HNAD: Something a bit different

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: HNAD: Something a bit different

Post by PaulWD »

Reg18 wrote:I’d like to know what transformers this had, as in can Paul build another one which would sound identical?
I reused the iron in this build, original power, choke and output transformers. They were late 50s NZ made, probably by radio corp or Collier and Beale.

I have a few more similar trafo sets and can build more of these. It is heartening to me to see the reaction of you guys. I think I'll build up a few similar.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I loved how you had reused old radios and battery chargers etc, they looked cool as fuck and sounded awesome too!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by PaulWD »

jeremyb wrote:I loved how you had reused old radios and battery chargers etc, they looked cool as fuck and sounded awesome too!!
Cheers. I had great fun yesterday

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Pleased to report that this amp is great with my The Dude overdrive. A nice Strymon reverb and trem would be cool as and when they float by.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Pleased to report that this amp is great with my The Dude overdrive. A nice Strymon reverb and trem would be cool as and when they float by.
That would be a Flint then. Can confirm its general goodness.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote:Pleased to report that this amp is great with my The Dude overdrive. A nice Strymon reverb and trem would be cool as and when they float by.
Indeed!

Can confirm I had one and sold it... LOL

Still, you can't know what'll go with what when you don't know what you'll get, and before you know it you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Indeed!

Still, you can't know what'll go with what when you don't know what you'll get, and before you know it you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone.
And you can't lose what you never had.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Sure sounds nice from that video clip

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Sure sounds nice from that video clip
Just does that one thing but it's so nice break-up is cool. Helps that I've got an insulated shed.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

But that one thing that it does great is probably all you need, pedals can take care of the rest

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Indeed!

That is so true.
I just sold a simple handwired 6 watt amp. Since then, I've got into the 'Truth About Vintage Amps' podcast which is proving brilliant for de-mystifying the whole amp guts thing.
I've got the schematics and the guidance; if only I had a simple 6 watt amp to follow through on everything I'm learning. :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote:Since then, I've got into the 'Truth About Vintage Amps' podcast which is proving brilliant for de-mystifying the whole amp guts thing.
I've got the schematics and the guidance; if only I had a simple 6 watt amp to follow through on everything I'm learning. :roll:
This has piqued my interest! Shall check it out!! Thanks Bruce! :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.