taken my tablets today. :-)
:lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If it makes you feel better you can buy one here for $12k!! https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/prs-jmo ... ature.html
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

That one will have germs on it... You could talk 'em down a few k surely

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Cdog wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:08 am That one will have germs on it... You could talk 'em down a few k surely
You might as well buy the secondhand one they have for $8k and a box of anti-bacterial wipes :lol:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:03 am

If it makes you feel better you can buy one here for $12k!! https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/prs-jmo ... ature.html
I wonder what a $12k amp sounds like.

Disappointment I expect.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:04 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:03 am

I wonder what a $12k amp sounds like.

Disappointment I expect.
Given that most of the tones we reference were recorded on $500 10 watt combos, humiliation even..
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Cdog wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:08 am That one will have germs on it... You could talk 'em down a few k surely
Only if it arrived here in a refrigerated container. :moresarc:

JohnG
Ashton
Ashton

Post by JohnG »

Slowy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:26 pm
JohnG wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm I went down the John Mayer tone chasing path..was an expensive one...Got the Fender John Mayer Sig, Martin OMJM, Two Rock Studio Pro, Marshall Bluesbreaker mark 1 pedal, Ibanez TS-10, Keeley Modded Blues Driver and Boost, Way Huge Delay......There, I feel better for that confession...
Have 2 friends with Martin OMJM's. One is very nice, the other is superb. Both of them chew up and spit out every Clapton 000-28 I've ever met.
Yes, I know they're different. I'm just surprised how different.
It's funny you say that, as last time I went to the States I brought back a Clapton 000-28 which sounded amazing over there in the shop. When I got back to NZ and A/B'd it with my OMJM, the Clapton has sat in it's case ever since...I prefer the longer scale of the OMJM, which gives it more snap, and the neck is a perfect fit for me.