PG Spark users thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: PG Spark users thread

Post by HackSaw »

Hollowpoint wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:26 pm I've been thinking of ordering a Spark but just talked to a friend who said his was dark and boxy sounding and doesn't compare to his Vox Adio Air.

Has anyone else had that problem? Or I wonder if there could be some dud units out there.

Most people seem to love them but I also saw this issue raised on the PG forums https://forum.positivegrid.com/topic/39 ... -US&page=1
Initially a little bit, but all the presets seem to have insane amounts of reverb. Dial it back to subtle and it sparkles some more. The glassy preset is for sure glassy!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've seen another issue people were complaining about, bad grounding, getting little shocks through the strings!

I've noticed nothing like either issue so far but only really briefly used it...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

My app crashes when I try to share my preset to the cloud, need to check if my DNS proxy is blocking it first but might be an issue otherwise...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Interesting, it didn't crash when I wasn't connected to the amp...

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

I just had a play with one this afternoon. I thought his was really dark sounding too, it seemed almost impossible to dial out the bass/low mids.
I thought this review were pretty close to what I was hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUA9MDomWXY

Most of the other reviews seem to have been recorded via USB. Still really tempted to pick one up.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

It is a practice tool though, so does it really matter that much ? Its not like it has to cut through a band or anything. Perhaps its EQ'd like that so your guitar sounds reasonable jamming along to Spotify/Apple Music.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by HackSaw »

Just spent the day playing, through headphones as the wife was in a mood. I was having to turn the tone knob down playing bridge jazzmaster, it certainly doesn’t have impossible to dial out bass with headphones anyway.

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:08 pm It is a practice tool though, so does it really matter that much ? Its not like it has to cut through a band or anything. Perhaps its EQ'd like that so your guitar sounds reasonable jamming along to Spotify/Apple Music.
Nah you're right it doesn't. I ordered one this morning! :D

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Had an ad in an article I was reading saying Last Chance Discount: https://www.positivegrid.com/spark?utm_ ... gJIMfD_BwE
I'm not buying, but maybe if you are, this will help?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

HackSaw wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:17 pm Just spent the day playing, through headphones as the wife was in a mood.
Maybe that's why she was in a mood :lol:

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

hamo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:33 am Had an ad in an article I was reading saying Last Chance Discount: https://www.positivegrid.com/spark?utm_ ... gJIMfD_BwE
I'm not buying, but maybe if you are, this will help?
Sounds like the 1am infomercials, limited time only.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

But wait, that's not all! Order today and you'll get a free set of presets that nobody in the M&R department thought was any good :crazy:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:49 pmImage
Not the kind of thing I would use, but must admit I like the aesthetics of them. Looks great :thumbup:

Does it feel/look decent quality or is it all pretty plasticy?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mini Forklift wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:57 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:49 pmImage
Not the kind of thing I would use, but must admit I like the aesthetics of them. Looks great :thumbup:

Does it feel/look decent quality or is it all pretty plasticy?
Its got that premium look and feel about it, its way heavier than I expected too! Nice knobs too :mental:

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by HackSaw »

yeah the look and feel are pretty nice apart from the little music volume that seems to be much maligned. But given how much a decent bluetooth speaker to stream music through costs, it's pretty amazing what you get for your money here.