dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by dayl »

Molly wrote:This is the sort of thing I'd like to be able to achieve but I can't get the yellowed clear.
Grab an old fishtank, modify the air pump a little so it can puff on ciggies. Grab a pack of Winfield Reds, place guitar in tank, seal and start puffing. Exhaust fan would help.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Just finally got a workable finish after filling al the hole on the 8 string.
Looking forward to routing for a single bridge pup, refinishing and installing the Lundgren 8)

Concrete grey is the colour of choice for this ting

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Shit, I looked through the work in progress pile earlier, I have at least 7 guitars in various states. Weird and wonderful among them :)

They're lower priority than rotting windows and scoots, but they're on the list!

So on my workbench today were two new windows. I can do the joinery easily enough, I'm a shit glazier though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Decided to go for Tru Oil finish, one coat on and looking promising. Brought it inside for the night to dry - bit cold in the garage for her.

I'll save the nitro for the tele body that's next, I'll mess with some wood dye next time too.
Loving it so far

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

Bg wrote:Shit, I looked through the work in progress pile earlier, I have at least 7 guitars in various states. Weird and wonderful among them :)

They're lower priority than rotting windows and scoots, but they're on the list!

So on my workbench today were two new windows. I can do the joinery easily enough, I'm a shit glazier though.
SNAP, I have many unfinished projects too, also working on the home prevented any guitar related activities today - took me all day to do 5 baseboards on the front of the house
Attachments
99068137_3148839791821709_2551844017075650560_o.jpg
99068137_3148839791821709_2551844017075650560_o.jpg (193.14 KiB) Viewed 3808 times

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I'm just happy most of my powertool purchases are transferrable between house maintenance and guitar/amp builds :)

Need a new router, 1/2" ryobi of 4 years is making a whinging noise. I kept the receipt, but its one that has never needed to be swapped under warranty...

It should have been, the power switch stopped working after about 18 months but after that, I bypassed it and its lived in a table so it never mattered :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:I'm just happy most of my powertool purchases are transferrable between house maintenance and guitar/amp builds :)

Need a new router, 1/2" ryobi of 4 years is making a whinging noise. I kept the receipt, but its one that has never needed to be swapped under warranty...

It should have been, the power switch stopped working after about 18 months but after that, I bypassed it and its lived in a table so it never mattered :)
Our reno project has given me the excuse to buy more power tools. I've an old hearth and 'decorative' brickwork to remove so bought this the other day.
drill 2.JPG
drill 2.JPG (40.59 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
And I was idly looking at a this.
drill.JPG
drill.JPG (29.21 KiB) Viewed 3778 times

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Hammer Drills... fml…. I've done a fair bit of structural steel rigging, its always flip a coin time when it comes to the drilling.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Lostininverness wrote:
MakoGat wrote:So this was a lockdown build with whatever I had in my shop available, neck is maple with rosewood board, body is basswood and chambered to the max - its feather light, top is also rosewood - I have a ton of 3-8mm blanks, Gotoh locking tuners, Schaller roller bridge and gold hardware, strung with 11-49s - neck and body tung oiled, sanded, tung oiled, sanded ect and its the smoothest feel ever. Im not sure yet but I may bung in another vol and tone. Was going to sell it but it may just become my shop hack.
Currently putting together a silver burst tele and more on the cards build wise.
Never would have picked that as rosewood either. Do you have any more pics? Not bad for a "hack"!

I plan to post up more images on my Facebook and Instagram page

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

ChAoZ wrote:
MakoGat wrote:So this was a lockdown build with whatever I had in my shop available, neck is maple with rosewood board, body is basswood and chambered to the max - its feather light, top is also rosewood - I have a ton of 3-8mm blanks, Gotoh locking tuners, Schaller roller bridge and gold hardware, strung with 11-49s - neck and body tung oiled, sanded, tung oiled, sanded ect and its the smoothest feel ever. Im not sure yet but I may bung in another vol and tone. Was going to sell it but it may just become my shop hack.
Currently putting together a silver burst tele and more on the cards build wise.
Looks very nice, I thought that the top was Walnut
I purchased probably 20x 3M lengths ranging from 3mm to 8mm a while back, some of it is pretty funky looking though.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Bit of a mock up of the final form. I'm hoping a few more coats of oil should darken it up a touch, and once Glyns pickups turn up it will be ready to shred.

Ideally would like a 2 point trem, but I got no more money to put into it just yet. Want to see how it sounds and plays first too.

Loving it so far

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Molly wrote: And I was idly looking at a this.
drill.JPG

I have this one, cant fault it. Potential issues are a bit fiddly to adjust (like all of them i guess and i hardly ever bother anyway) and the distance between the drill and backstand might be limited for some applications (like most of them).

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Molly wrote:This is the sort of thing I'd like to be able to achieve but I can't get the yellowed clear.
XX-fender-Stratocaster-1964-olympic-white-003.jpg
why cant you get the yellowed clear?
I have a can of yellowed clear at home, dont ask me where i got it though :)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Optical wrote:
XX-fender-Stratocaster-1964-olympic-white-003.jpg
why cant you get the yellowed clear?
I have a can of yellowed clear at home, dont ask me where i got it though :)
Aerosol nitro with a translucent amber tint. Just impossible to find.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I’m pretty sure I can’t be sending flammable nitro in the post.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves