WNSD! JM & THR

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

WNSD! JM & THR

Post by Starfire »

(So many acronyms! Actually initialisms, but anyway...)

Whole New Setup Day! Posted a sneak pic of the new Jazzmaster when it arrived, but here's a few more.

It's an American Original '60s Jazzmaster. Basically a '65ish Jazzmaster with a couple of tweaks—9.5" fingerboard radius and a slightly angled neck pocket, so the bridge sits at a better height and the break angle is improved and the strings don't jump out of place. Bridge is still a bit rattly though (it's the saddle screws, I've worked out), so I've got a different one on the way with fewer moving parts.

Neck's probably a tad on the thin side for some, but a comfortable '60s C. I'm not terribly fussy about neck profile these days. Really enjoying the neck pickup. I've wanted a JM for ages, so this is a forever guitar for me!

Also got this blue-green thing:

My current living situation doesn't really allow for a proper amp. My Princeton's chilling back in Hamilton. Looking forward to playing the JM through it, but the Yamaha does a pretty good low-volume impersonation. Doesn't get that Blackface breakup, but the clean reverb sound is really nice. The Class A setting does a very convcing Vox. I haven't explored the other sounds much, but I'm impressed with how good this little thing sounds and how much the different models even feel like the real thing. :thumbup:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: WNSD! JM & THR

Post by Molly »

Lake Placid Blue?????

That looks great.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Looks epic
Mastery bridge now

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

What size Frets on it?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Molly wrote:Lake Placid Blue?????

That looks great.
Ocean Turquoise. Very difficult to photograph. It's actually greener than the pics suggest.
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Looks epic
Mastery bridge now
I went for a bridge from an American Professional Jazzmaster. It's basically a Mustang bridge but with the right 9.5" radius for my neck and the slighly narrower string spacing of Mastery, et al. Similar to a Staytrem or the Johnny Marr Jaguar bridge. I've never really liked the look of the Mastery and the AmPro one was about 1/3 of the price...
AiRdAd wrote:What size Frets on it?
'Vintage tall' according to the specs. I think they're a tiny bit wider than vintage rather than taller, though.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Form over function I guess. I'll take a perfectly set up non buzzy set and forget mastery any time. But then the style I play is very hard on the trem system so I definitely get the best out of a mastery. I happen to think they look pretty cool tho.

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

Awesome JM! These look really good in OTM.

The AV65s have an angled neck pocket too, btw. American Originals have a poly undercoat with the nitro (AV65s are all-nitro), 9.5" radius and the "vintage tall" (6105) frets. Those are the only real differences.