Work in progress...

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Work in progress...

Post by jeremyb »

There is something way more fulfilling about using your hands to create something, I do still get pleasure though out of using technology, i.e. modelling something in 3d and printing it out on my 3d printer, not quite as much buzz as building a fence or whatever else I've done before, but still get that sense of achievement...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: This is what's missing from my work. That sense of satisfaction and of feeling your work is admired or appreciated.
Work wasn't appreciated last night. Band got a noise control notice at 8.15 which is somewhat petulant if you ask me; we didn't sound that bad!
So we decided to close out with a couple of songs and I may have boosted everything to stupid levels. Felt sorry for our singer standing in front of my amps but whoever you were Killjoy, I'll see your petulance and raise you. :x
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

15" speakers in a cab not quite tall enough for them is a pain in the arse. I'm looking at you Fender!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

:(

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Cdog wrote::(
Nothing that can't be fixed, but I did have a messy hissy crying fit
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Cdog wrote::(
Nothing that can't be fixed, but I did have a messy hissy crying fit
I'm so glad I missed that. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

I’m enjoying my Sunday night tv fest with Brian Johnson and tonight it’s Mark Knopfler. It’s interesting to me hearing these two old farts talking about the same music I listened to in my youth, then I realised - they’re both around my age, so of course we share musical heritage. I know they’re old hat for you hip young dudes, but to me they are contemporary.

Damn this was supposed to be in Just Sayin, but can’t change from my iphone
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Rog wrote:I’m enjoying my Sunday night tv fest with Brian Johnson and tonight it’s Mark Knopfler. It’s interesting to me hearing these two old farts talking about the same music I listened to in my youth, then I realised - they’re both around my age, so of course we share musical heritage. I know they’re old hat for you hip young dudes, but to me they are contemporary.

Damn this was supposed to be in Just Sayin, but can’t change from my iphone
Really enjoyed that. They seemed like gentle, sensitive souls in their later years. Both reminded me of my dear old Dad.

We’ll have to catch up for a guitar geek out when you come over to NP, Rog!
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

A new project on the autocad ready for a build starting at the weekend :)

Pics will follow then...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I haven't updated this for awhile, I blame lockdown!

Two ongoing projects - Recovering a large box Marshall Plexi for a forumite, I bet its a great sounding amp :D I don't have a cab to try it through! I suppose it could go into the cannabis rex in my tweed deluxe... hmmmm

Remembered why its almost impossible to remove marshall corners without breaking them. The rivets splay out when they're hammered home. Combined with old brittle plastic - you're knackered.

I tried, bloody hard - even bought a tack lifter to get them out but no, the splayed ends did them.

Have recommenced the DSL40 head cab after much waiting on parts, my order from europe finally arrived after months. Suppliers are usually fantastic so another victim of covid delivery.

Anyway if anyone is wanting a lovely solid wood cab with half blind dovetails, I now have the kit. I won't be using it for normal tolex jointed cabs as setup is a fucking pain. My through dovetail jig I have down to a fine art.

so that was a happy weekend working on something I like doing, and not making windows or repairing rotten wood or re-shingling :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Haven't updated with pics... so here we go. I used the half blind jig in the end. The joints were good and square, still a fanny around!

Its been a long time coming. This is the one that I was making during lockdown that ended up the wrong size. Still not sure how that happened but that shell went on a funeral pyre of offcuts.

Then of course stuff lost in transit, post covid delays etc.

This still had a few bloody issues so I'll be glad to see the back of it finally!!!
Attachments
dsl5.jpg
dsl5.jpg (582.18 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
dsl4.jpg
dsl4.jpg (686.85 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
dsl3.jpg
dsl3.jpg (665.96 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
dsl2.jpg
dsl2.jpg (583.98 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
dsl1.jpg
dsl1.jpg (698.64 KiB) Viewed 4012 times

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

Awesome job BG

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Nice as always. Is it for a Marshall build?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

MikeC wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:07 pm Nice as always. Is it for a Marshall build?
Marshall DSL 40 head cab :)