slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Simple, affordable amp modelling - that sounds good

Post by slash-ed »

Bg wrote:
slash-ed wrote:BOSS GT-1, or Katana 50 (even though that's not modelling)
What do you call it if its not modelling? COSM?
Katana isn't modelling because it isn't modelling any specific real world amps.

They're DSP-based preamp sections, for sure. But it's not "modelling" in the sense that people usually mean, where they expect a Twin Reverb or a JTM45 or a Bogner XTC or whatever.

GT-1 is modelling, through and through :) and yes, COSM on that one.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

slash-ed wrote:
Bg wrote:
slash-ed wrote:BOSS GT-1, or Katana 50 (even though that's not modelling)

They're DSP-based preamp sections, for sure. But it's not "modelling" in the sense that people usually mean, where they expect a Twin Reverb or a JTM45 or a Bogner XTC or whatever.

How about the GT-100 as these are available in the Mk1 Koc (unsure about the Mk2).
And I always thought the models in the Mk1 were based on real amps - just not described in the manual for copyright purposes ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

A quick google reveals the ampliFIRE is more expensive than the Iridium, so that's out for this unemployed sound engineer

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Laney IRT studio is a sleeper piece of gear. I got one for $450 on marketplace. Not a modeler, an actual tube rack amp, but has the versatility of a modeler.
3 channels. Clean (a very decent clean at that), Crunch and lead with built in boost and reverb that are all switchable.
I love the tone of all 3 channels on mine. So I ended up buying the 60 watt combo too.
<1 watt input and also a 15 watt input. Loud enough to gig with.
Built in load and headphone out so you can record without a cab connected in silence.
Built in interface. Hook up via usb to ya comp and set up so ya DAW recognises it.
Re-amping feature too.
Ticks a lot of boxes.

I have a 3 button Atomic Amplifire too that I'm in love with. There is no bullshit digital artifacts coming out of the AA like I've heard with other modelers.
But I run mine through fx returns of my tube amps. It sound like the real deal to me.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Loved my amplifire, it was just a complete fanny around editing the bloody thing.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Yeah that is a let down of the unit. I'm gonna have a go at controlling it via midi one day soon.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

griff7628 wrote:Laney IRT studio is a sleeper piece of gear. I got one for $450 on marketplace. Not a modeler, an actual tube rack amp, but has the versatility of a modeler.
3 channels. Clean (a very decent clean at that), Crunch and lead with built in boost and reverb that are all switchable.
I love the tone of all 3 channels on mine. So I ended up buying the 60 watt combo too.
<1 watt input and also a 15 watt input. Loud enough to gig with.
Built in load and headphone out so you can record without a cab connected in silence.
Built in interface. Hook up via usb to ya comp and set up so ya DAW recognises it.
Re-amping feature too.
Ticks a lot of boxes.

I have a 3 button Atomic Amplifire too that I'm in love with. There is no bullshit digital artifacts coming out of the AA like I've heard with other modelers.
But I run mine through fx returns of my tube amps. It sound like the real deal to me.
That Laney looks wicked! anyone got more of them $450 ones?

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

If you have Facebook check marketplace cause I think there's another one on there

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

How about a leeched guitar rig 5 and monitors for cheapness
:mental:

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Good IRs will make even the Mooer version of the Helix sound good - that might be a good start? https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/mooer-g ... on-fx.html

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Ed, what is a KOC like as a direct recording - does it do speaker modelling and the whole deal? the bassist in my band has a Big Black KOC and it's a great sounding amp but I've never tried it direct.
Disclaimer: I haven't tried this personally as I'm intending to mic mine up for recording, but most reports I've heard are they sound really thin if you record direct, and I think its fundamentally a lack of proper cabinet simulation and adding an IR loader makes a huge difference!

I guess even superman has kryptonite :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Boss katana or atomic amplifier I'd say.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Bg wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Bg wrote:

How about the GT-100 as these are available in the Mk1 Koc (unsure about the Mk2).
And I always thought the models in the Mk1 were based on real amps - just not described in the manual for copyright purposes ;)
Nope. Katana amp sounds are original designs. They might be inspired by certain classics but they're not trying to replicate or duplicate anything.

GT-100 and GT-1 are the same sound engine.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Ed, what is a KOC like as a direct recording - does it do speaker modelling and the whole deal? the bassist in my band has a Big Black KOC and it's a great sounding amp but I've never tried it direct.
It's great, I use it all the time. It has a cab emulated recording/line out in the vein of a Greenback loaded quad box.
jeremyb wrote: Disclaimer: I haven't tried this personally as I'm intending to mic mine up for recording, but most reports I've heard are they sound really thin if you record direct, and I think its fundamentally a lack of proper cabinet simulation and adding an IR loader makes a huge difference!

I guess even superman has kryptonite :mrgreen:
Have to completely disagree with you there JB. Also what is "proper" cabinet simulation? Palmer PDIs have been a staple of cab emulation for decades and essentially all they are is just an EQ curve. An IR is just a more modern version of exactly the same concept.

Every Katana video that I do is recorded direct to an interface using the Katana's Recording Out jack.

For example:

Or more recently this one, which is getting some hits on FB! My friend's guitar sound is Helix Native using a dual amp chain, IRs, the whole shebang. I'm using Katana direct, single amp, phaser, delay and reverb, and I think it really stands up.

https://www.facebook.com/sixstringsamur ... TU0NDM1OA/

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

HA! Yes, that does sound good, theres a lot of delay and reverb on that, did you add it post or is it the katana effects?

By proper I mean an IR :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.