Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Well, PAL Coating Remover is a shit product and a fucking waste of $15.
And yet you were clearly over-excited about it!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Seriously though, so much mixed results from paint stripper. Hot air gun is next level, at least it works. And with some poly it actually chips itself off :)

Either is better than sanding though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:Seriously though, so much mixed results from paint stripper. Hot air gun is next level, at least it works. And with some poly it actually chips itself off :)

Either is better than sanding though.
Poly is easy, as you say, with a heat-gun. I'd much rather strip poly than nitro. Off to Bunnings tomorrow to get some proper stuff.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I got a heat gun today. Got it to help dry my daughters art project that we did a "pour" paint job on but it was dry. Tried it on one of my guitars today (poly) and holy shit the paint just scrapes off easy as piss...why the hell has it taken me this long to get one? :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

willow13 wrote:I got a heat gun today. Got it to help dry my daughters art project that we did a "pour" paint job on but it was dry. Tried it on one of my guitars today (poly) and holy shit the paint just scrapes off easy as piss...why the hell has it taken me this long to get one? :rofl:
Happy heatgun day to you
Happy heatgun day to you
Happy heatgun day dear Willow
Happy heatgun day to you

:mental:
:mental:

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

I used a heatgun to strip my Wolfgang. I placed it carvetop down and proceeded heat the sides which were very stubborn to strip. End result was a very black burnt burst. I've never appreciated the thick sealer used on production guitars so much in my life. It was not good.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

I have come down to a new low... fixed a Behringer GX110 amp :oops:
Also fixed the two broken shafts on the left with some plastic rods which I cut back to fit.

Doesn't sound too bad actually.
GX110 DSCN0083.JPG
GX110 DSCN0083.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 3328 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

My just acquired Rockit 50/100 combo chassis on the workbench. The cab appears to be Rimu with the cane grill - nice. This thing when assembled weighs close to a metric ton, I couldn't believe how frickin' heavy it is! I'm replacing the filter caps & fixing a few issues hopefully. Have cleaned her up already, cleaned the jacks, re-flowed/re-terminated most of the power tube wiring & other dodgy looking wiring. You cannot get schematics for these but the power section is apparently similar to a Boogie MKI. But the solid-state pre-amp section is a mystery so if anyone has any info that could help me then please PM.
Rockit 50-100 Gutshot.jpg
Rockit 50-100 Gutshot.jpg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

New parts from ToneLounge Mat to put a fresh loom in the PRS. Nice wee job for the weekend.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Sanded back the first attempt / coat of nitro white on the Strat body and decided to grain-fill. That's drying at the moment. In the mean time I'm researching alternatives to nitro fro a change. Probably won't go with a Tru-Oil finish but this looks nice:

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I've done a sealer coat and one round of natural grain filler, just sanding it off now.

Should I finish with Tru Oil or nitro lacquer, I've only got clear though.
Attachments
IMG_20200522_143757.jpg
IMG_20200522_143757.jpg (5.03 MiB) Viewed 3209 times
Loving it so far

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

StratMatt wrote:I've done a sealer coat and one round of natural grain filler, just sanding it off now.

Looks like we're at similar stages. Similar questions too. Be interested to see how it comes out regardless of the direction you go in.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Molly wrote:
StratMatt wrote:I've done a sealer coat and one round of natural grain filler, just sanding it off now.

Looks like we're at similar stages. Similar questions too. Be interested to see how it comes out regardless of the direction you go in.
I've faffed around enough I can't be arsed sourcing tinted lacquer. I figure if it doesn't turn out as good as expected I can always do a solid colour later.
Loving it so far

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

StratMatt wrote:
Molly wrote:

I've faffed around enough I can't be arsed sourcing tinted lacquer. I figure if it doesn't turn out as good as expected I can always do a solid colour later.
I'm just back in from the shed. Bit too cold to paint but I still did a bit. Sanded back the grain filler with 400 and gave it a quick coat of Olympic White nitro (aerosol). By next week it'll be nice and dry and I can flat it back before going for a solid colour. Leaning towards faded Shell Pink for which I think a white base might be appropriate. I really want to do it in one coat if I can. If I had access to appropriately tinted clear I might just keep it white but there's more chance of that going wrong that right.

I intend painting the recesses with black, conductive paint so not too worried about scraping-out the old colour. Not going to attempt any relic work. If I can get a super thin finish with a nice shine (not glass-like - that wouldn't look right) that'll do.
stratish.jpg
stratish.jpg (267.75 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
This Strat's got CS69 pickups, a treble bleed, and (once I fit it) a Jesse Davey Kingtone switch. I'll also put a brass block in it just to see what difference that makes.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

This is the sort of thing I'd like to be able to achieve but I can't get the yellowed clear.
XX-fender-Stratocaster-1964-olympic-white-003.jpg
XX-fender-Stratocaster-1964-olympic-white-003.jpg (296.96 KiB) Viewed 3173 times