PG Spark users thread

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: PG Spark users thread

Post by chur »

I like the way their website still shows all the sold out specials you can no longer get, which are mildly sharper than current pricing :thumbdown:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mini Forklift wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 pm Danny & JB, have fun. Interested to hear what you think of it, might be seeing a few more Katana's up on TM soon haha ?!
Nah, different things entirely, this will be my go-to for learning stuff and the Katana is where the real magic happens :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Only managed a short play this afternoon, but the clean tone was really nice, dialled in a tone very similar to my Mayer / SRV tone I use on the Katana with my Strat, sounds seriously good, tried a few presets and was underwhelmed, will probably do what I do with the katana and set the amp and eq up on the unit then save and add effects in with the editor later.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I took the plunge and ordered one, I'm thinking it will be a useful practice tool to use alongside the Katana. I shall put the Trio+ back on TradeMe I think.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:37 pm I took the plunge and ordered one, I'm thinking it will be a useful practice tool to use alongside the Katana. I shall put the Trio+ back on TradeMe I think.
I saw your name and address pop up at the bottom of the page as "Just purchased" after my name popped up with "Just purchased" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looks like it will be a fun bit of kit for the bucks :D

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

:thumbup: I'll dibs on any that dont float the boat
:mental:

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm Only managed a short play this afternoon, but the clean tone was really nice, dialled in a tone very similar to my Mayer / SRV tone I use on the Katana with my Strat, sounds seriously good, tried a few presets and was underwhelmed, will probably do what I do with the katana and set the amp and eq up on the unit then save and add effects in with the editor later.
Yeah the cleans are decent I found, the presets a bit whatever. But there’s a bazillion to work through on tone cloud. Also for me, I was mostly looking up the songs and playing along, I found in the case a tone that didn’t match, or at least complement was really jarring! (Didn’t help that I’m still getting around the fact the jazzmaster has a rhythm circuit switch I keep bumping, and was cycling through all the tones wondering why they were all so similar and dark and wooly. Gotta tape that friggin switch up!)

And to the Katana question, nah, different beasts, different purposes. I think the Spark takes all the tech that makes learning easy these days and packs It into a real neat little amp and app package.

Wish this was available when in ‘85 or whenever it was I bought my hondo and aria 15w solid state POS! Kids today, etc....

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I was 50/50 when thinking about buying one, I'm not too fussed with gear that needs an App. But thought I may as well give it a go as it should be easy enough to sell on without too much loss. Especially if the introductory price ends soon. Having something smaller than the Katana Artist to move around the house is also a good option.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm tried a few presets and was underwhelmed
yeah I have found with all digital amps I have tried the presets sound shit (same with all the multi effects units that have been around forever. You listen to a tone on you tube or where ever and it sounds awesome so you download it only for it so sound terrible in the flesh. That guy on the Katana FB page that sells those tone bundles puts up free ones that sound epic, so I loaded one into mine and it was horrible :rofl: ... I assume the ones I made that sound fantastic on my amp also sound shit when I have shared them (olderama/hamo??)

I had never really heard of this Spark thing until seeing this thread yesterday (although ads for it have appeared on my FB page often but I never really even looked at it) ... looks pretty cool. Makes me wonder why Boss don't just have a phone app option for the Katana
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:54 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:34 pm tried a few presets and was underwhelmed
yeah I have found with all digital amps I have tried the presets sound shit (same with all the multi effects units that have been around forever. You listen to a tone on you tube or where ever and it sounds awesome so you download it only for it so sound terrible in the flesh. That guy on the Katana FB page that sells those tone bundles puts up free ones that sound epic, so I loaded one into mine and it was horrible :rofl: ... I assume the ones I made that sound fantastic on my amp also sound shit when I have shared them (olderama/hamo??)

I had never really heard of this Spark thing until seeing this thread yesterday (although ads for it have appeared on my FB page often but I never really even looked at it) ... looks pretty cool. Makes me wonder why Boss don't just have a phone app option for the Katana
Yeah the HD500 and HD500X's I had the stock presets were just overwhelmed with way too many effects and unusable for my purposes, much more a fan of subtle effects usage, my main patch on the katana has a tremelo you can turn off and on and you can barely hear its there but it just adds a little bit of interest....

Was that the Juca Nery guys patches he sells for an absolute fortune? I tried some of his free ones too and they sounded shit, nothing like the video demo of them, even with a very similar guitar, was bizarre... again he uses way too many effects...

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

Had a little play this morning. I think the amp sims are very very good, especially through headphones. I love the form factor of it too.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:22 am
Was that the Juca Nery guys patches he sells for an absolute fortune? I tried some of his free ones too and they sounded shit, nothing like the video demo of them, even with a very similar guitar, was bizarre... again he uses way too many effects...
yep thats the guy
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

I've been thinking of ordering a Spark but just talked to a friend who said his was dark and boxy sounding and doesn't compare to his Vox Adio Air.

Has anyone else had that problem? Or I wonder if there could be some dud units out there.

Most people seem to love them but I also saw this issue raised on the PG forums https://forum.positivegrid.com/topic/39 ... -US&page=1

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Weird, haven't tried a backing track yet, planning on a deep dive this afternoon :)

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:41 pm Weird, haven't tried a backing track yet, planning on a deep dive this afternoon :)
Muff?
:mental: