who made DIPLOMAT guitars in the 60`s and 70`s

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

guitartech
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by guitartech »

Diplomats were a brand of Aria Instrument company back in the 60's that would make and tailor cheap guitar lines to the countrys that were buying them.. Robert smith for years made famous the Fender Jazzmaster in his recordings and live sets. but when you look closey and read a little about the band. he had a diplomat pickup fitted between the pickups in the JM and for years has just been using that sound up until he started messing around with other guitar brands..
I have had several Diplomats myself over the years and worked on several that have come thru my business for repair or hot rodding.. some are better than others.. and a few are really classics in there own right. but it was an Aria Brand.. Hope this helps you out..
Guitar tech and international man of Mystery..
http://www.myspace.com/kiwiguitars

Gregoire Olaoghaire
Stagg
Stagg

Re: who made DIPLOMAT guitars in the 60`s and 70`s

Post by Gregoire Olaoghaire »

AAAAhhh...at last a result when googling Diplomat!
My first electric was a Diplomat Custom bought with the ill-"past participle of get" gains from working the school holidays at Corbans vineyards in 1967-8.
I got it from Lewis Eadys in Queen Street. It was a strange strat copy, 3 chrome pichups in a chrome sratchplate, sunburst, hopeless tremelo arm
but with a good neck. i scrapped the pickups and scratchplate and made my own with a couple of humbuckers that made the guitar roar thru my jansen75 bassman. I still have this guitar! i will post a piccy once I figure out how to do it. My mate rockin' roger white and I used to live with a big bunch of crazed hippies at the end of Jubilee Ave on North Head. We would hold parties and entertain the Carmel college schoolgirls with our take on Krautrock (tape delay and home mae fuzz box).
Anyone else got an original unmodified version. I wish i had kept the bits!
Cheers!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Rog »

Welcome along!
Yes, please post pics.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re:

Post by smallface »

sgt mukuzi wrote:yea man the guitar that SRV bought here in new zealand
its a solid axe, nice fat neck one piece with skunk stripe
i know a guy in hamilton has one, i have one and srv had one
any more out there :?:
Last time I was in Cadenza (about 6 months ago I think), Eddie had a Diplomat Strat (Mother of Pearl inlay), natural finish, maple neck which just happened to be my first ever electric guitar. It was a nice gat.
Told him this and he upped the price. :lol:
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

JimiC
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JimiC »

I Bought one off a friends dad the other day, Im building a gilmour setup using it. the bridge is rugged as anything, it does need a refret so im looking at spending around 600-700 on a refret a repaint a new scratch plate and new electronics. Its 3 way pickup selector and it has a killswitch. excellent neck will need shimming probably. I estimate it to be around 20 years old maybe a little more.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

JimiC wrote:I Bought one off a friends dad the other day, Im building a gilmour setup using it. im looking at spending around 600-700
:wtf:
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

JimiC
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JimiC »

a bad idea? haha its my project guitar id love to hear opinions.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

The search continues for the sunburst diplomat bass that was in the shed for years when I was growing up. My dad cant remember who he leant it to.
Hopefully it has gone to a good home...

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

JimiC wrote:a bad idea? haha its my project guitar id love to hear opinions.
Nah, as long as the neck floats your boat...I think you'll find it might cost you more than you think to Gilmour it. $700 might just cover a refret and paint job...but there's still pickups ($300ish) electronics ($100ish) a good setup ($100ish) you could get a decent mexi strat for less with most of the work done.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2481 times

Post by Slowy »

My first ever electric was a Diplomat SG; bought from Beggs in Hawera. I really have no idea if it was a good guitar or not and can't remember what happened to it.
The Diplomat badge was nailed on. I never thought to look if there was another logo underneath. Probably something like Gibson. :P
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Inastate
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Inastate »

Hi, I just recently inherited a Diplomat badged guitar from my late grandmother. I haven’t been able to find any info on it until now so thanks. hopefully you can identify what exactly it is, I don’t know much about guitars as I’ve been more into the drums until now. Any info is appreciated
C8EC08EF-95C5-4BDB-99D1-BD0BA1EF1002.jpeg
C8EC08EF-95C5-4BDB-99D1-BD0BA1EF1002.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 6969 times
5A8F7FA0-E3F7-4389-A1FF-7825DF03FFF1.jpeg
5A8F7FA0-E3F7-4389-A1FF-7825DF03FFF1.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6969 times
1B064B27-856B-4BD3-870C-360D36A370CC.jpeg
1B064B27-856B-4BD3-870C-360D36A370CC.jpeg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 6969 times

expandora
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Post by expandora »

I had one just the same perhaps that is my old one, I sold it around late 70's early 80's I think. I also had matching bass guitar which i still have.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I remember Diplomat guitars hanging on the racks in "Hunters & Collectors" in the '80s.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

my first electric, a Diplomat "SG" copy. - bought from Elaine Moody's (Charlie Jemmet was the salesman). $120.00 brand new with case.

Check out the Marvic 50 head...god I wish I had kept that.
Sharp eyes might recognise Allan Catermole on drums and Lance Parkyn on bass (Bon Marche).
gat 004.jpg
gat 004.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
gat 005.jpg
gat 005.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 6241 times
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Rog »

Moi in the '60s Diplomat bass
Attachments
Rog '68.jpg
Rog '68.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
Rog diplomat.jpg
Rog diplomat.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...