Strat pickups?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Strat pickups?

Post by MattH »

What are your faves? Why?
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Strat pickups?

Post by codedog »

Following...

I have only used 3 different sets.

SSL-1 neck and mid, SSL-5 bridge. It was nice, a bit hot but super crisp.
Stock Alnico 5 set in the Player Series. Pleasant enough, nothing to write home about.
SD Antiquities. Very nicely balanced, warm but clear and open. So far my favourite.

I also tried an Andy Timmons set, the one in his older signature Ibanez. It's basically DiMarzio Cruiser Bridge in neck and mid, and AT-1 in the bridge. The AT-1 was crazy bright on its own. The Cruisers were nice and mellow, but didn't sound like single coils to my ears.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'm really new to strats, so limited experience is BKP Apaches in kdawg2a's blue Strat, Fender Tex mex's in my roadworn, much higher gain than the Apaches and sound fucking great, as do the Apaches mind you, I really dig the Nick Johnston set as well, but haven't tried them personally....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

CS '69s for that big, sparkly thing. John Mayer's 'Where The Light Is' album has the greatest Strat tones IMHO. Really clear and incredibly strong - no ice-pick either. I think the Dumbles might help of course (a bit...) but the online blah blah I've read often suggests CS 69 pickups as being a good choice in recreating that album's tones.

I've also liked BK Irish Tours and what was probaby CS 60s in my last Strat. They had a really cool, dirty, gritty blues character to them. They were the ones with the beveled magnets.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Was hoping you'd jump in, Molly. I've been thinking about that set too. I think Cdog might have that set...

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

The custom shop 69's are great. I love the SD ss-1l California vintage set. I also have the BKP apaches (as JB mentioned) and a set of 61's. They're all (+ more!) Going to get played this Saturday (21st) at Christchurch gearfest. Stay tuned for results!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall has had a few in various Strats. I think there are Don Mare's in the one he sold me (but not 100%). They sound great, whatever they are.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kdawg2a wrote:The custom shop 69's are great. I love the SD ss-1l California vintage set. I also have the BKP apaches (as JB mentioned) and a set of 61's. They're all (+ more!) Going to get played this Saturday (21st) at Christchurch gearfest. Stay tuned for results!
Just a week away! Never realised. I'll bring my CS69 equipped Mexi though I think those pickups are better in a rosewood guitar.

All that said, the nicest sounding Strats I've had have had one thing in common. A light ash body. I had a blue, heavy relic '55 that I think wins for me. Always comparing with memory of course so not a true side-by-side and the amps would've been different too.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I like SSL-1s for that vintage strat thing.

Kinda tempted to try the bridge cruisers again, although I had them once and they didn't work that well for me. Saying that, it's been years and I know a lot more about EQ now.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

I have stock CS Fat 50s in one, Fender Lace in my fav and Bill Lawrence Keystones in my 3rd Strat
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Thanks folks. Looking at a partscaster build, so most helpful.

Picked up an unused MJT body for a little less than I would have needed new, so now - as Danny said to me when I saw him last - it’s all over. I’m gonna have to keep going now!

Had my eye on some of the loaded kits at Stratosphere.

I had my eyes and ears on the ‘69s, so that feedback is great. Can get a pickguard loaded with CS ‘69s for around 450 landed. Seems to be a relatively good deal for someone who can’t solder for shit...

Now, to find a neck...
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

MattH wrote:Thanks folks. Looking at a partscaster build, so most helpful.

Picked up an unused MJT body for a little less than I would have needed new, so now - as Danny said to me when I saw him last - it’s all over. I’m gonna have to keep going now!

Had my eye on some of the loaded kits at Stratosphere.

I had my eyes and ears on the ‘69s, so that feedback is great. Can get a pickguard loaded with CS ‘69s for around 450 landed. Seems to be a relatively good deal for someone who can’t solder for shit...

Now, to find a neck...
Subscribed. :-)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

If I was you. I'd think about the amp(s) you're using now and work backwards from there. You want something that matches with the amount of 'juice' you give the amp to make it overdrive at the point you like it. Think about what guitars/pickup combinations work the best now? If those combinations are lacking, you could tyr and find something that fills the gap? Or if they are really good, find something of a similar output level? Also magnets etc make a difference. :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

AiRdAd wrote:If I was you. I'd think about the amp(s) you're using now and work backwards from there. You want something that matches with the amount of 'juice' you give the amp to make it overdrive at the point you like it. Think about what guitars/pickup combinations work the best now? If those combinations are lacking, you could tyr and find something that fills the gap? Or if they are really good, find something of a similar output level? Also magnets etc make a difference. :-)
So true and two others I've found after years of experimentation are that pickup height and different strings can both make significant differences. I changed awhile ago to flatwounds and that changed both my tones and even my playing technique.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

If I back-off the preamp on my RK50 from one o'clock to twelve I get a completely different dynamic thing going on that makes me favour one guitar over another. Strat on the lower, Tele on the higher. If I hit the boost it makes me want to play on humbuckers. So, yeah. Amps will play a part.

What tone do you have in your head?