Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 928 times

Strat size P90 pickup?

Post by Reg18 »

Looking for a Strat size (without the full size fibre bottom) to fit in the bridge position of my Jaguar.
I currently have Seymour Duncan SSL6 pickups in it which I like but the whole guitar being semi hollow doesn’t have the same gain as a solid body. I’m hoping to find some with a little more gain with out loosing that single coil clarity.

What Strat size pickup options are there?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Strat size P90 pickup?

Post by GrantB »

Vintage Vibe Guitars will built that for you. And Pete's stuff sounds fantastic.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

These guys makes really nice pickups: https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/p90- ... ickup.html
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Duncan Quarter Pound?
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

no no no that would be TERRIBLE ..... I want it so stop advertising it here :rofl:

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

ImageYeah it might be in the ballpark, although it’s a neck one not bridge. I also have an issue of size of the bottom bobbin to consider as mine is routed for traditional Jag pickups meaning it might not fit all Strat pickups.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

So an SSL6 is a 13.3k pickup, that's hot AF for a single coil bridge pickup, anything P90ish will be significantly lower, maybe for increasing gain a clean boost might get you there instead?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

It's half the resistance of what he's got though, so way less gain?!??? Or do I not understand pickups!?!??

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:15 pm So an SSL6 is a 13.3k pickup, that's hot AF for a single coil bridge pickup, anything P90ish will be significantly lower, maybe for increasing gain a clean boost might get you there instead?
That’s what I can’t figure out, the SSL6s are supposed to be hot pickups but when I switch between my Tele and Jag on the same patch’s on my HX Stomp I need to turn up the gain a few notches to match (think my Tele pickup is around 7-8k) it could just be the nature of a hollow body?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:35 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:15 pm So an SSL6 is a 13.3k pickup, that's hot AF for a single coil bridge pickup, anything P90ish will be significantly lower, maybe for increasing gain a clean boost might get you there instead?
That’s what I can’t figure out, the SSL6s are supposed to be hot pickups but when I switch between my Tele and Jag on the same patch’s on my HX Stomp I need to turn up the gain a few notches to match (think my Tele pickup is around 7-8k) it could just be the nature of a hollow body?
Are the heights around the same? could be a faulty pickup, got a multimeter? higher pickup will have more volume.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:52 pm
Reg18 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:35 pm
Are the heights around the same? could be a faulty pickup, got a multimeter? higher pickup will have more volume.
Yeah heights are around the same. The Jag is just as loud but has less distortion. I was considering something with a bit more growl anyway so a P90 ish
Pickup for tone as much as gain probably.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

not sure how much the K ratings have to do with the P90 sound. I think the magnet size is a big factor. Quarter pound to me is very p90 and is rated around 14k..then compare that to say a Dimarzio SDS1 which is around 9K but is way hotter than the duncan (well in breaks up a lot more into a clean amp anyway)...has a very similar tone. Both sound great with Alder but the SDS1 might be to "deep" because it has a huge magnet on the bottom of the pickup which doesn't leave a lot of room in a lot of routings