Strat pickups?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Strat pickups?

Post by MattH »

Molly wrote:If I back-off the preamp on my RK50 from one o'clock to twelve I get a completely different dynamic thing going on that makes me favour one guitar over another. Strat on the lower, Tele on the higher. If I hit the boost it makes me want to play on humbuckers. So, yeah. Amps will play a part.

What tone do you have in your head?
Nothing heavy. Relatively clean, Fender-amp breakup. I play low wattage amps. A 5w VibroChamp is my go to and getting it to break up is not too tricky, so I don’t want anything too hot.

I like that position 2 and 4 stuff on a Strat. The sound you can’t get from a Tele. That’s probably what I’m aiming for. I don’t know what you’d call it. Is that what these dudes refer to as “glassy”?
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

you should probably have a read of this: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... e-Friedman
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

WellyBlues wrote:you should probably have a read of this: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... e-Friedman
Yeah - I read through all that the other day. The string gauge thing is pretty interesting, eh?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Even if you can solder, you should still get an obsidian wire kit from Mat at tone lounge, you just need to strip the wires and plug them into the fancy connectors he uses on the PCB :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

lollars for me
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

mugamee wrote:lollars for me
I love Lollars. I have a vintage set in my Tele. Proper bo.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

Well, I found a neck. A second hand MJT/USACG one.

There's no turning back now! Danny - I blame you.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've probably got some parts etc here. what do you need to complete it?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

AiRdAd wrote:I've probably got some parts etc here. what do you need to complete it?
Thanks Danny.

I think I'm going to go with the loaded pickguard route, and I've already a nice bridge assembly. The neck came with tuners, so from my calcs, I just need a jack-plate, neck-plate and neck-plate screws and I'm done. Got any of those bits?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

MattH wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:I've probably got some parts etc here. what do you need to complete it?
Thanks Danny.

I think I'm going to go with the loaded pickguard route, and I've already a nice bridge assembly. The neck came with tuners, so from my calcs, I just need a jack-plate, neck-plate and neck-plate screws and I'm done. Got any of those bits?
Bugger - I don't think I do sorry

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

No worries. They're not pricey bits. Can get those through guitarparts.co.nz anyway, I think.

I think I might hit Tony B up for a couple of the assembly jobs. No holes drilled on the neck, and I want to make sure I do a good job of that. I can probably manage the rest.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

MattH wrote:No worries. They're not pricey bits. Can get those through guitarparts.co.nz anyway, I think.

I think I might hit Tony B up for a couple of the assembly jobs. No holes drilled on the neck, and I want to make sure I do a good job of that. I can probably manage the rest.
Yeap - good idea - I get him to do the same :-)

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Having great sounding wood can make most pickups sound great, but you can often find a perfect match for a particular guitar if you have a few sets with different resonant peak you can fine tune things to get that perfect match, and fine tune again with different value volume pots and capacitors, you will know when you find the sweet spot it’s like focusing a camera. Some body recommending there fav pickups might not be the best for your particular guitar?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Voxshall wrote:Having great sounding wood can make most pickups sound great, but you can often find a perfect match for a particular guitar if you have a few sets with different resonant peak you can fine tune things to get that perfect match, and fine tune again with different value volume pots and capacitors, you will know when you find the sweet spot it’s like focusing a camera. Some body recommending there fav pickups might not be the best for your particular guitar?
I would never know what I was aiming for. the only way I could do it is if I had one as a reference point, and kept on A/B ing them.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Voxshall wrote:Having great sounding wood can make most pickups sound great, but you can often find a perfect match for a particular guitar if you have a few sets with different resonant peak you can fine tune things to get that perfect match, and fine tune again with different value volume pots and capacitors, you will know when you find the sweet spot it’s like focusing a camera. Some body recommending there fav pickups might not be the best for your particular guitar?
Definitely agree with this. Oooh happy days! The CS69 pickup I ordered on 13/3 just arrived :) I'm gonna replace the current neck pickup in my Strat (a 57/62) with the CS69. I've always struggled with the Strat neck position and continue to try different things. So here we go again :)
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe