Compressors: SORTED & NPD (Boss Content!)

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Compressors: SORTED & NPD (Boss Content!)

Post by Cdog »

Have a bit of GAS for some nice compressor action. Never been a fan of full squeeze, I like the subtle dynamic control sort of thing. Ideas?

Anyone tried one of these?

Last edited by Cdog on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Re: Compressors

Post by NippleWrestler »

The eqd warden is the best I've used and it lives on my board.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I'll be selling a Pigtronix Philosopher's Rock soon if you would have any interest.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

robthemac wrote:I'll be selling a Pigtronix Philosopher's Rock soon if you would have any interest.
Cheers rob, I'll check them out. :)

Finally got the youtube embed to work in OP :roll:
I'm really interested in this Boss CP1x. Wondering if anyone has tried it?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Compressors are like cold drinks; there's huge variety and flavour.
Mine's a Keeley; one of the latest versions. Subtle to sustain, and selector for singles or humbuggys.
I'm happy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Depends if you want a compressor as an effect - like using a Ross compressor to do a bit of chicken picking in country - or something to smooth out and sweeten your playing.

Which are you thinking?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

TmcB wrote:Depends if you want a compressor as an effect - like using a Ross compressor to do a bit of chicken picking in country - or something to smooth out and sweeten your playing.

Which are you thinking?
The latter methinks?

When I play I like to control dynamics with my fingers and volume control on the guitar. I've been playing a plexi-style amp on the verge of breakup for years, enjoing it's natural overdrive compression. My new Super Reverb is bigger, cleaner and more dynamic. It won't hesitate to punch me in the face if I miss-pick a note to strongly (for that matter everybody else too) :lol:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Mine has 2 uses:
Boosting sustain for single note and occasional slide pieces.
Fiddly fingerpicking. It makes life so much easier for things like Sultans of Swing.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Seargent Muzicky
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Seargent Muzicky »

I'm selling a Keeley 4 knob. Subjective but probably the nicest I've heard. Just redundant as I get plenty of compression from my amp. Trades maybe.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Had a dig and found a janglebox PCB in my stash. Think I'll box or up with a clean blend and have a play :)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Alright Gas is activated... Ego compressor

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I really like the sound of the one orange makes, looks cool too!!

Had a couple of philosophers tones, excellent pedals, also the ehx tone corset, was decent but could get body, also a Keeley gc-2 (subtle, but incredible).
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

This has got me interested. For those of us whose technical ability peaks at forgetting what gauge strings we use, in laymans terms, what does a compressor do? I like the idea of boosted chicken pickin`.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

kdawg2a wrote:This has got me interested. For those of us whose technical ability peaks at forgetting what gauge strings we use, in laymans terms, what does a compressor do? I like the idea of boosted chicken pickin`.
A compressor reduces the difference between loud and soft by catching the loud sounds with a big fluffy pillow before they get too loud. There's all sort of controls you can get depending on what you want.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Cdog wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:This has got me interested. For those of us whose technical ability peaks at forgetting what gauge strings we use, in laymans terms, what does a compressor do? I like the idea of boosted chicken pickin`.
A compressor reduces the difference between loud and soft by catching the loud sounds with a big fluffy pillow before they get too loud. There's all sort of controls you can get depending on what you want.
IIRC compressors that come with oodles of knobs let you control the thickness and density of said pillow too. I remember seeing videos that show the effects of a compressor on the waveform. That's the trouble for me. I can see it in the waveform, but could not feel or hear it in my playing!