KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: How many overdrives....

Post by KNNZ »

used to have heaps but have since downsized to 5 well one is on TM so if that sells down to these 4; Jackson Audio Golden Boy, 1981 DRV, Bondi Effects Del Mar, JHS Ruby Red, i also really like the drives in my HX Stomp (not in the pic) so I use that a lot as well, still have more on my wishlist though haha!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

StratMatt wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm Tried Mr Bs Klon clone a few weeks ago, can't get better value for money than that.

Josh from JHS has some good videos on boosts and overdrive. As Grant says: often all you need is a boost or two into a hairy amp.
Is this the Joyo Tauren?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm
StratMatt wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm Tried Mr Bs Klon clone a few weeks ago, can't get better value for money than that.

Josh from JHS has some good videos on boosts and overdrive. As Grant says: often all you need is a boost or two into a hairy amp.
Is this the Joyo Tauren?
I have a Joyo tauren, apparently has a bit more gain than a standard klone... Sounds good to my ears though, Nice to leave on and use the guitars volume to clean up...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

When running an amp as the main factor I’d happily boost it with an SD-1 or MXR GT-OD.

Changed things up & now, running a pedal platform amp.
Now it’s open slather (except fuzz).
On a bit of a journey atm.
Trying out different ‘flavors” & stacking options.
What works/what doesn’t.

No harm in 3 or 4 :thumbup:

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

I used two TubeZones for a very long time.

Stacked, they were a lovely sound to behold...(behear?))
Wellington

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Boos GE-7 provides a nice clean boost, amazing how much of a difference this pedal makes !! After that I have the Emerson Pomeroy which is a dual overdrive, I use one side of that to give a little bit of a boost to my semi-clean amp (I actually run into the drive channel but it's set at fairly low gain)

Marshall Guv'nor is what I step on for the drive, prefer the sound of that over the other side of the Pomeroy

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mini Forklift wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 am Boos GE-7 provides a nice clean boost, amazing how much of a difference this pedal makes !! After that I have the Emerson Pomeroy which is a dual overdrive, I use one side of that to give a little bit of a boost to my semi-clean amp (I actually run into the drive channel but it's set at fairly low gain)

Marshall Guv'nor is what I step on for the drive, prefer the sound of that over the other side of the Pomeroy
Is the Guv'nor a bit like the bluesbreaker in terms of tone? I'm quite interested in the bluesbreaker at the moment, seem to be becoming extremely popular!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am Is the Guv'nor a bit like the bluesbreaker in terms of tone? I'm quite interested in the bluesbreaker at the moment, seem to be becoming extremely popular!
Its a jcm in a pedal from memory. I had one, just didnt get on with it compared to to my be-od clone.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Candeevr4 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am Its a jcm in a pedal from memory. I had one, just didnt get on with it compared to to my be-od clone.
Yeah that sounds about right. I think it's pretty particular about what amp it's going into, sounded awful into my AC30 or AC15 and I also tried it with my Dad's Mesa combo and Cornford head last year when I was back in the UK. Didn't sound good with either of those

So I'm thinking it's because my Laney head is supposedly Marshall-voiced, it seems to work well with it

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

in my case, i will always need a fuzz face on my board (covers varying shades of dirt with the guitar's volume knob), then a dedicated od (ts 808 or marshall bb style) then maybe a clean/ solo boost. so three.
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

The guvnor was Gary Moore in a box. It can get a little bit hair metal and it does share some topology with the Bluesbreaker, but it's more versatile and has more output, gain, and tonal options. And the first gen, like all pedals of the era, are dated in design terms. No power filtering, no pull down resistors, that kinda stuff that has become the new norm in the 21st century.

The bb is very quiet, doesn't have much kick and only a single tone knob. It's getting a resurgence these days as it's a great platform on which to build your own sound since Marshall didn't really do a lot with it. The king of tone is 2 BBs in series with some diode clipping options to increase the audible gain for example.

The drive master was another Marshall pedal in the same series that was great and has been forgotten about. The other in the series, the shredmaster, has also been cloned. The be:od has a lot in common with the shredmaster.

They're all cool though. The big black box ones have a special place in my heart.

One of the pedals we do at Monarch Pedals is king Dingaling, which is a modified guvnor with a single tone control. Basically a modern British sound in a box.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 am
Mini Forklift wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 am Boos GE-7 provides a nice clean boost, amazing how much of a difference this pedal makes !! After that I have the Emerson Pomeroy which is a dual overdrive, I use one side of that to give a little bit of a boost to my semi-clean amp (I actually run into the drive channel but it's set at fairly low gain)

Is the Guv'nor a bit like the bluesbreaker in terms of tone? I'm quite interested in the bluesbreaker at the moment, seem to be becoming extremely popular!
bluesbreakers have way less dirt and only introduces grit at the last quarter of the gain knob. they are awesome pedals though :)
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Mini Forklift wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:56 am
Candeevr4 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am Its a jcm in a pedal from memory. I had one, just didnt get on with it compared to to my be-od clone.
Yeah that sounds about right. I think it's pretty particular about what amp it's going into, sounded awful into my AC30 or AC15 and I also tried it with my Dad's Mesa combo and Cornford head last year when I was back in the UK. Didn't sound good with either of those

So I'm thinking it's because my Laney head is supposedly Marshall-voiced, it seems to work well with it
Prob why i didnt like it on my power amp or the Katana. The BE-OD is great on the clean channel of the Terror.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Only just found out recently that the king of tone is a modded bluesbreaker circuit with a clean boost in front of it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

At 4 overdrives on my board now and no room for more pedals, each has its own flavour which is really cool, lots of experimenting to do!